Latest post Thu, Jul 16 2009 4:38 AM by nick batzdorf. 20 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 13 2009 9:24 PM

MC 3.5.4 is not hanging anymore while initializing audio under 10.5.7

Problem identified.

I haven't tested all the audio interface drivers I had installed, but I can confirm that MC 3.5.4 (and 3.5.1 and 3.5.0) will hang while initializing audio IF you have the Metric Halo driver MIODriver_5.0d74 installed under Mac OS X 10.5.7.

Audio drivers are found in System->Library->Extensions. Note that this is the global Libraries folder, not the user one normally identified by a ~. So you can't set up a user account without that driver installed, unfortunately.

• Mon, Jul 13 2009 9:27 PM In reply to

Re: MC 3.4.4 still hanging while initializing audio under 10.5.7

3.4.4?  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Jul 13 2009 10:38 PM In reply to

3.5.4. That was a typo, not a thinko. Obviously I'm talking about the one that was just posted today, which was hopefully going to solve the problem. :(

• Mon, Jul 13 2009 10:44 PM In reply to

Ah, just making sure - with the flurry of releases and patch versions lately you never can tell

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 12:28 AM In reply to

I have yet to see the MC screen - ever. The software has never launched on my system, and I have no idea what MC even looks like.

My guess is that the 3.0 disc I started with doesn't install all the components in the right place, so the updaters aren't updating it properly. But I don't know.

I do have Pro Tools 8 installed already, so maybe that's part of the confusion.

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 12:36 AM In reply to

"... so the updaters aren't updating it properly ..."

When you did "updates" (other than 3.1.3.2 which was a patch), did you do an uninstall first, as per the Readme?  Except for 3.1.3.2, all versions are complete installers, not just updates.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 1:07 AM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Nick, Please uninstall everything related to the Avid from your system (Except your project folders of course) and install only the version you want to run.

If that does not work, please call in to support and have them work through this with you. They will get it solved.

Is this still that system that you bought second hand? If so, as people have mentioned to you, you really need to reinitialize the OS on that system and install the Avid clean. You are having a lot of conflict errors that could be due to old software on your CPU. Until you can start clean, you won't be able to know if it's a problem with the Avid.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 2:23 AM In reply to

Thank BLKDOG. I'll uninstall and try again, and if that doesn't work then I'll call support. Randall, I didn't uninstall - thanks.

But reinstalling from scratch on this machine is simply not an option. It would literally take weeks - I have way too much music and audio software on it. However, everything I have is clean and neat - there's no crap that doesn't have to be there.

Question: does Avid use CoreAudio? I wonder whether that's where the conflicts are, because I do have a number of audio interfaces coming and going (including Pro Tools and M-Audio ones!), and it is hanging while trying to initialize audio.

And there are no project folders - I haven't ever been able to launch the software to create any projects.

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 2:29 AM In reply to

Also, no, this isn't second hand - it's new, first hand.

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 3:04 AM In reply to

Just as a test ..... and because hard drives are cheap .... get a second drive, and do the clean install of the OS.  Then, only install Avid.  See if Avid works.  Is so, you have your answer.  Pop your old drive in an empty bay, and use the stuff off there.

"... It would literally take weeks ..."

But, haven't you already spent weeks without a running system?  I'm just sayin'.

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    (wwld)

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 5:23 AM In reply to

Randall, I have a complicated mult-computer music system that runs perfectly day in and out. I edit and publish a magazine about music software called Virtual Instruments, and we're always reviewing software. That's the system I use professionally, in fact one of the programs I have installed is Pro Tools - and yes, it's working fine.

And I have plenty of hard drives, in fact I could easily install MC on a MacBook Pro or one of my Windows machines. If I were relying on it professionally that's what I'd have to do. 

But I don't want to; I want MC installed on this machine so I can learn to use it. I would use it to edit tutorial videos if it were working, so in that sense it's professional, but my main reason is to work with my teenage daughter, who has an interest in making videos.

Obviously MC will install on most systems, and I know it'll work fine if I install it on a clean hard drive. That won't help me.

I haven't ever worked with Avid before, but Digidesign is always a turtle rather than a hare - they release software rarely and (with a few notable exceptions) when you stick to recommended systems it's solid.

Anyway, if you saw how full of software the shelves in my studio are, you'd understand why starting from scratch with a clean system is totally out of the question. This system is only conflicting with MC or v.v., and I can't afford to shoot flies with an anti-aircraft gun.

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 6:50 AM In reply to

Question: how do I deactivate the program before removing it (since I can't start the program)?

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 7:01 AM In reply to

"... I have a complicated mult-computer music system ..."

Yeah, you've said that before.  If you're not willing to try some of these diagnostics, you may never get MC running ... at least on that system.  In the end, it "may" require a full reinstall of that system.  If that's not acceptable, I'm not sure what your best option is.

(wwld)

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 1:35 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

So, Yes, MC does work with core audio and that is, most likely, the issue here. On a MAc, the MC software likes to be the only software using core audio. Sometimes you can get it to work by making it the FIRST software to access CA and then install the other software after.

If you need all of that Audio software on this partition with the MC, I'm afraid you are going to have a rough time of it. Best to install a second HD for the Avid.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Jul 15 2009 5:45 PM In reply to

I'm on the phone with a very good tech support guy (from Avid) right now, but thanks BLKDOG, I'll try removing all the drivers. There's really only one I need at the moment (Metric Halo), now that audio-over-ethernet is working. :)

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller