Latest post Wed, Jul 15 2009 5:30 PM by David Heinz. 19 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 26 2009 8:10 PM

• shoffner
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 25 2006
    • Posts 71
    • Points 1,065

avid composer slow opening and closing projects/bins

hi,

i just purchased the latest avid media composer and have noticed that it is super slow opening and closing projects/bins...is there anything i can do about this? i have a mac 2 x 2.26 gGHZ Quad-Core Intel Xeon with 6gb memory...

thanks very much!

steven 

WINDOWS XP PRO SERVICE PACK 2 INTEL(R) PENTIUM(R) 3.40GHZ 2.0 GB RAM ATI X800 250MB GRAPHICS CARD EXTREME SOUND 5.1 SOUND CARD FIREWIRE/USB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 26 2009 8:36 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: avid composer slow opening and closing projects/bins

Usually when this happens it's due to storage issues. Try disconnecting the storage and tell us if things speed up. IF so, what is the storage you are using and how is it connected?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Fri, Jun 26 2009 8:41 PM In reply to

• shoffner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 71
    • Points 1,065

i have two external hard drives running currently...connected via firewire 400 to 800 into my mac...one is full of media, the other is empty...

i never had a problem with my other avid express pro hd on my pc...only having this issue with my mac...which is a way better computer ;)

any ideas?

thanks!

WINDOWS XP PRO SERVICE PACK 2 INTEL(R) PENTIUM(R) 3.40GHZ 2.0 GB RAM ATI X800 250MB GRAPHICS CARD EXTREME SOUND 5.1 SOUND CARD FIREWIRE/USB [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jun 26 2009 8:47 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee

Yep, disconnect the storage and tell me if it's still slow.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 9:52 PM In reply to

• shoffner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 71
    • Points 1,065

hello,

yes it is very slow still even without media storage. this is becoming a problem because now i dont want to close bins cause it takes at least 15 seconds to close each one. it says "saving" for a bit then it closes. this doesnt make much sense to me cause i am working with far superior machine than my last.

any thoughts?

thanks,

steven

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 9:58 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee

Ok, in that case, I have to ask if you have at least 3 gigs of Ram are you running the Avid 3gig patch?). If you do, you have to look at the HD itself as a source of the problem. If this were me, I would first Run a disk repair program and make sure the permissions have been repaired. If that fails, I would then create a new OS user and see if things are better there. If not, I would wipe the HD, and run the disk repair program on it again. Then I would install Avid fresh and see if the problem persists. If, after all that, the Avid still runs slowly, then there may be other issues.

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 10:22 PM In reply to

• shoffner
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 71
    • Points 1,065

hi there,

i have 6gb of RAM on my mac, but i do not sure what you mean about the avid 3gb patch? is that something that i have to buy seperately?

thanks,

steven

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 10:44 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee

No, in your installers you will find a file called "3gb.exe". You need to run that in order for the Avid to fully address all of the ram that it needs. When you start up, you should see an option to choose this config during boot.

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 10:45 PM In reply to

Um, 3gb.exe doesn't help so much on a Mac Confused

Symphony 8.8.x w/Avid Nitris DX, HP z420, Windows 10, QT v7.7.x, Hexa Core 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, nVidia Quadro Series 2000 w/353.82. 2TB Boot, 2 x 3TB internal... [view my complete system specs]

"There are few technological barriers.  You can fix almost anything if you throw enough money at it."
    Randall L. Rike, ACI, ACSR Mac*Win*Unity*ISIS*DS
    Systems Engineer @ BET Networks [a Viacom company]
    (wwld)

• Mon, Jun 29 2009 10:49 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee

Yeah, I just saw that. In the Mac forum but the system specs specify a PC. After he said it was a Mac I did the DOH!

So, no 3gb.exe for you. Let's move on to the other trouble shooting steps.

• Mon, Jul 6 2009 6:15 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 401
    • Points 5,170

I have multiple systems running both MC 3.5 and 3.1.  The 3.5 systems (both pc and mac) are experiencing the same issue. The 3.1 systems do not. We are running these systems on a three different Unity systems and had believed this was related to running 3.5 while connected to a Unity. When we disconnected a 3.5 system from the Unity and attached an external SATA RAID the problem went away. Were told by support that this is a known issue and is being worked on though our issue does have to do with the Unity and 3.5 which does not apply to you.

You might try installing 3.1 instead of 3.5 to see if this solves the problem. This could rule our any hardware issues.  Just a thought.

-cable

8 x Media Composer 2020 HP Z4 64GB RAM AJA and Blackmagic Avid Nexis Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 6 2009 9:02 PM In reply to

What version of 3.5?  I thought 3.5.2 was supposed to fix some general slowness of the editor software...

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Tue, Jul 7 2009 11:46 PM In reply to

• cable
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, May 27 2007
    • Pacific NW
    • Posts 401
    • Points 5,170

Is there a version 3.5.2?  It does not seem to be in the Download Center. We are running 3.5.1.  We are eager for a 3.5.2 however hoping that it will fix this issue. I have two new Nehalem macs fully loaded ready go to but can't use them until this slowness is fixed (we can't use anything lower than 3.5.x on the new systems).

8 x Media Composer 2020 HP Z4 64GB RAM AJA and Blackmagic Avid Nexis Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jul 8 2009 4:59 PM In reply to

Turns out v3.5.2 was a limited customer release for those experiencing issues on Unity.  May not be related to the issue you are seeing.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Wed, Jul 8 2009 6:54 PM In reply to

The first thing to do these days when something gets balky is to trash the .avs file from the offending project.  Fixes lots and lots o' issues.  Give it a go.

Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, 12-Core MacPro, 64 GB RAM, 24 TB Thunderbolt Storage [view my complete system specs]

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth. Motion Inc

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller