Latest post Sun, Apr 19 2009 12:51 AM by smyers63. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 18 2009 8:47 PM

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,793
    • Points 44,875
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Preserving history

Most of my video work is archiving and sometimes restoring old film or video material.  This was a natural progression from my long-time passion for restoring and archiving old audio recordings (from tape, phonograph records, Edison cylinders, player piano rolls, etc.).  This work also fits right in with my love of antique cameras, projectors, phonographs, and so on.  All of this is side-line work.  My regular occupation is in another field.

The video material I work with ranges from historic news footage to a family's home movies.  A lot of satisfaction comes from preserving material that maybe the younger generations now aren't interested in but could very well be interested in later.   We sometimes don't know what we'll miss years from now until we get there and don't have it.

Films and videos are a snapshot of the time in which they were made.  The sights, sounds, and attitudes of their era are locked in that footage.  I find these materials a valuable asset to protect and keep available for future generations and greatly enjoy my involvement with them.

Scott

• Sat, Apr 18 2009 9:19 PM In reply to

Re: Preserving history

Here's a related thread I think you might find interesting, and still ultimately unresolved.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, Apr 19 2009 12:51 AM In reply to

• smyers63
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Feb 16 2006
    • Dallas, Texas
    • Posts 3,793
    • Points 44,875
    • Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Preserving history

You're right, Larry.  I am very interested in that subject, not only because of my archiving activity but also because I've been in the electronics field in one way or another for about three decades.  Thanks for the link.

Scott

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller