Latest post Sat, Apr 11 2009 9:37 AM by mjolnarn. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Apr 6 2009 12:07 PM

• aldudeau
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Dec 3 2005
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285

Exporting Pal Project to NTSC Deck

Hi everyone,

A film that I've recently edited in PAL on MC has been accepted into a film festival in US and they're asking me to send a mini dv that is NTSC. How would I go about exporting the PAL project onto an NTSC deck with no sound/visual issues (well duh).

Any help would be appreciated. I have MC, Procoder and a few other encoding tools as well as NTSC Deck .I've created NTSC DVD's before with procoder without any problems. Obviously, I'd want the quality on the dv tape to be as high as possible.

Best thanks,

Alex

Athlon XP 2600+ 1GB Ram Jetway Via Chipset Motherboard Nvidia FX5200 Via 1394 Card SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Gigabyte 8X DVD Burner ---------------... [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , , ,
  • Mon, Apr 6 2009 12:54 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

Re: Exporting Pal Project to NTSC Deck

Alex, I have done this hundreds of times with Liquid, don´t know if the trial of Liquid will give you waterstamps, it is on the same trial site as MC 3,5.

My guess in MC would be to first create a qt ref, colourspace RGB from your Pal project and then create a new Ntsc project and import your qt ref into that one.

Maybe you also need to add a timewarp filter to your video to get it right in speed.

If this shouldn´t work for you, the Liquid way is safe and easy, I be happy to help you if needed, the workflow is similar to what I just described.

And all those workflows are for doing exports to tapes of course.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Apr 7 2009 12:10 AM In reply to

• aldudeau
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285

Thanks Tomas,

I will give your method a go. I've also got a friend with a Liquid setup so your workflow for that would be great also!

Thanks again,

Alex

Athlon XP 2600+ 1GB Ram Jetway Via Chipset Motherboard Nvidia FX5200 Via 1394 Card SoundBlaster Live 5.1 Gigabyte 8X DVD Burner ---------------... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 7 2009 4:43 AM In reply to

Trying a PAL/NTSC conversion through Quicktime Reference movies will yield very poor quality.  This and frame rate conversion (like 24P to 60i) is a very weak point on AVID systems.  I would either rent a hardware converter, take your master to a reputable format conversion house or use a software solution such as ProCoder or CarbonCoder which ounce you figure out the proper settings, can yield fairly good results.

Thierry.

Media Composer Nitris DX 3.5 HP XW8600 workstation Windows Vista Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Apr 7 2009 5:06 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

This is one of the parts where Liquid is strong, no need to go outside the family, just put your media on a Liquid timeline with enbedded audio so that you only are seeing one timeline named AV ( for Video and Audio ) add the timewarp to it, can be done with the right mouse button or dragging the filter manually and then convert the video and audio at the same time, settings for the filter should be 100 %

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Tue, Apr 7 2009 5:55 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

If You want a software solution check THIS.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Apr 7 2009 6:09 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

luca.mg:

If You want a software solution check THIS.

I am sure of that thera are lots of software out there for converting, more or less expensive and some of them with trials, i was just talking out of my own experience about what Liquid can do when it comes to converting of fields and frames.

Tomas 

• Tue, Apr 7 2009 6:32 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

Tomas, if it was me I would bring my tape to a post house for hardware conversion or try some trick with Synphony's universal mastering: time remapping may create funny motion AFAICT, but that is my personal POV; as we were all trying to help the OP in regards to software convertion I just gave Him one more option.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Fri, Apr 10 2009 11:46 AM In reply to

• aldudeau
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 24
    • Points 285

Thanks a lot for your suggestings guys, here's where I'm at.

I've tried using Procoder and Atlantis and the results aren't great. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong though. I'll break down into more detail.

In Avid I have applied the FluidFilm effect and exported it all to a QTRef

I Import this QTref into Procoder and apply the quick DV Quicktime Preset for NTSC. This is where I start getting confused. Because of fluidfilm, my QTref is progressive right? But Procoder interprets it as a lower field first. When I add the preset, it sometimes defaults to either Upper field or Lower field. I've becoming pretty confused as to the field settings.

Having done the conversion in Procoder and Atlantis, the footage is quite soft and has a very noticeable blur effect during motion. I know this is due to the frame rate stuff but is there any way to remove it? When I render out from ProCoder with both fields on lower field first, I get a nice crisp footage but it has the interlace lines. When I put it into Avid, it interprets the fields but makes the resulting video very soft.

Keeping in mind that I need to export back to NTSC tape, any field settings, conversion settings, aspect ratio settings would help a lot.

Best,

Alex

• Fri, Apr 10 2009 2:09 PM In reply to

• PPavel
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 9 2006
    • Brno, Czech Republic
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,415

Simply don't apply anything in Avid and let the Procoder handle all the conversion. Make sure your processing setting in Procoder are Always Interpolate or Automatic.

PP

MC 3.0.5, Mojo, Dell 670, 2x Xeon 3.2GHz, 2GB RAM, nVidia Quadro FX4000, Win XP SP2 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Sat, Apr 11 2009 9:37 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

aldudeau:

I've tried using Procoder and Atlantis and the results aren't great. I'm pretty sure I'm doing something wrong though. I'll break down into more detail.

And your friend with Liquid, did you try that workflow

Tomas 

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller