Latest post Wed, Feb 7 2024 3:22 PM by Luke S. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 30 2024 4:05 PM

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,850
    • Points 259,260
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Idea [I] Alert: Avid NEXIS metadata and Avid NEXIS E2 SSD drive firmware update

Avid NEXIS metadata and Avid NEXIS E2 SSD drive firmware update

---------------------- 

Avid NEXIS metadata

What is the issue: [bug SSENG-32169] The Avid NEXIS system stopped responding while creating Workspaces.               

This is an odd corner case where a Workspace does not get created or deleted correctly leads to metadata not being able to load. The system is down and needs extensive assistance from Avid support. 

The good news:  The issue is fixed in Avid NEXIS 2022.9 (and newer) 

https://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/AvidNEXIS/AvidNEXIS_ReadMe_v22.9.0.pdf

The Call to Action: Have EVERYONE you know upgrade all their Avid NEXIS storage system core to 2022.9 or newer 

As above, an upgrade to Avid NEXIS 2022.9 or later will avoid this issue. The fix in 2022.9 prevents the issue but cannot ‘fix’ the issue on a lower version system by simply upgrading – meaning you cannot wait and upgrade if you hit it – the upgrade must be NOW

As mentioned previously, the compatibility of Avid NEXIS and other systems such as Media Composer, Pro Tools* MediaCentral** and 3rd party applications is dependent on the Avid NEXIS Client version (not so much the Avid NEXIS core version) – meaning you can upgrade the Avid NEXIS core (to get protection from this and other fixes) and leave some clients on the older version (if needed) for compatibility reasons. 

* for Pro Tools on Avid NEXIS – we recommend Avid NEXIS 2023.12 and Pro Tools 2023.12 to benefit from recent performance and stability enhancements 

** Certain MediaCentral (Interplay) components (Media Indexer, Transfer Manager) strongly recommend Avid NEXIS Client 2023.12 

-----------------------

Avid NEXIS E2 SSD drive firmware update

A drive firmware update is available for Avid NEXIS E2 SSD  (the older 2U12 not the new F2 SSD) – this firmware update avoids a drive stability issue. 

A drive firmware is available. They are performed remotely by Avid CS. The firmware update requires a short maintenance window (each drive upgrade is approx. 5 seconds) 

Customers with Avid NEXIS E2 SSD should contact Avid CS and open a case.  

Questions, let me know.

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 30 2024 5:03 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2011
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,150

Re: Alert: Avid NEXIS metadata and Avid NEXIS E2 SSD drive firmware update

To be specific, this bug was introduced in nexis 2021.8 and fixed in nexis 2022.9. If you are on versions before that, we were told you are ok.

So anything on or between 2021.8 through 2022.5 can have this issue.

• Tue, Jan 30 2024 10:21 PM In reply to

Of course the fix is in 2022.9 and not prior....

MC 2023.8, W11, ASUS z690m, Intel 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim Liquid, 128GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Ventura... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 31 2024 1:22 PM In reply to

• kkordisch
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Dec 5 2011
    • Posts 171
    • Points 2,150

Yes. But if your nexis is on a version before 2021.8, you should be good (so we were told). I know this because this happened to us this weekend and we are the reason for this alert. The blurb in the fixed section of the 2022.9 readme does not make it seem critical at alll to udpate. It is 100% essential and pushing out this alert is great!  Avid was able to recover the nexis after writing a special patch and manually fixing the metadata. It took 2 days. It is much appreciated but it was it a bit scary that all we did was make a workspace and it corrupted the metadata.  This nexis had been on that version for over 2 years without issue.

• Wed, Feb 7 2024 8:18 AM In reply to

• atv2021
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 5 2022
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

I don't seems to see it in the download center.  2021.3 is the latest ? Am using 2022.5 and 2021.5.

• Wed, Feb 7 2024 3:22 PM In reply to

• Luke S
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 19 2021
    • Poland
    • Posts 19
    • Points 210
    • Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS & NEXIS EDGE
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products
      Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom

Latest NEXIS installers are no longer available in the downlaod center, as they are only available to users with active support contract. You will find it in "My products" tab (dropdown under "Avid NEXIS VFS Subsription").

MBP M1 Max, 64gig, Ventura 13.4.1 [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller