Latest post Fri, Apr 5 2024 1:29 PM by Philip Kapadia. 8 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jan 29 2024 11:20 PM

Linked media cropping to clean aperture with no way to see full raster

Hi there! I've never encountered this before and have searched high and low for a solution and can't find any other case of this happening on the web.

I have material from two Panasonic cameras (Varicam and EVA) with "Clean Aperture" metadata. Specifically, "Clean aperture width: 1 888 pixels" and "Clean aperture height: 1 062 pixels" 

I do understand the concept of clean aperture and I would not expect that when linking to clips Media Composer would centre crop to the clean aperture as default behaviour and certainly not without a way of removing the crop. However, that's exactly what it's doing.

Just looking at the clips in Media Composer vs other apps there is a visually obvious crop, and when opening the Frameflex source settings, the Raster dimension read-out is 1888x1062, not 1920x1080. 

I can change the destination Image size, but not the source Raster dimension. None of the Reformat options like Stretch, Letterbox, or Center Crop etc make any dfference. 

Resolve brings the clips in displaying the full uncropped raster of 1920x1080 (which is what I would expect from every professional video app) and while Premiere does initially only display the clean aperture, it has an interpretation setting that allows you to change this behaviour to instead display the full raster.

I've co-ordinated with the camera department and they have gone through the camera settings and manuals and can find no mention of clean aperture anywhere, so I'm not sure how to fix this from the camera side of things.

The project raster dimension is 1920x1080. The camera original raster dimension is 1920x1080. But Media Composer will only display an 1888x1062 centre crop because of the clean aperture metadata?!

How do I stop Media Composer from applying this erronious 1.67% scale?! 

• Tue, Jan 30 2024 1:24 AM In reply to

Re: Linked media cropping to clean aperture with no way to see full raster

This seems to be a bug with the UME plug-in.

In the Source Browser, using the default UME plug-in, the raster dimension is erroneously being reported as the clean aperture dimension...

If you right-click the clip in the Source Browser and change the plug-in from UME to the Quicktime plug-in, the raster dimension is correctly reported as 1920x1080...

And the linked clip now correctly displays the full raster without the clean aperture centre crop.

How many people aren't noticing that they're zooming into their material by 1.67%?! That number may seem small, but it is more than enough to soften the image to a degree that I would consider to be an unacceptable degredation of picture quality.

This is a serious bug, I reckon!  

• Tue, Jan 30 2024 4:49 PM In reply to

• José Brea
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 26 2014
    • Posts 2
    • Points 20

Hello everybody. I just registered to confirm this issue.

In our case we record some TV shows on several Blackmagic Hyperdecks and with .mov files they append the clean aperture flag (WHY???, I don't know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯) and can't be disabled. These are an old model that only record 2 audio channels on .mxf files so .mov files are our only option as we need to record 10 audio channels.

When we link those 1920x1080i50 .mov files in Avid Media Composer Ultimate 2023.12 with the UME plugin the video is cropped to 1888x1062 and then resized and we weren't able to return the video to its full raster size in any way we tried. We finally resorted to link those files with the Quicktime plugin, but that's a suboptimal solution for several reasons.

It would be nice to be able to ignore that clean aperture flag somehow, via the console or some other way in the case that is the expected behaviour. Otherwise, please fix the bug.

I agree with Alastair that this issue degrades picture quality unnacceptably.

Any help or further insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards.

HP Z6 2xIntel(R) Xeon(R) Gold 6226 Avid Certified Workstation 96GB RAM, Nvidia RTX A4000, Windows 11 Pro for Workstations NEXIS STORAGE [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Feb 1 2024 9:31 PM In reply to

Hi Avid support :)

Just bumping this as there hasn't been a reply.

This is a crazy serious issue for anyone using Avid to create mez media used for finishing rather than linking back to camera neg for the finish!

We currently have AE's having to manually switch the plug-in from UME to Quicktime for EVERY card they ingest because the setting is not remembered. That adds up to a phenominal waste of their time on a 5-nights a week show!

Please can it be acknowledged?

Thanks heaps!

Al

• Sun, Mar 31 2024 11:32 PM In reply to

3 months later and still not even an acknowledgement that this is an issue?!

C'mon team Avid... what the heck?

• Mon, Apr 1 2024 10:22 AM In reply to

Hello Alastair, thanks for raising this. 

I have asked a person from our community team to get a support case going for you and transfer it to me; if I can reproduce this, I can log this as a defect. 

• Fri, Apr 5 2024 11:30 AM In reply to

Dear Philip,

yes, I can confirm this exact problem (avid MC 2022.12.4), we currently see it on material recorded with Aja KiPro Quad recorders in ProRes422, if we link it with ama / ume link. He automatically applies frame flex, zooms in, no way of preventing this wrong behaviour inside mediacomposer. We couldn´t find a setting inside the aja kipro quad to disable the clean aperture metadata being written in the files.

Our workaround is, that we don´t ingest through ama (UME Link), instead we use our central ingest server and the tool luckily ignores the "clean aperture" metadata, so we have correct resolution of footage inside the avid MC.

I can also provide sample data if it helps your for reproducing the error.

Best regards

Avid MC 2022.12.4 / BMD Decklink Cards / HP z840 + HPz2g5 and other Wkst (Custom) / Windows 10 Pro 64bit / winVer 22H2 / Interplay - Media Central Production... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 5 2024 12:36 PM In reply to

Didn't Quicktime Player Pro used to let you alter the CLAP flag? It was under the movie properties tab. There also used to be a program called JES Extensifier which definitely allowed you to do this, although that one hasn't been updated in years and won't run on new Mac OS - I could run it on Mojave but not on Big Sur. Maybe you could find some way to run it and pre-treat the files before they come in to MC? Although that is basically what you are doing with your ingest server so it's much of a muchness really. Shame all these useful old tools are no longer maintained. Cinema Tools comes to mind as a useful one too. 

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Apr 5 2024 1:29 PM In reply to

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller