Latest post Thu, Feb 8 2024 3:25 PM by ripvanmarlowe. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Jan 28 2024 11:21 AM

Batch bin creation from list...

Would love to be able to create all my bins at once just by copy and pasting a text file of all their names in to an Avid-based batch bin creator interface. Say I've got 25 bins that need creating, currently I am just Cmd+N>copy+paste for every single one.

I realise that Source Browser has the "Create bin based on folder" option but that is not a refined enough workflow. It often creates bins named on sub folders, adds files that don't need adding, doesn't link to files that should be linked and is just generally only worth using in specific circumstances. If you are dealing with lots of media from multiple different cameras then it struggles to be useful and I need to be able to select specific files to link to and others to avoid. Source browser is too much of a blunt instrument to do that effectively.

All I want is to be able to highlight my folders in finder, copy all their names at once (this option doesn't work on a PC btw), then paste them in to avid and have it make me bins with the same name as the folders. I don't need it to link anything, I just want the bins. This would be a huge timesaver.

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 28 2024 11:33 AM In reply to

Re: Batch bin creation from list...

Then add to this the ability to have any clips I do link in these new bins inherit the bin name as metadata in columns I specify. Similar to the Resolve option "Assist using reel names from the Mediapool fodler name".

This way, the bins are swiftly created with the correct names and then any clips I link in to these bins have the Disk label column pre-filled with the roll number (bin name).

Or even better, multiple columns can be filled, so for example I always use Disk label with Roll number and the Tape ID as source drive - i.e. the drive that these rushes have been linked from. So we get a setting dialog that allows us to inherit the bin name in a column and then add whatever text we want to any other column available to us. Then allow us to link that to specific workspace settings like "Ingest". Everything is laid out for ingesting, keyboard shortcuts are in place, all bins autofill info when this workspace is recalled. You get the idea. 

Basically the main pain point of ingest is creating bins and adding metadata to columns manually.

Now someone's going to tell me this is all sorted in 2023.12?

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2022.10 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9 32GB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 28 2024 11:49 AM In reply to

And now I'm looking further in to this - Bulk edit is not quite there either as you can add text from a column but the option to use the bin name as your source is not available. So Avid, I would like to see additional functionality added to Bulk edit to make it something that you can use to set up bin metadata BEFORE linking, not just after and you need to expand th options to include bin name. 

Andi

• Sun, Jan 28 2024 3:52 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:

And now I'm looking further in to this - Bulk edit is not quite there either as you can add text from a column but the option to use the bin name as your source is not available. So Avid, I would like to see additional functionality added to Bulk edit to make it something that you can use to set up bin metadata BEFORE linking, not just after and you need to expand th options to include bin name. 

Andi

+1 Would be terrific."Bulk Edit AI". 

-Telegram!

• Thu, Feb 8 2024 3:25 PM In reply to

ripvanmarlowe:
    Would love to be able to create all my bins at once just by copy and pasting a text file of all their names in to an Avid-based batch bin creator interface

And now I can.

On this website I can paste a list of folder names that I have just shift+selected from Finder, in to a window and hit "Generate bins" and I am given a download link to a zip file which contains all of my bins. I just created 25 bins in about 2 seconds, all named correctly. That would have taken waaaaay longer if I had to Create new bin > copy folder name > paste folder name to new bin > repeat x 25

Avid - I am going to be using this, but I would definitely prefer if this was built in to MC. Some random internet guy or gal has managed to sort this out in their spare time, why can't you?

Andi

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller