Latest post Tue, Oct 10 2023 12:39 PM by MylesOSS. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Aug 7 2023 5:44 PM

• ck123
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 313
    • Points 3,905

Media Composer SearchData location

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/Location-SearchData-folder?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fuser_guide%2FPro-Tools-Documentation&popup=true

In a shared storage environment, is changing the location for the SearchData folder a user, project or machine (site) setting? If we want this sent to a local machine folder do we have to instruct every single user on every single machine to make this change or can it be changed once and done?

HP z240, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, HP Z2 mini G4, Z2 mini G5, Dell Precision 3430 and 7810, Apple iMac 27-Inch (2019). All are 32GB-64GB of RAM. nVidia... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 11 2023 2:34 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,903
    • Points 259,825
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Media Composer SearchData location

ck123

I believe so but I have asked the engineers and will repond back definatlviely.

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 11 2023 4:34 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,903
    • Points 259,825
    • ! Avid Employee
      !Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Developer Moderator
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: Edit on Demand
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

ck123:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/Location-SearchData-folder?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fuser_guide%2FPro-Tools-Documentation&popup=true

In a shared storage environment, is changing the location for the SearchData folder a user, project or machine (site) setting? If we want this sent to a local machine folder do we have to instruct every single user on every single machine to make this change or can it be changed once and done?

Hi again ck123

Got your answer from engineering.......    

No, there’s no setting where you can set it as far as I know.  

in addition he told me that he made a feature request for you, :)    this topic has been bugging him for so long and he's lost so much time explaining for users that they should set their indexing location to local default (Or even a lot of customers have the feature toggle to turn off ALL indexing as they don’t want the systems to be so slow).

MCCET-5271 Feature Request - Default Indexing Location set to "Local Default" not "Project" (and Feature Toggle/Site Setting)

Hope that helps.

Marianna

Sr. Director | Customer Experience and Community [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Aug 11 2023 4:50 PM In reply to

• ck123
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 17 2013
    • PA
    • Posts 313
    • Points 3,905

Hi Marianna,

So, right now every person has to do it individually in each project they open. Got it.

Glad to see this entered as a feature request to make better/easier. I can tell everyone over and over again to do this, but they will always forget. At the very least, if it can be set as a Project setting then only one person needs to configure it correctly.

In our shared storage environment I recently deleted over 1,000,000 .pat files across dozens of projects. The shear number of these files was actually leading to very poor performance for users. Mac Media Composer 23.3, when opening a project, would scan every single other machine's .pat files in that project. It was taking an hour+ to open a project. Insanity. :0

Thanks

Charles

HP z240, HP z440, HP z840, HP Z4 G4, HP Z2 mini G4, Z2 mini G5, Dell Precision 3430 and 7810, Apple iMac 27-Inch (2019). All are 32GB-64GB of RAM. nVidia... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Oct 10 2023 12:39 PM In reply to

• MylesOSS
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 13 2018
    • London (UK)
    • Posts 15
    • Points 175

Hi Charles,

A similar situation has recently triggered our engineering team to look into this issue as well.

To answer your question, we have found it is possible to force every user to use "Local Default" avid seach data cache setting, but this can only be set when creating the project.

There is a "Search Data Folder" option that allows you to create the project with "Local Default" as the cache setting. We have tested this in a shared nexis storage environment and confirmed that the machines accessing the project all have their cache settings set to local by default.

Post Production Engineer

Avid Certified Support Representative
    Avid NEXIS
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller