Latest post Tue, Apr 18 2023 1:09 PM by Dom Q. Silverio. 29 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Feb 22 2023 11:47 PM

Isis 5000 Raid

So I have a 2nd hand ISIS and I can't quite figure out how to get the RAID array to appear in the system Director? The RAID is setup as 3x4+1 with drive 16 as the hot spare.

ISIS installer seems happy with it but how do I add it to the system director? I get a message saying no chassis found?

having read some other forums I must also add I have nothing connected to any network ports yet. Maybe I haven't configured something obvious yet?

thanks in advance :-)

• Wed, Feb 22 2023 11:54 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,436
    • Points 30,240
    • ! Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS & NEXIS EDGE
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

Re: Isis 5000 Raid

You need something, normally a switch, connected to the 10GigE NIC.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Thu, Feb 23 2023 11:23 AM In reply to

Hi,

You need at least one of the network ports to be up and through the network configuration tool, under the storage manager -  second icon, set the the storage manager to use the single 10G or multiple 1G network cards, in accordance with the way you decide to connect the clients. Direct connect 10G + 1G, through a switch with 4x 1G, through a switch with 1x 10G.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Sat, Feb 25 2023 9:37 AM In reply to

I have a Dell Force 10 S25 but not sure if it's working properly. Should I connect from 10gb NIC SFP+ to the XFP+ port on the back of the switch? I've seen cables that you can buy? Or do I just 4 x ethernets from the 1/3/4/6 ports in the main chassis of Isis?

im guessing the System Director and the Storage manager might occupy different IP's even though they are in the same system?

• Sat, Feb 25 2023 1:24 PM In reply to

bozmantate:
    Should I connect from 10gb NIC SFP+ to the XFP+ port on the back of the switch?

That is the preferred method.

bozmantate:
    I've seen cables that you can buy?

All the things you might have seen...Surprise Buying an LC-LC multimode fiber optice cable is needed if you don't have one.

bozmantate:
    Or do I just 4 x ethernets from the 1/3/4/6 ports in the main chassis of Isis?

That is another option for connecting the isis to the force10 S25 switch. Instead of 10Gb bandwidth you will have 4Gb of bandwidth from the switch to the isis.

bozmantate:
    im guessing the System Director and the Storage manager might occupy different IP's even though they are in the same system?

You are guessing wrong. Both use the same IP but different ports for the web page.

Maybe it's a good time to read the Isis setup guide

https://resources.avid.com/SupportFiles/attach/AvidISIS/AvidISIS5500SetupGuide_v4_5.pdf

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sun, Feb 26 2023 4:20 PM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:
    That is another option for connecting the isis to the force10 S25 switch

Is this an expansion or will be deployed as a 2nd standalone server?

I thought 4x1Gb was not supported if you are using the 2nd ISIS as an expansion. All servers had to be 10Gb at this point. I might be mistaken.

MC 2023.8, W11, ASUS z690m, Intel 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim Liquid, 128GB RAM, Samsung 980 Pro M2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, Ventura... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 26 2023 6:49 PM In reply to

Dom Q. Silverio:
    I thought 4x1Gb was not supported if you are using the 2nd ISIS as an expansion. All servers had to be 10Gb at this point. I might be mistaken.

No you are right. If you want to use one or more expanion chassis, 10Gb connections are required for all chassis.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Mar 29 2023 10:19 AM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

Hi,

You need at least one of the network ports to be up and through the network configuration tool, under the storage manager -  second icon, set the the storage manager to use the single 10G or multiple 1G network cards, in accordance with the way you decide to connect the clients. Direct connect 10G + 1G, through a switch with 4x 1G, through a switch with 1x 10G.

Direct connect? does this imply i can plug a client straight into the back of the isis on one of the 1Gb ports? I am waiting for cables and trancievers for 10GB card but this would be helpful for configuring in the meantime.

If i can connect direct what do i choose in storage manager/network

thank you

• Wed, Mar 29 2023 11:08 AM In reply to

bozmantate:

Direct connect? does this imply i can plug a client straight into the back of the isis on one of the 1Gb ports?

Yes that is exactly what it implies.

bozmantate:

If i can connect direct what do i choose in storage manager/network

You select: 'Clients connected directly to this ISIS (no switch)' in the network configuration tool.

Second icon from the left in the storage manager Launch pad.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Wed, Mar 29 2023 7:41 PM In reply to

i have managed to configure the network and accessed via a client machine (although now cant get flash working on that machine as Windows 10 therefore MS Edge - but thats for another day....)

i now realise that i still can't get my chassis to register in system director. I was able to 'build a media set' but nothing shows in system director pages (see pics). What am i missing here? (no doubt something obvious i imagine)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KMBa_ffZopDBK9RTIwwnLF9CVNexbpiT/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mozvRXjXqq6rpmS20WaBFZiVoXnxc26q/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1K3MSGxuu8EB9xCITo2gcZv1mY3dik64g/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kkzT_YVhRFO291ffhaqqOJSr558DlXAZ/view?usp=share_link

• Thu, Mar 30 2023 8:11 AM In reply to

Hi,

After you configure the IP's of the network cards through the network configuration tool in the storage manager launch pad (not through windows control panel), one of the network ports needs to be up when you power up the Isis.

With using direct connect that means that one client needs to be powered up, or, and I preferred that setup, I used a cheap 4-5 port gigabit switch on one of the four 1Gb ISIS connections so that 1 port is always up and also having the option to provide internet access to the ISIS through that port if needed.

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Thu, Mar 30 2023 8:51 AM In reply to

Thanks Jeroane, were you able to look at the pics? Would this resolve the storage linking issue?

thank you

• Thu, Mar 30 2023 9:41 AM In reply to

I saw the pics. Your storage manager is not binding to the network. That can happen if you change ip outside of the storage manager

Jeroen van Eekeres 

www.mediaoffline.com

• Fri, Mar 31 2023 9:28 AM In reply to

Jeroen van Eekeres:

I saw the pics. Your storage manager is not binding to the network. That can happen if you change ip outside of the storage manager

i restarted with 1 client attached but looks the same. I have included screenshots of network config and also included setrtings from the client machine for consideration

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ShEUnSdxDM67-LKitD6d1Zinauwm3RwT/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hblh0_zHzx0slmIRGtz5p78wBG1SVrNX/view?usp=share_link

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-_rFy0eonQfnEb0N7vXfdMagxtqXiE96/view?usp=share_link

Thank you again

• Fri, Mar 31 2023 10:17 AM In reply to

#####UPDATE#####

This is now working and the restart with client attached worked!

Thank you for all your help and patience

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller