Latest post Sat, Dec 17 2022 7:20 PM by mcdannyj. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 15 2022 8:21 PM

• mcdannyj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 9 2011
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,575

SubCap properties shifting when sequences are passed between Avids

Hi all!

Here's a question for the group. I'm currently on a documentary with 4 editors in 3 different time zones, and we are working remotely, all using our own Avids. Two of us are on 2022.7 and two are on 2021.12. Yes I know we should really all be on the same version of Avid... you go to war with the systems you get! Some have thought of upgrading to 2022.7 but that's practically verboten this far along. So anyway...

The show needs captions in several areas as well as lower thirds and text cards throughout. We all know that Titler+ has been... trouble... and while 2022.7 (and I'd assume 2022.10, tho that's not an option now) are the most stable version Avid has released so far... it still has some issues. For that reason I started using the Subcap plug-in to do more texts. While not quite as powerful as the title tool (no creating objects separate from the bg black box, and not having the ability to have more than one font in a single text block are the things that come to mind), the plug-in has been very useful, especially since the texts actually play in real time and don't crash the system!

The problem we seem to have is that when we hand off sequences, the parameters for any subcap text don't always stick... so different editors have to go back in and change the text size and/or position to get us back to what was originally set up.

Is this a function of our being on different versions of the Avid, or is there a way to set the subcap settings so they stick when sequences are passed between the editors?

Very curious what other people's experiences are, and if there's anything we can do to eliminate this issue.

Thanks for reading!

2019 Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel 8 Core i9 ● 64 GB RAM ● 32" Asus Proart PA329C Display ● Media Composer 23.12.0 (on Mac OS X 14.3.1) [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 17 2022 5:52 PM In reply to

Re: SubCap properties shifting when sequences are passed between Avids

I would start by making a subcap preset for your titles, and sharing it with the other editors.

subcaps settings are saved in your shared user profile, i believe under the AVX plugins folder.  (in there somewhere anyway.)

Current Avid-Z390 Win 10 Intel i9 64gig ram Nvidia A5000 MC current level - Win 10 64 Gig Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Dec 17 2022 7:20 PM In reply to

• mcdannyj
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Oct 9 2011
    • Posts 111
    • Points 1,575

Re: SubCap properties shifting when sequences are passed between Avids

Thanks for the advice! I did make several style sheets for the subcaps, but Avid doesn't have a share function within the plugin. I'll definitely share the data folder and see if it solves the problem. I'll bet it does...

2019 Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel 8 Core i9 ● 64 GB RAM ● 32" Asus Proart PA329C Display ● Media Composer 23.12.0 (on Mac OS X 14.3.1) [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller