Latest post Thu, Feb 17 2022 4:50 PM by Oh, the horror etc.. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 15 2022 8:32 PM

MC Ultimate for Catalina which version of MC ?

Because I am not very bright I wonder if someone can help me here ? I am loooking for which version of MC Ultimate is the best to use with Catalina 10.15.7. I using it fine on High Sierra but feel the need to update my OS-security and all.

Am running a late 2013 iMac 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB. / 32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Runs OK for the most part on High Sierra a few anomilies but very useable.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

• Tue, Feb 15 2022 9:14 PM In reply to

Re: MC Ultimate for Catalina which version of MC ?

I'd go with the current version 2021.12 but note due to losing quicktime in the Apple OS after Catalina some things are different re ingest and export.

Also why only upgrade to Catalina when there are 2 newer OS's after that?

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E [email protected]

• Tue, Feb 15 2022 9:58 PM In reply to

Because of the age of my computer ie 2013 I am not going past Catalina. I would love to but waiting on the new Macs with apple chips.

My imac is late 2013 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7     32 GB 1600 MHz DDR3.    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M 4 GB

Does this work with the version you mentioned ? Is the graphics card and processor supported ? Can I use 2021.12 with this system ?

Thanks

• Wed, Feb 16 2022 12:05 PM In reply to

Here is the link to the Avid certified hardware for the 2021.12 version:

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/servlet/fileField?retURL=%2Fpkb%2Farticles%2Fen_US%2Fcompatibility%2Fen422411&entityId=ka16e000000hl8YAAQ&field=Attachment_1__Body__s

You don't have to match the spec but it gives a guide as to what is expected.

At a glance yes I think your system should run ok.

But I'd caution making the upgrade. Catalina has been problematic for some and the fact you can't then upgrade beyond it may leave you with a less functional/stable setup.

Its not easy to change boot drive on an imac but I'd be temptd to make an externally mounted drive with a new Catalina install and new MC install to test before making the leap with your internal OS drive.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

• Wed, Feb 16 2022 1:39 PM In reply to

Thanks very much again Pat. Is there a whole thing I have to do to uninstal my current Avid off my High Sierra partition in order to reinstal on Catalina or can I run them both ? I will do a time machine prior and just step back if an issue. I am running both Catalina and High Sierra on this Mac and currently Avid runs on High Sierra. 

Your were mentioned in a thread where I was trying to find some courses dealing specifically with editing on Avid MC and not the perifieral stuff ig setting up a project etc. I have been using Avid MC for a number of years and know it pretty thouroughly but feel as though I click way too many times to edit a sequence. I am looking for videos etc. which will help me become a super fast editor. The Lynda.com/Linkedin stuff by Jago is great but concentrates far too much on settings etc which I already well know. The actual editing sections are pretty sparse in comparisson. I have a goal to cut my mouse clicks and keyboard strokes in half by year end.

Can you reccomend anything here please ?  Thanks again for your suggestions so far.

All the best 

Gary

• Wed, Feb 16 2022 2:21 PM In reply to

Just make sure to deactive MC in Avid Link before trying to activate in the other OS.

Re training sorry no I mainly teach technical stuff like finishing workflows, but I PSE fixing, AS11 diverables and QC. 

• Wed, Feb 16 2022 2:55 PM In reply to

GaryF:
    I have a goal to cut my mouse clicks and keyboard strokes in half by year end.

I took the Advanced Techniques for Media Composer class, and that's what made me fast. They don't offer it anymore, but it looks like they cover many of the same topics in MC201 and 210, Media Composer Professional Editing I and II.

Media Composer 2024.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Wed, Feb 16 2022 3:00 PM In reply to

I think you can only take these classes at authorised training centres. I think only MC101 can be purchased as an ebook and self taught.

• Wed, Feb 16 2022 5:08 PM In reply to

Thanks guys. I was hoping to find something on line to do right away. Also not interested in going to a classroom setting at this time. Try to keep my exposure to a minimum. Something online at my schedule would be best. 

Lastly and thanks again what was the first Catalina update called? I may go in order.

thanks again  

• Thu, Feb 17 2022 4:50 PM In reply to

Thanks again for all your help. I must say it is a drag to activate and reactivate my MC. I work at the office and sometimes take home my drive to work there. It would be great to run the same MC under the same name without the rigmaroll. Adobe Premiere, though a far inferior product, allows me to have the entire creative suite, After eefects, Premiere, photoshop etc. running on 2 computers for 19.99 per month. This is a great deal and exceptionally convenient. Moving to another computer is so simple as long as you do not exceeed two machines you are golden.

Can Avid do this please ? Yes you are a better product but they are cheaper and more convenient. All the kids at work use it. They know Avid but do not use it. I try to tell them that Avid is the best but they dont care.

Thanks

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller