Latest post Mon, Sep 12 2022 10:09 PM by Philip Kapadia. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 1 2022 9:23 PM

• Toby Marshall
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2020
    • Milano, Italy
    • Posts 44
    • Points 470

Strange behavior of audio waveform display

I am having a big problem displaying audio waveforms. I have tried to enable both from the timeline and by checking "Waveforms" in the audio data display in the hamburger. Nothing brings waveforms up. By accident I discovered that if I mark in and out points and hit Ctrl+C, the waveforms appear in that section, and remain even after I have deselected the selection. The problem is that if I expand the timeline, or perform any edit, the waveforms disappear again. This is extremely annoying and makes it almost impossible to edit audio. Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA
    Toby

Dell XPS 9520 Win 11 x64 pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 1 2022 9:56 PM In reply to

Re: Strange behavior of audio waveform display

Is this linked media?

There are some file formats that have the audio and video interleaved and that makes extracting the audio element (and possibly decoding it) it to create the waveforms much slower.

Transcoding the linked media often improves things. 

And yes marking a section often prioritises that section. 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E [email protected]

• Tue, Feb 1 2022 11:45 PM In reply to

• kymarto123
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Dec 23 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 60

I tried both linked and transcoded. Same behavior. This is audio only, .mp3. I have been doing this kind of audio only editing for awhile. Could this be caused by upgrading to 2021.12? 

• Wed, Feb 2 2022 8:21 AM In reply to

Inside the project folder there is a waveform cache folde that contains the waveform data. you could try deleting that (while MC is not running) and seeing if MC rebuilds it.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET (Retired Early 2022)

Still offering training and support for: QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more.

Mainly delivered remotely via zoom but onsite possible.

T 07581 201248 | E [email protected]

• Wed, Feb 2 2022 9:07 AM In reply to

Toby Marshall:
    I discovered that if I mark in and out points and hit Ctrl+C, the waveforms appear in that section

In your Timeline Settings > Display Tab there is a check box for 'Show Marked Waveforms'. Make sure it is not checked.

Media Composer 2024.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, Feb 5 2022 10:03 AM In reply to

• Toby Marshall
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 12 2020
    • Milano, Italy
    • Posts 44
    • Points 470

Thank you for that! Unchecking "Show Marked Waveforms" did the trick. It is always a wonder to me how on updating Avid changes some of my setting without my knowledge...

One question more. Is there any way to change waveform color? I notice that they waveforms are grey. I would prefer them black, if there is a way to change them. In a previous version I noted that waveforms displayed from linked files were grey, whereas from imported/transcoded material they were black. My media is transcoded but still the waveforms display grey. It is not the end of the world, but would be nice. 

TIA,
    Toby

Dell XPS 9520 Win 11 x64 pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 12 2022 8:46 PM In reply to

Hi Pat,

I'm having somewhat the same issue, except that I've reported it to customer service and it's still not working but now they closed the case. Am i the only one with the following issue?

1 - Link a piece of music to a timeline

2 - add 2 edit cuts

3 - add audio effect (whatever it maybe - EQ or compression e.t.c) (see pic 1 - before render)

https://community.avid.com/members/Eric-Basset/files/1-_2D00_-BEFORE-RENDER.png.aspx

4 - render

After redering, the rendered portion with effect doesn't have waveforms anymore. (see pict 2 - After render)

https://community.avid.com/members/Eric-Basset/files/2-_2D00_-AFTER-RENDER.png.aspx

If you double click on the rendered effect it show you the original waveform(see pict 3 - double click)

https://community.avid.com/members/Eric-Basset/files/3-_2D00_-DOUBLE-CLICK-ON-RENDERED-EFFECT.png.aspx

I'm on 2022.7 but i think the problem has been going on since at least 20.12.2. This issue can, in some situation be very annoying.

Can anybody confirm that bug?

Thank you.

McOs catalina 10.15.7 iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) PROC: 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9 RAM:32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4. GRFX:AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB. 3... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Sep 12 2022 10:09 PM In reply to

Eric Basset:

Hi Pat,

I'm having somewhat the same issue, except that I've reported it to customer service 

Hey, 

Can you get me the case number of this? 

I can follow up and forward this on.

Editing Movie Magic.

My Equipment & System Specs

Media Composer Ultimate 2022.12.2 | Pro Tools Studio 2022.21 | Sibelius Artist 2022.12 

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller