Latest post Tue, Sep 21 2021 10:34 AM by ShadenFreude. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 20 2021 1:56 PM

Media Composer and NAS volume shortcuts

Hello all,

I'm curious about a minor issue I seem to encounter here and there.

On Windows workstations, if there is shortcuts to NAS volume on a desktop, usually I will experience some slow response events, during the launch of Media Composer or during editing when I create, modify and save bins.

If I move those shortcuts elsewhere, for example in MyDocuments, the response time seems to improve or even disappear.

From my understanding, this could be caused by Media Composer scanning the volumes to see if it contains Avid MediaFiles. Usually, I create on those NAS volumes an Avid MediaFiles file without extension to prevent any user to create medias here by mistake, but this does not change the response time.

I also came accross this avid secure force webpage : https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Troubleshooting/Slow-Media-Composer-response-when-network-drives-are-mapped

So I'm wondering if other users came accross this same issue and eventually if there is some tricks to prevent that. I encountered this issue in v2018 and v2021.

Thank you all.

Regards,
    Benoît.

• Mon, Sep 20 2021 2:15 PM In reply to

• cls105
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • los angeles
    • Posts 559
    • Points 7,240

Re: Media Composer and NAS volume shortcuts

Not sure, but I don't index to network drives.. I index to internal nvme drives which are much faster.  I despise those .pat and .awf files.

w10, always the latest version of MC, diy 7940x, gtx 1080 ti. [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 21 2021 10:34 AM In reply to

Re: Media Composer and NAS volume shortcuts

Slow starts in MC can be due to the first time you open a project and it has to scan the Avid MediaFiles folder for phonetics word recognition and the like.  If you are on a Nexis/Isis/Network based set up to access your mediafiles and the edit PC is a different PC from the ingest PC, always open the project before your client arrives to let the tower scan these files and build the databases.  It will be very laggy till the databases are built(but bin indexing can be halted manually if really bad).  Also, if you have any AMA links to folders, these will be re-scanned as well.  I regularly clear out the AMA database folder in C:\Users\Public\Documents\Avid Media Composer\AMA Management for completed projects.  If it is network scanning that is slowing your launch times, look at the network traffic graph in Task Manager for activity to confirm this. 

MC/SN 2018.6+7+8+9+12,2022.7 x 20 Z400/420/440/800/820 PC's on W7/10 x64. 3 x Mac, 4 x PT 2021.6 HDX, 3 x S6 , X-MON, all on PCs. NEXIS E4 & ISIS... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller