Latest post Thu, Jul 15 2021 11:17 AM by GREG GEDDES. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 14 2021 7:31 AM

Nexis 9 streams multicam, 1 gig

Hi All

Looking for more info and help on playback with 9 streams Multicam.

We are looking into getting a Nexis Pro 140TB with the switch and ethernet being 1 gig,

My conccern is will 1 gig be able to handle 9 streams multicam playback to 6 edit suits ? (not in multicam mode) jsut group clips.

and aslo when not in multicam will avid still pull that media ? Only reason i ask is becasue we get a edl edit from OBVAN and rearly go into multicam to cut on the fly ?

Some people saying it should but im woirred as if not, well them we gonna have to take the hit and get 10gig fiber.

THanks Greg 

• Wed, Jul 14 2021 9:59 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,311
    • Points 14,860

Re: Nexis 9 streams multicam, 1 gig

Probably going to depend on the codec / frame rate etc but even 9x HD DNX_SQ down 1GB is going to struggle (if you want to view the group clips in a multiview angle).

There's 2x NICS so you can use 2x1G connections AvidMC <-> Nexis. It worked for 5994P at DNx290. But we didn't do serious multicam (maybe 3x angles max).

Also the 6x edits pulling 9x angles is a lot of disk throughput required. 

One problem (if you are doing it near live) is that Avid cannot group clips until they are complete - so you can't group the streaming clips until they are closed. There's a couple of workarounds I can suggest if you need.

If you only need to see one of the group clips at a time then Avid will be fine.

I'd suggest using a truck 9-way multiviewer streamed as an extra angle - that way you can see multicam playback without taxing system. 

How do you get your EDL edit from the OB? 

• Wed, Jul 14 2021 4:00 PM In reply to

Hi Trevor

thanks so much for replying.
    It really helps me. Confirmed my fears. So basically we the OBvan records 8 cameras and 1 PGM as a ref cut.

we then get it from the Evs . As DNXHD 120 . We group all the camera and then scene detect the PGM and then replace angles.
    so nothing is a live feed all pre recorded. We basically have the group as a back up . And change angles as needed if there is a issue . The chances of us doing a real-time cut in the group is very slim .

I'm thinking the 1 gig will be fine for straight forward cut ( not in group )

All the footage is DXHD120 or SQ  at 25 FPS Pal 

Thanks again 

• Wed, Jul 14 2021 10:52 PM In reply to

9 way multicam of DNX120 is 135MB/s + audio. You will need at least dual 1Gb connection. 
    Also, a single Nexis chassis with a single Media Pack can do about 600MB/s of total bandwidth. After 4 clients, you will need additional Media Packs.  

MC 2021.6, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2019, OSX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 15 2021 6:57 AM In reply to

Hi Dom 

Thank you so much for the reply, that help alot.

• Thu, Jul 15 2021 8:44 AM In reply to

• TrevorA
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • London
    • Posts 1,311
    • Points 14,860

GREG GEDDES:

We group all the camera and then scene detect the PGM and then replace angles.

I did wonder, cos there's a greek guy who owns the patent on getting the switcher info as an EDL...

EVS had an IPD module 'Directors Cut' several years ago - that was pretty neat cos one button started & stopped record on all the streams AND grouped them AND matched the switcher cuts so you got an Avid sequence with the multicam cuts all in place. Very easy to move / change edits. 

https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/254205/evs-ipdirector-version-62-june-2013-directors-cut-user-manual.html - Don't know what happened to it. Suspect the patent police caught up with them and there wasn't enough interest to pay the licensing. 

https://softron.tv/products/multicam-logger - €1500 - doesn't export Avid though

https://www.videotoolshed.com/other/livecut/ - Bouke might be the best/cheapest option - would save you a ton of time replacing angles. 

• Thu, Jul 15 2021 11:17 AM In reply to

Defintly gonna look into wouls help so much. we shoot about 5 hours for 4days and scene detect isnt that great. 

Gonna chat to EVS.

THanks

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller