Latest post Mon, Jul 12 2021 5:40 PM by Philip Kapadia. 1 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Jul 12 2021 1:22 PM

When can we expect (GPU) performance updates?

A few years ago there was a post on this forum which stated that engineers were working on improved OpenCL support for Media Composer.

A year ago it was mentioned, this time on the Avid Editors of Facebook group, that improved GPU acceleration was coming to MC later that year. I don't think it did.

Anything that requires any kind of compositing in MC slows the system down considerably. Simply add a Titler+ title on top of a shot and playback performance goes down the drain. Or still images with Pan&Zoom. Avid has a slow playback engine compared to other well known NLE's, so any improvements in this area are very welcome. (I am aware that my system isn't qualified, but I don't believe this to be the cause, as I've seen more complaints about this, e.g. this topic; also I do edit with optimized DNxHR media).

So my question is: does anybody know when we can expect performance updates?

MC: 2021.6 with Symphony and Phrasefind CPU: AMD Threadripper 1950X GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11G RAM: 64GB Kingston HyperX Predator HX430C15PB3K4/64... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jul 12 2021 5:40 PM In reply to

Re: When can we expect (GPU) performance updates?

Walter Johan:

A few years ago there was a post on this forum which stated that engineers were working on improved OpenCL support for Media Composer.

A year ago it was mentioned, this time on the Avid Editors of Facebook group, that improved GPU acceleration was coming to MC later that year. I don't think it did.

Anything that requires any kind of compositing in MC slows the system down considerably. Simply add a Titler+ title on top of a shot and playback performance goes down the drain. Or still images with Pan&Zoom. Avid has a slow playback engine compared to other well known NLE's, so any improvements in this area are very welcome. (I am aware that my system isn't qualified, but I don't believe this to be the cause, as I've seen more complaints about this, e.g. this topic; also I do edit with optimized DNxHR media).

So my question is: does anybody know when we can expect performance updates?

As i'm sure you know, Media composer uses the GPU to accelerate some real time effects, Symphony, and UME exporting and transcoding. 

When playing back a DNxHD LB clip with a colour correction applied, MC utilizes about 20% of my GTX 1650 GPU. When exporting it jumps from 10 - 40%

I have baselight for avid, and baselight's effect is accelerated quite well, sometimes see up to 60% utilization. Same goes for some of the Boris FX suite. 

The titler + effect's performance is just beyond poor. It's horrible

I hope this is coming soon, but have no idea.  

https://philipkapadia.com/my-equipment [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (2 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller