Latest post Sat, Jul 10 2021 5:38 PM by Pat Horridge. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jul 7 2021 3:41 PM

Avid MC on two Windows desktops?

Hello,

I have been searching the boards and haven't found a topic on this one, so allow me to ask a question here:

Is it possible for Avid MC to be opened on two Windows desktops? I don't mean two monitor screens, but the desktop instances you launch in Windows via the Task view button :)

It would be extremely useful for ppl working on a laptop or with a single screen, as the Bins window could be separated and given a decent size.

Thank You in advance,

Peter

• Thu, Jul 8 2021 10:10 AM In reply to

• RalphC
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 2 2015
    • Posts 2,748
    • Points 30,480
    • Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Customer Service
      Avid Employee
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Avid MC on two Windows desktops?

Hi Peter,

You can install Media Composer to multiple Windows. However, you can only activate it one at a time. Use Avid Link App to deactivate/activate MC from one machine to another.

Thanks,

RalphC

MacBook Pro 15 2018 Intel Core i7 2.6GHz Mac 10.13.6 Intel UHD 630. [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 8 2021 10:25 AM In reply to

VikingOfFilm:
    the Bins window could be separated
    You can float that, no?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Jul 8 2021 11:01 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,815
    • Points 63,150

In response to the OP - doesn't that require running MediaComposer.exe twice (one for each desktop)? If so, then I suspect the answer is no but it's a very interesting question. This is a Windows 10 thing where a logged-on user can simultaneously have multiple desktop views (I have never used this feature). As far as I can tell, the only way this can work is if MC were to host each of its floating windows as a separate applicaiton. Certainly if you go into task view mode, MC and all its floating panels looks like a single window, not multiple windows that could be dragged to another desktop.

MC 2021.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Jul 8 2021 11:05 AM In reply to

It would probably also require project sharing. I'm 99.9% sure this can't be done this way. At the same time, floating and/or creating workspaces would seem to me to address the same workflow demand.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 9 2021 11:50 AM In reply to

• knejmann
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Århus, Denmark
    • Posts 268
    • Points 2,975

Hi Peter,

I think I get your idea but I don't think it is possible. I've given it a quick test but it does not seem to work. MC doesn't even show up in Task View here(?).

But I think you can create what you're looking for inside Media Composer using workspaces - one workspace with timeline and source/rec visible and one with just a bin container visible - you can even asign workspaces to keyboard shortcuts of your choice :)

Media Composer 2020.12.1 - Windows 10 - Dell 8520 - Blackmagic Decklink Studio 4K - Interplay and NEXIS storage - Avid Artist Color. [view my complete system specs]

Kåre Nejmann

Danish Broadcasting Corporation - DR
    Aarhus, Denmark 

• Sat, Jul 10 2021 12:42 PM In reply to

Thank You all for Your responses!

So it seems it can't be done at the moment, I see. But maybe the MC developers consider such functionality interesting and introduce it someday :) With or without it, Avid still remains the best NLE software out there in my opinion ;)

Best regards,
    Peter

• Sat, Jul 10 2021 5:38 PM In reply to

I can't really see any benefits that can't be achieved with the current workspaces but can see plenty of issues with 2 versions of the app trying to share the same project and resources.

How would external IO be allocated across these 2 virtual desktops?

I'm just not sure what the gains woukd be?

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller