Latest post Sat, Mar 27 2021 12:50 PM by GaryF. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Mar 27 2021 12:24 PM

• GaryF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 30 2012
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,315

Scriptsync adding take numbers to group clips ?

Hi All

Long time Avid user trying to use scriptsync for the first time. Have my take numbers (in "take Column in Bin) which will not carry onto grouped clips and thus to scriptsync when placed in script therefore cannot use with scriptsync. Any solutions. Read a couple earlier threads bemoaning this. This cannot be the case that only non group shots work. Again cannot type take numbers into take columns on group clips will not allow. Aslo any thoughts on use of grouped clips in scriptsync would be appreciated.

Read on for low level rant

Also in Avid's demonstration online I watched last week the script brought in didn't quite resemble a script. By the time it was converted form a doc file to plain text it had none of the formatting one is used to with scripts. On the shows I have edited for easily the past ten years the script notes have been digital. I believe the program is ScriptE or something. Can there be some sort of integration with this software ? Scriptsync is FANTASTIC in theory and I know some Editors who use it religiously but it is a massive time and resources suck. As i look at the machinations I am having to go through I am daunted. I am sure it will seem easier as I move along. I know the recent online tutorila by Marianne was designed with simplicity in mind but it would have been helpful to see it with grouped clips and something that looked like an real script-a more real world thing. The script in my Avid needs to be exactly the same as the script I get from production. Especially if I am sitting with Directors and Producers. I am sure I will learn much of this as I grind through the process.

Cheers

Gary

• Sat, Mar 27 2021 12:41 PM In reply to

Re: Scriptsync adding take numbers to group clips ?

Hi Gary,

I usually ask for the script in Final Draft (fdr/fdx) format. Then in Final Draft, I choose export and use Avid Scriptbased Editing as the output format. This preserves traditional script formatting when brought back into MC.

I prefer to export per scene or sequence of scenes, as a single script for entire show, stacked with all the footage, quickly becomes too large to handle.

I own a full license of Final Draft but I think exports can be done with the demo/trial version. Used to be the case, but haven't checked on current versions.

In theory it should be possible to export a script with basic formatting from MS Word but I have never been able to do so successfully.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Mar 27 2021 12:50 PM In reply to

• GaryF
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 30 2012
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,315

Re: Scriptsync adding take numbers to group clips ?

Thanks for this. I will check it out. Yes I intend to do it on a scene level. I will try Final Draft today. Do you agree with my idea that Scriptsync should be integrated with popular Script Continuity softwares. Is that a good idea ? 

Any thoughts on adding take numbers to grouped clips. Seems that the take numbers are an integral part of scriptsync. I am not able to even thought they are in my bin on the ungrouped clips. They just do not seem to be carrying over.

Thanks again

Gary

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller