Latest post Fri, Mar 5 2021 2:35 AM by Telegram!. 11 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 26 2021 4:17 PM

• M Shade
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 26 2021
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105

Match Frame while retaining in and out points?

Is it possible in Avid to perform a match frame and then have the clip appear in the source window with the in and out points retained from the source clip as it appears on the timeline? I've done a bunch of digging and it seems that at one point the way to do this was to hold option while performing the match frame, but it doesn't work in the most recent version of Media Composer. 

Thanks!

Filed under:
  • Sat, Feb 27 2021 6:24 PM In reply to

Re: Match Frame while retaining in and out points?

I think the option you are talking about was used to do a match frame without changing the inpoint on the source clip.  So if you had a source clip with an inpoint, and you didn't want it to change, you would (windows) alt match frame.  Of course basic match frame calls up the clip, and adds the inpoint at that position.  If your original clip, with the alt matchframe also had an outpoint set, it would also be retained, but I don't believe it had anything to do with the in and outpoint from your timeline clip...unless the last time you used that clip happend to be the current in and out points of the source clip on your timeline. If you edited with the clip at other points in your timeline since the clip you happend to be sitting on, than you would get those clips in and out points, not the one you are sittting on.

(Thats my recollection of how it worked anyway)

Current Avid-Z390 Win 10 Intel i9 64gig ram Radeon VII MC current level - Win 10 64 Gig Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 2 2021 3:48 AM In reply to

• Cutyes
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jan 14 2012
    • Berlin
    • Posts 183
    • Points 2,375

I don't know whether a [Modifier]+[Match Frame] combo exists for what you are trying to achieve. What I do - hmm, maybe it's what you already do, too, and why you're looking for a shortcut ;) - when I need to match frame and "copy" current in and out from the record timeline, is four taps on the keyboard:

With in and out set and record timeline active I press

#1[Go to In], #2[Match Frame], #3[Go to Out] and #4[Mark Out].

Keystrokes #1 and #2 are self-explanatory. After match frame there can't be an out-point in the (now active) source clip. So for #3 there is no existing out-point to go to. Instead it will take you to the virtual out-point, which is current position + duration timeline in/out. Since current position matches the timeline in-point, the virtual outpoint will match the timeline out-point. Mark it (#4) and you're done.

If you have the necessary commands conveniently mapped to the keyboard, it can be about as quick as any combination of [Modifier]+[Match Frame].

• Tue, Mar 2 2021 4:23 AM In reply to

What Cutyes said.

You used to be able to press "Go to Mark-Out" in the Source Mpnitor to have the Source Cursor land forward enough to match the distance (duration) to the Composer's Mark-Out. 

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Mar 2 2021 4:01 PM In reply to

• M Shade
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 26 2021
    • Posts 6
    • Points 105

Thanks for the replies. I'm a longtime Premiere editor migrating to Avid and was hoping to find a way to make match frame behave in Avid the way it does in Premiere. If, for example, I had a video clip that at one point I had placed on my edit timeline without also bringing its audio, and I later decided that I wanted to bring in the audio for that clip without having to manually match the in and out points, in Premire I can simply match frame the clip in my timeline, my original in and out points from that clip would be called up in my source monitor, and I could simply drag the audio with those in and out points onto the timeline. My takeaway from your replies is that Avid won't do this, and I have to go through a couple extra steps. Not a huge deal, but good to know that I shouldn't spend more time looking into whether Avid does this. 

Thanks, all!

• Wed, Mar 3 2021 5:19 PM In reply to

For audio replacement, i've actually built a macro because I do it so much in certain shows.

based on my settings of course...

"t' mark edit

"q" go to in

"F8" match frame

From here you can patch your audio as you please, and perform an overwrite edit, as the in and out are still set from your original "t" command.

I've built different macros for this that include different audio patch layouts, and the overwrite command, and the go to next edit command, so i can replace the ambience on a half hour show, shot by shot, in about 5 mins.

Current Avid-Z390 Win 10 Intel i9 64gig ram Radeon VII MC current level - Win 10 64 Gig Ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 4 2021 1:28 AM In reply to

Glenn Sakatch:

For audio replacement, i've actually built a macro because I do it so much in certain shows.

based on my settings of course...

"t' mark edit

"q" go to in

"F8" match frame

From here you can patch your audio as you please, and perform an overwrite edit, as the in and out are still set from your original "t" command.

I've built different macros for this that include different audio patch layouts, and the overwrite command, and the go to next edit command, so i can replace the ambience on a half hour show, shot by shot, in about 5 mins.

Glenn, What is your PC macro program of choice? Also, it says below that your system is dual-boot. Did you accomplish that with a second seat of Win 10? I used to dual on Win 7, but was told by Dell those days are gone. 

Squeeze v11 EOL-Pro Sony BM2100 Telecine with variable speed controller Casio VL-Tone, CZ-101, LCD watch AJA i/o Express with Express Card Slot Ignite... [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Mar 4 2021 1:31 AM In reply to

• Thu, Mar 4 2021 3:31 PM In reply to

I use streamdecks to build most of my macros, with a little bit of autohot key programming running inside streamdeck to control some more intense areas like mouse movement.

My dual boot is (was) a custom win 10/hackintosh Mojave build.  I've pretty much abandoned the Mojave side, as getting it to upgrade to Catalina was becoming a huge PITA, so i broke down and just bought an imac to sit beside me for those duties.

I'm sure the hackintosh is possitble at Catalina as well, but I don't have the time I did last year to screw around with it, and the hackintosh seems to be constant screwing around if you ever want to update anything.

But I highly recommend the streamdecks.  I run an XL and 4 regular ones, so I have lots of options at my disposal.  Add in to that my Protools dock, and i'm getting closer and closer to not having to use the mouse and keyboard at all. (dare to dream)

Glenn

• Thu, Mar 4 2021 10:49 PM In reply to

Thanks, Glenn. I will check out Streamdeck since you recommend it.

• Fri, Mar 5 2021 1:35 AM In reply to

Here is a video on how I use it.

https://youtu.be/a3NR0ROar8I

Glenn

• Fri, Mar 5 2021 2:35 AM In reply to

That's brilliant, Glenn. Thanks for making that video and triggering the imagination...with macros.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller