Latest post Tue, Mar 9 2021 6:17 PM by diegovillalba. 9 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Feb 19 2021 11:50 PM

• Nstiles
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 19 2021
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Media Composer Workstation Upgrade suggestions

Need some pro advice please. FINALLY at the point where it's time to upgrade from my current HPz440 (still a pretty darn good workstation). But I fear that most of it's components are going to become more obsolete as time progresses. 

Looking for feedback as to the best Windows based workstation to choose. I've got Avid's qualified PC list but I want actual editor opinions as to what they use, what works for you, etc.  Couple things:

NOT interested in going Mac. Nothing personal..I'm just an "old geezer" of an editor who prefers PC

AND..I'm not interested in building my own. I've had a couple specially built computers in the past and had issues each time

so I'm looking for the best pre-built workstation. As you can see from my specs..I'm way past due for an upgrade!

My current specs are listed below. I know I can trust this group of great editors and pros to guide me in the right direction. "Googling" it has done nothing.

THANKS!!!

Current Specs: HP Z440, Media Composer 2018.8, 32GB Ram, WIN 7 pro, 64-bit OS, Nvidia Quadro K2200 4GB, Intel Xeon CPU-E5 1650 v3 3.5ghz 6 cores, 12 threads, 15mb cache

• Sat, Feb 20 2021 2:41 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer Workstation Upgrade suggestions

Hi trying to help you I found a little difficult to do it.

What you are asking is kind of an editro opinions? I would understand it when people compare their own experience on machines they built by their own, but for pre built ones, i don't find too many advices to give you.

I think the best approach could be, where you happy with HP's performance? If yes, look into HPs quilified workstations.

Than, is muy budget enough to jump from series 4 to 8 on HP models? once you define that you can go to Avid's Configuration Guidelines and Slot Configurations PDFs and check first minimum supported version for each of them, then check inside thhe guides which ones Avid marked as the good, beeter and best performances... and whichever you can afford will be alright.

Keeping in the same segment, these are 2 options for you:

Tower

http://resources.avid.com/supportfiles/config_guides/AVID%20HP%20Z4G4%20Config%20guide%20Rev%20K.pdf

or rack

http://resources.avid.com/supportfiles/config_guides/AVID%20HP%20Z4R%20Config%20guide%20Rev%20A.pdf

Hope this helps buddy.

Cheers!

* Media Composer 2021.2 * Interplay | Production 3.8.1 * MediaCentral Cloud UX 2020.9 * iNews 2020.9 * Interplay Archive 3.8 * PSE 3.8

• Sat, Feb 20 2021 4:51 PM In reply to

I'd go with a newer HP Z machine. 

64gb ram a newer Nvidia card.

8 to 10 cores with as high a clock speed as you can afford.

SSD boot drive.

Raided internal spinners for media are nice (cheap and large) 

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sat, Feb 20 2021 5:26 PM In reply to

• Nstiles
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Thanks folks! THis gets me going in the right direction. 

Thanks for the assist!

• Sat, Feb 20 2021 11:34 PM In reply to

• Nstiles
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

Thanks fr the link! Appreciate ya!

• Sun, Feb 21 2021 12:25 AM In reply to

What kind of work are you doing on it? If it's just run of the mill HD stuff then I wouldn't even change the workstation - like you said, it's still really good. Just upgrade the RAM and GFX card maybe. No point spending extra cash if it's not really necessary.  

Andi

HP ZBook G6 15 2.6Ghz 6-core i7 9th Gen Nvidia Quadro T2000 4GB 64GB RAM Win 10 Pro MC Ultimate 2018.12.11 MacbookPro 15 2019 6 core 2.6GHz i9... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Feb 21 2021 1:36 AM In reply to

• Nstiles
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 1
    • Points 15

I'm producing full res HD and some 4k (but not very much) for Youtube and web videos. Also some freelance post work on some Discovery network shows.  Also running full Adobe Creative Cloud (premiere, photoshop, AE etc). I'm maxed out on my updates for Premiere and AE (running WIn 7 Pro).  I'ts time to upgrade anyway. I'll still keep this machine for storage and office. Might even do a clean update to Win 10 Pro and use it as a Adobe CC/graphics and storage workstation? 

thanks for the reply!

• Mon, Feb 22 2021 7:59 PM In reply to

• Laffal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sat, Jun 26 2010
    • MILAN - ITALY
    • Posts 31
    • Points 415

Hi Diego & All,

I am considering too to upgrade my actual Dell 7810 into a smaller workstation like HP Z2 Mini G5 Workstation.

What do you think? Could be a good solution for HD & UHD editing projects for you?

It is part of  approved workstation list.

BR 

MEDIA COMPOSER 8.9.4 SYS ON DELL PRECISION 7810 - AUDIO CARD: IDT - VIDEO CARD: NVIVIA QUADRO K4200 [view my complete system specs]

Thx a lot & BR

Alberto Laffi

• Mon, Feb 22 2021 9:41 PM In reply to

Hi Laffal

Everything is relative, which HD and which UHD? Which btirate, in which container? How many layers? Which playback quiality? etc. etc. etc.

I would say definitively no to UHD for high end workflows... and you could do some HD....

Look at avid specs for a Z8... 

* Media Composer 2021.2 * Interplay | Production 3.8.1 * MediaCentral Cloud UX 2020.9 * iNews 2020.9 * Interplay Archive 3.8 * PSE 3.8

• Tue, Mar 9 2021 6:17 PM In reply to

Qvest Media and Avid launched this HP workstation configurator.

https://avid.qvestmedia.com/en/hp-workstation-configurator/?utm_source=linkedin&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hp-workstation-en

Enjoy it!

Cheers!

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller