Latest post Wed, Feb 17 2021 3:48 PM by Jeroen van Eekeres. 4 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Jan 14 2021 6:38 PM

• binba
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 15 2007
    • Posts 51
    • Points 655

Nexis shutdown procedure

To expand on the official procedure from the admin guide... It just states to shut down the engines before the SDA. However, at which point is it safe to proceed to shutdown the next engine? Can I shutdown all engines essentially at once? Or it's important to wait for the yellow status before proceeding to the next engine? Or for it to disappear from the engines list?

The official answer I got from support was to ping the engines and move to the next one once the pings stop coming back... which is a handy hack, but is that really the best proper procedure? Of course the most important time one needs to shutdown a Nexis is when there's a power outage and seconds tick by as you ache to get it safed before your UPS batteries run out. So this stuff really matters.
  • Wed, Feb 17 2021 3:41 AM In reply to

• binba
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 15 2007
    • Posts 51
    • Points 655

Re: Nexis shutdown procedure

Bump - I find it interesting that no one had something to say about this. I mean, sure, none of us ever shuts down our Nexis, but.... :)

• Wed, Feb 17 2021 11:02 AM In reply to

Hi,

I believe there is very little response because very few to none have knowledge on the technical background of the shutdown procedure (and other aspects of the Nexis products). How Nexis functions under the hood on a Linux level is not shared outside of Avid's employees.

In my case... While I have assisted multiple tv-stations and production houses in setting up and maintaining Nexis storage I simply do not even understand why one would shutdown the engines prior the SDA. I would expect exactly the opposite.

Time for the Nexis ACSR training i guess, but I heard that also doesn't give the in depth information.

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

• Wed, Feb 17 2021 1:26 PM In reply to

• BobRusso
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • New Jersey
    • Posts 2,340
    • Points 29,170
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: Avid ISIS
      Moderator: Avid NEXIS PRO
      Moderator: Avid Storage Products

I believe the issue is if the SDA or engine running the System Director is shutdown first, you won't have access to the other engines except to connect via the management port.

The End.

https://www.youtube.com/avidevangelistbob [view my complete system specs]

-- Bob Russo Post-Production Workflow Manager - NFL Films

Bob Russo on Expert Connections

• Wed, Feb 17 2021 3:48 PM In reply to

BobRusso:
    I believe the issue is if the SDA or engine running the System Director is shutdown first, you won't have access to the other engines

That is true in the sense that you don't have the web interface to provide the links to each engine. But those can opened before shutting down the SDA, be manually entered in a browser and even bookmarked to make life easier.

This feels like shutting down storage managers on Isis prior the system director.

But in all honesty, I do not understand that a Nexis SDA is not able to forward an automated shutdown command to all engines in its storage group. 

Most of the MC/NC, Interplay, Nexis, ISIS, Unity stuff. [view my complete system specs]

Avid reseller ACSR at Telmaco

http://www.telmaco.gr/en/

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller