Latest post Mon, Feb 22 2021 3:45 PM by wilsonwilsoff. 12 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Dec 17 2020 5:24 PM

Media Composer vs Mini Mac M1

Hi all, has anyone here managed to install Media Comp on an M1 mac / Big Sur set-up? I know it's all rather premature but I've been trying to force it with Rosetta 2... with zero success. I have an "unavailable BoB" apparently. Can anyone help me with this please before lose my mind entirely. Perhaps I should just give up and wait, which isn't the end of the world. Thanks in advance. Duncan

Filed under: , , , ,
  • Sat, Dec 19 2020 8:11 AM In reply to

Re: Media Composer vs Mini Mac M1

I'd certainly wait until we have a version that supports Big Sur (and it probably won't be long)

But M1 support will be a bigger issue. 

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Sun, Dec 20 2020 10:41 PM In reply to

Thanks, have taken your advice and sent it back... for now

• Mon, Dec 21 2020 5:31 PM In reply to

Just heard that MC 2020.12 is released and supports Big Sur but not the M1 CPUs

ACI Moderator. I'm not employed by Avid or work for them. I just do this in my spare time. Normally using the current Media Composer version on My... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | W www.vet-training.co.uk |

• Thu, Jan 21 2021 9:15 PM In reply to

im sure it will install. will it function properly is the question. If you have a new M1 mac use final cut or davinci. theyre much more intuitive and less clunky than media composer. i have final cut on a mac mini m1 and it is disturbing how much performance i get out of the software it feels like im using a 2000 dollar machine and this is a 700 mac mini. Good luck getting this performance out of an avid on an M1 machine with the 16 GB ram limit apple has right now on them. yes its enough ...but for what project depends if it is enough.Avid is clunky, slow and good luck getting it to run properly on the new m1. the system reqs for the avid are ridiculous and it sucks up ram like ive never sean before on an NLE. Use a windows machine if you have no choice but to use avid which i dont understand why anyone would when you have free software thats 1000 times better for free and without track limitations like resolve. Avids on the way out trust me.. only the seasoned hollywood editors use it and thats due to the inertia of the system wait till the new generation of editors come in. Avid will be just like final cut 7. deceased 

• Sun, Feb 7 2021 3:34 PM In reply to

• bustmethat
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Oct 20 2006
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,285

For the record, I've got MC running on an M1 Mini by removing the OpenIO_VirtIO.acf file, so it doesn't look for the BoB at open. Of course I realize this setup is entirely unsupported, but such was my choice.

The only real bummer is loss of my client monitor, which I hadn't realized would happen. I foolishly thought the native HDMI on the Mini could be assigned to output HD video to a client monitor. So, the question I have is, will I need to wait until the M1 Minis get support to recognize an eGPU in order to get this functionality back, or will there be another way, such as a thunderbolt dongle or dock, to utilize Open IO and get an HD signal out to a TV/client monitor?

• Mon, Feb 8 2021 8:02 AM In reply to

What do you mean you 'lost client monitor functionailty'? GPU's/eGPU's aren't used for that by MC anyway. The HDMI out on the mini is a monitor output, which would allow FullScreen Display use.

One would normally use an AJA T-tap or BMD UltraStudio Monitor, in combination with an Apple TB3-to-TB2 adapter, as a simple way to add HDMI/SDI monitoring functionality to an MBP or a Mini or an iMac or a Trascan.

Beware that this means both picture AND sound will then be output through this device, so you may need to find a way to then either use your monitor's audio outputs or an audio disembedder.

Not claiming any if this works on an M1 Mac right now, especially since you mention having disabled OpenIO (which is the thing that lets MC use these external devices), but the above is true for supported configurations.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Feb 8 2021 3:43 PM In reply to

• bustmethat
    • Not Ranked
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,285

Ah ok thanks for clarifying. I've never used, or needed, an eGPU before, so I thought that might be one way to get 1080p video out. But I guess they're really just for graphics acceleration and driving additional computer monitors?

My old setup was a 2010 Mac Pro with a BMD Intensity Pro sending video and audio out to a TV and mixing board via HDMI and RCA, respectively. So that's the sort of output I've lost with the Mac Mini M1. So, in theory, once Avid has support for the M1 Minis, I could reinstall OpenIO and use a TB3 or TB2 based device such as the AJA or BMD ones you mention? 

thanks again.

• Mon, Feb 22 2021 6:38 AM In reply to

Have you had any other issues?  Is it working besides that?  Thanks.

• Mon, Feb 22 2021 2:56 PM In reply to

• bustmethat
    • Not Ranked
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,285

No, actually I spoke too soon. It opened and loaded a project quickly, but still has all sorts of problems. Exceptions and crashes left and right. So I'm working on my old 2010 Mac Pro setup until Avid develops M1 support.

• Mon, Feb 22 2021 3:10 PM In reply to

You're better off using old hardware and final cut 7 unfortunately. Don't hold you breath with avid and m1 support. Avids always last to update anything. Try using resolve 17 or final cut or premiere .. trust me you'll never use avid again. I've tried and tried over tha past 3-6 years when it comes to avid and they're last on the list as far as their video editing software. They seriously need to wake up because there's far better intuitive quicker software out there and for free even. I don't get why they've been doing. 

• Mon, Feb 22 2021 3:45 PM In reply to

Thanks all for responding. I gave up and returned it in the end, at least for now until silicon's properly established/supported. In fact I even went back from MC2020 (and the hateful experience ingesting footage on that is) to an old imac and robust, unflouncy 2018. As a result I now get to hang out with my dull but non-flaky old pal... Title Tool. Bonza.

Am going to watch with interest where the M1 situation goes, it is the future sure but not convincing enough right now.

Cheers all.

• Mon, Feb 22 2021 5:08 PM In reply to

• bustmethat
    • Not Ranked
    • Brooklyn, NY
    • Posts 105
    • Points 1,285

The experience did inspire me to download Resolve and check it out. That's good and all, but many companies I work with still are avid based, so it's a requirement for me to keep a viable avid system up and running. Agreed it's mysterious why they're always a distant last in adjusting to hardware or OS changes, but oh well.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller