Latest post Sat, Jun 29 2019 5:27 AM by camoscato. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jun 28 2019 11:18 PM

• aerock19
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 33
    • Points 420

MC 2019.6 - Dragging clips into timeline issue; clips are not being placed in sorted order

I'm currently re-learning Media Composer using the MC 2019.6 (Mac) version on a 30 day trial. I'm coming from Premiere Pro, although I used to cut in MC4 a decade ago. I'm doing some Lynda tutorials with very basic functions: dragging clips from a Bin into a Timeline to make a stringout.

I have a Bin with a few imported clips. I am simply trying to sort the Bin by 'Name - Ascending order', select all of the clips, and drag all of the selected clips into a new Timeline/Sequence so they are placed in correct sort order. This is something that I do frequently in Premiere for dailies stringouts.

When sorting by 'Name - Ascending', selecting all clips, and drag+dropping into my Timeline: all of the clips appear in the Timeline, but they are not in correct sorted order.

I have run into two scenarios where the clips in the Timeline are placed in what appears to be sorted order EXCEPT the first clip is placed at the end. The other scenario I've encountered is, after closing and restarting Media Composer, re-trying this dragging and dropping results in the clips being placed in random order, not even close to being sorted by Name (or Timecode). It's very strange.

*Please excuse me if I'm missing a simple step, but this is confusing. I've searched the Avid Forums and Google about this, and it doesn't appear to be known issue.

MC Version:2019.6.0.52395.0 (trial)

WFC 2008

• Fri, Jun 28 2019 11:47 PM In reply to

• aerock19
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 33
    • Points 420

Re: MC 2019.6 - Dragging clips into timeline issue; clips are not being placed in sorted order

I've figured out a workaround: sort by Name, select-all, and click the very last 'sorted clip', and drag into a Timeline. This places all of the clips in correct sorted order, and the final clip at the end of the stringout matches the clip I clicked+dragged over to the Timeline.

It seems that after selecting all clips, the actual clip I grab: will end up at the end of the timeline with the rest of the selection sorted correctly. Is this normal behavior for dragging and dropping clips into Timelines?

WFC 2008

• Sat, Jun 29 2019 5:27 AM In reply to

Re: MC 2019.6 - Dragging clips into timeline issue; clips are not being placed in sorted order

aerock19:
    I've searched the Avid Forums and Google about this, and it doesn't appear to be known issue.

I saw a post on the Avid Editors of Facebook describing a similar issue - clips not dragging from the bin to the timeline in the correct order - and someone from Avid responded that it was a known issue in 2018.6 and they're working on a fix. Unfortunately, I can't find the FB post now, but I know I saw it.

Media Composer 2021.6 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller