Latest post Mon, Oct 24 2016 1:53 AM by Ronald Czarnecki. 46 replies.
Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Sep 4 2016 1:45 AM In reply to

Re: Change a mixdown resolution or relink it to 4k

To do a video mixdown on my Two hours and 40 minute theater play I get these options for each camera angle I import:

LB is 209 GB

SQ is 672 GB

HQ is 1000 GB

Now I can import at the low resolution and then mixdown at a higher resolution for output. This is a great way for a slow computer to mulit cam edit with five or six angles in 4K. 

MC Version: 2018.2 System: PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K... [view my complete system specs]

MC 8.4.5     Built Workstation-Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

• Sun, Sep 4 2016 11:53 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,818
    • Points 63,185

I'm not sure why you can't AMA link your media before establishing group clips. I'll have to give it a try at some point - pretty sure it used to work. 

MC 2021.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Sun, Sep 4 2016 1:56 PM In reply to

You're right you can group clips. I guess the reason I stayed away from that approach is because the clips are broken up into small pieces and you can not group sequences. You have to mixdown all those clips into one clip and then it is not linked anymore. I am trying to group continous 90 minutes of 4k footage. 

MC Version: 2018.2 System: PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K... [view my complete system specs]

MC 8.4.5     Built Workstation-Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

• Sun, Sep 4 2016 7:21 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,944
    • Points 70,235

Ronald Czarnecki:

To do a video mixdown on my Two hours and 40 minute theater play I get these options for each camera angle I import:

LB is 209 GB

SQ is 672 GB

HQ is 1000 GB

Now I can import at the low resolution and then mixdown at a higher resolution for output. This is a great way for a slow computer to mulit cam edit with five or six angles in 4K. 

If You bring the footage in at DNxHD LB a simple videomixdown won't turn the clips into high resolution, to achieve that You'll have to send the sequence offline and relink to the original high res source footage, and transcode to DNxHD HQ. Once done there's no need for a videomixdown, which is not, as already stated, a replacement for consolidate/transcode; I understand that with other NLEs You actually have to create a physical track for export, but this is not the case with Avid: after You have cut a sequence You can export it straight away. You only have to use videomixdown under particular circumstances, it's not needed with Your workflow. The frameflex stage is mandatory, only needed if You want to reframe some shots, and in case it has to be done on the linked clips before consolidate/transcode.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Sep 5 2016 3:26 AM In reply to

Thanks your right. What if I imported LB/mixdown all the clips into one with LB/the grouped them/edit in a seq/ and then deleted the associated files of the imported LB. When I batch import again I set to HQ and this should make all the clips HQ rather then the origianal LB. 

I tried this  but to me the clips seem the same. 

• Mon, Sep 5 2016 10:48 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,944
    • Points 70,235

Ronald, english is not my first language and therefore my point perhaps doesn't get across, I try out and loud again: YOU HAVE TO FORGET ABOUT MIXDOWN, whatever You videomixdown while in offline resolution can't be automatically recreated at the online stage. Videomixdown is mostly useful to export sequences containing mixed codecs and/or mixed frame rates material, other than that IT JUST HAS TO BE AVOIDED in the offline stage, since, as stated, whatever You will videomixdown won't be automatically recreated when mastering at high resolution. I hope I explained myself well, if not, please feel free to ask.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Mon, Sep 5 2016 12:54 PM In reply to

Thanks for staying with me on this, I think I understand. Once you import at DNxHR LB (low bandwidth) no matter what you do it's always DNxHR LB (low bandwidth). If you want DNxHR HQ (high quality) you have to start with that. You can change to LB in order to edit but you have to have a high quality import to start the process.

Tomas earlier in the post was talking about linking in which you could batch import to a different resolutioin but because I am video mixdowning all of the small files into one large clip inorder to group I have to import and import at higher quality. Yes I can use proxy's after I import.   

• Mon, Sep 5 2016 2:14 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,944
    • Points 70,235

Ronald Czarnecki:
    Once you import at DNxHR LB (low bandwidth) no matter what you do it's always DNxHR LB (low bandwidth).
    No. But surely if You videomixdown LB to HQ it will remain LB looking even if it'll be coded as, and will take roughly the same hard drive space as HQ though.

Ronald Czarnecki:
    If you want DNxHR HQ (high quality) you have to start with that.
    No. You can start with LB for editing, and later finish at HQ, not if You videomixdown the LB stuff though.

Ronald Czarnecki:
    You can change to LB in order to edit but you have to have a high quality import to start the process.
    No. As stated, You can start at LB and finish at HQ.

To summarize: If You're short of hard drive space or working with an underpowered system You can edit with LB media and when You're done turn Your sequence into HQ.

step 1) link to the footage

step 2) consolidate/transcode to DNxHR LB (again NO VIDEOMIXDOWN)

step 3) edit at will till Your content

step 4) commit the multicamera cuts and relink the finished sequence to the original footage

step 5) consolidate and/or transcode the relinked sequence to DNxHR HQ

Ronald Czarnecki:
    I am video mixdowning all of the small files into one large clip inorder to group
    I don't really follow You here, how is videomixdown going to help grouping? Please elaborate on what You're trying to accomplish and describe the workflow.

peace luca

• Mon, Sep 5 2016 5:11 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,818
    • Points 63,185

I think I know what Ronald is trying to accomplish - if your camera starts and stops throughout a Multicam take and you want to string it out on a timeline to sync with another camera that did not start/stop then creating a mixdown or export of one camera to then sync with the other camera is certainly a valid approach but is really to overcome a limitation of Avid's Multicam workflow. You can also do some pretty messy multi group stuff. Frankly, if MC would let us group sequences we could do away with much of this nonsense. 

MC 2021.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Sep 5 2016 6:44 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,944
    • Points 70,235

Hi Steve, if You're guessing right I see what Roland is after...

BarkinMadd:
    You can also do some pretty messy multi group stuff.

I see that too, but still it would be better than not being able to easisly and quickly recover from an informatic disaster or an hard disk failure during the editing, or being unable to rebuild the sequence two years from today when someone buys the show but asks for some "minor" changes...

BarkinMadd:
    ...if MC would let us group sequences we could do away with much of this nonsense.

Yep, this is one for the feature requests forum, for the time being multicam doesn't work like we all wish it did, any workaround is just a workaround, and videomixdowns can become boomerangs, if it was my gig I'd like bettter to play safe.

peace luca

• Mon, Sep 5 2016 8:30 PM In reply to

I think Steve is right on the money. I prepared a little video of what I am trying to do. I am surprised other editors are not trying to do the same. After all I am a videographer not a cinematographer. No stopping the action it goes on and on which has to be linked and grouped together.

Multi camera grouping of many clips 

https://vimeo.com/181538845/fe22d30643 

• Mon, Sep 5 2016 8:57 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,474
    • Points 18,320

Ronald,

Don't know what camera you are using, but if you link (not import) to a higher level folder on your sources (often called PRIVATE) do your spanned clips not link into the bin as a single unbroken clip?  I do this all the time with AVCHD 1080 material.

Then you transcode the spanned long clips to a lower resolution working copy and muticam those.

When you're done editing you relink your collapsed low rez multicam timeline to the original linked source.

• Mon, Sep 5 2016 11:47 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,944
    • Points 70,235

Looks like the camera breaks the footage into two GB chunks, individually linked by the operator? If correctly linked a two hour shot should appear in the bin as a single clip, named after the first chunk, even if there might be "phantom cuts" in the timeline. Once transcoded it shouldn't display the phantom cuts anymore, and it will be possible to group. The workflow is very well established: 1) link 2) consolidate or transcode to low res 3) cut 4) online, pretty simple. It could be wise to start from the delivery format to decide for the best way to handle the footage, whichever the way, the videomixdown stage is not required, and needlessly complicates a simple thing, it could be uselessly used though, and it will eventually lead to the final cut of the show, but it doesn't belong to the correct way to manage the project, involving too many unnecessary steps and a huge waste of time. What's the point to generate a copy of the footage and use that instead of the actual footage? Also, with the videomixdown approach, if something goes wrong it won't be possible to rebuild the sequence, something to be avoided as hell IMHO. 

peace luca

• Tue, Sep 6 2016 1:13 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,818
    • Points 63,185

You basically need to manually build a sync map sequence with all your camera angles and then cut that up into multiple grouped clips. Pain but apparently the best way to allow for offline edition followed by relinking to original source clips. There are some very good articles on this workflow but I've never used it myself. 

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Tue, Sep 6 2016 1:16 AM In reply to

smrpix tried but top folder does not span the linked clips. Here is the folder structure:

I have a JVC GY-HM170ua
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1194106-REG/jvc_gy_hm170ua_4kcam_compact_professional.html

My camera options are:

Open SD card

-DCIM/100JVCPR/quicktime files
    -Private/JVC/CQAVC=Clip & Info

This camera can dual record differenct formats at the same time, hence the two different folders. I tried some AVC with the private folder as a top folder but it not did create a spanned clip. 

------------------------------------------
    Luca When you say, " individually linked by the operator? If correctly linked a two hour shot should appear in the bin as a single clip, named after the first chunk"

I don't follow  this and cannot duplicate it. Hows does the operator individually link the linked files?

I guess the only way is to import at HQ and then work from there. maybe Kevin P Mcauliffe could do a work flow on this.  

Page 2 of 4 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller