Latest post Mon, Oct 24 2016 1:53 AM by Ronald Czarnecki. 46 replies.
Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Aug 31 2016 12:21 AM

Change a mixdown resolution or relink it to 4k

I started a 3840 x 2160 project and imported at 3840 x 2160, however when I mixdown the files they came out as 1440x 1080. I already cut the mixdown clips and I hate to have to remixdown the imports and recut the clips in order to get frame flex. 

I did mistakenly bring in the clips as UHD 30p project when the footage was shot 29.97fps.

I did notice a mixdown of the same clips just below was 3840x2160 however that sequence will not allow frame flex also.  

What is keeping me for getting frame flex and can I change the 1440x1080 mixdown?

?

MC Version: 2018.2 System: PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K... [view my complete system specs]

MC 8.4.5     Built Workstation-Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

• Wed, Aug 31 2016 1:32 AM In reply to

Re: Change a mixdown resolution or relink it to 4k

Ok I figured something out, Frameflex does not work with group clips you have to mixdown the multicam timeline.
    I also mixdown the group clips that were 1440x1080 and that transcoded to 3840x2160.

I guess if your group 3840x2160 clips and then transcode them they have to be still 3840x2160 clips. 

Don't know why it came up  1440x1080?

MC Version: 2018.2 System: PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K... [view my complete system specs]

MC 8.4.5     Built Workstation-Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

• Wed, Aug 31 2016 6:29 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

Hi Ronald, it´s somewhat confusing if you use the term import if it is linked, or was it initially imported , if so you have locked the clip.

Please clarify

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Wed, Aug 31 2016 10:29 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,944
    • Points 70,235

Once at picture lock You can "commit" multicamera cuts, this is from the MC help: You can remove the grouped clips in a sequence and replace each of them with its selected clip. HTH

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Wed, Aug 31 2016 5:13 PM In reply to

Thanks Luca, that's what I was looking for and not knowing how to ask. Now I can apply Frame Flex to group clips and not have a mixdown. I went back to the manual where you quoted:

To commit multicamera edits:

1. Select the sequence you want to affect.

2. Right-click the sequence and select Commit Multicam Edits.

Your Avid editing application duplicates the sequence, and then replaces each grouped clip

in the duplicate sequence with its selected clip. The original sequence is unaffected and still

contains the grouped clips. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Question still is why did the group clips group as 1440x1080 when I believe the project was still 4k? 

• Wed, Aug 31 2016 5:32 PM In reply to

mjolnarn When i say import I bring in and transcode, I did not link to media. I don't know what you mean by locked the clip you mean it's at it's resolution as per import settings?

• Thu, Sep 1 2016 5:59 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

Ronald Czarnecki:

mjolnarn When i say import I bring in and transcode, I did not link to media.

Ok, so if you bring it in using the Avid Import command, you are converting it at import to a new codec.

When you are importing media in all other editing applications they are linking to the media, not importing, whilst Avid actually is importing.

So, a transcode is already made at your import, transcoding it once more will just be an unnecessary step.

Add to this that you have less good control over your workflow, colour levels and some possible quality defects.

And less good options to recreate your project in a future.

So, link is what should be done to bring in the media, that same workflow is called import in every other editing application ( as already said)

After linking to the media I usually do a roughcut myself before doing a transcode, it could be either for an offline or an online workflow depending on resolutions and system power to mention a few things that affects that decision.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Thu, Sep 1 2016 6:59 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,944
    • Points 70,235

Glad to help Ronald!

Ronald Czarnecki:
    Question still is why did the group clips group as 1440x1080 when I believe the project was still 4k?
    How did You bring the footage in? Forget and forgive me for saying, but this looks like operator error.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Thu, Sep 1 2016 1:31 PM In reply to

Tomas, I did not know that's what avid editors did as a workflow. My understanding is you can not group linked clips for mulitcam editing on the fly.  They have to be transcoded first. 

I would like to have that workflow of being able to reconfigure the project in the future.

I shoot 4k for two to three hours continuous using three 4k cameras, I link all that footage together and multicam edit. Sometimes working with links is just choppy.  

So, a transcode is already made at your import, transcoding it once more will just be an unnecessary step. 

Only the import transcodes, I don't retranscode. I only transcode when I mix down.

Question can I multi cam edit with links? 

• Thu, Sep 1 2016 2:02 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

Ronald Czarnecki:

Question can I multi cam edit with links? 

Hi Ronald, no , you cannot and if it should be possible it might not play out in realtime when doing your multicam edits and this is where an off line workflow really shines , first you link to bring it in and then you transcode to an offline, a little less good quality but much better realtime playout codec ( for multicam edits )

After finished edit, relink to the origins once again and transcode to your online codec to get the highest quality.

And, import is a lot slower workflow than to link and transcode, as already said above you also have a lot lot more control with a link - transcode workflow.

Tomas 

• Thu, Sep 1 2016 2:46 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,944
    • Points 70,235

Hi Ronald, which MC version are You on? On MC 8.6 You either "File-Input-Import" (on previous versions "File-Import"), actually creating new Avid media files for the imported footage, or "File-Input-Source browser" and link the footage (on previous versions "File-AMA link"); once linked You can consolidate, if it's a natively Avid supported codec, or transcode to an Avid friendly codec, mostly belonging to the DNx family, or again, You can cut straight away, if the footage codec plays nicely in Avid and provided that Your system has fast and powerful CPU/GPU/disks. In my experience editing with linked files is a sluggishness nightmare with long gop codecs, while it's more feasible with MXF contained file formats up to HD. Multicam off linked files requires quite a powerful system, especially with 4k stuff. As a rule of thumb You should link and consolidate/transcode, since it's more accurate qualitywise, and faster than import, not relying on the obsolete QT engine; moreover: stay away from videomixdowns, they're not intended as a consolidate/transcode replacement, You'll only use them under particular circumstances. If You have to deliver 4k I suggest You offline edit in an intermediate lightweight format, and online at 4k at picture lock, because of the actual horse power and storage room required.

peace luca

• Fri, Sep 2 2016 6:02 PM In reply to

I have Version 8.4 installed

When I link the QT files they will not consolidate. I can only transcode.

When I transcode I pick:

Raster Dimensions-Source dimensions

Target Video Resolution-DNXHR LB (only option)

Linked Source Scaling-Full (or do I do this at half quality for better play?)

Apply Source Transformation-Frame Flex (I really want to be able to do this after all the clips are multicam edited and locked. 

After I transcode the linked media how do I set it up for multi cam editing? I have to have one long clip to group with the begining clapper.  

• Sat, Sep 3 2016 5:55 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,330

I suppose you are working in HD mode now even if the source media is 4K.

Quality is your own choice depending on system horsepower and if it plays in realtime when doing multicam editing.

Avid had a very good help ( F1 ) section about multicam setup and editing , have you studied that one .

Tomas 

• Sat, Sep 3 2016 8:41 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,944
    • Points 70,235

Hi Ronald, the clips won't consolidate because the file format is not Avid friendly, consolidate just "copies" the compatible files in the Avid media files folder, by transcoding the "unfriendly" files turn into Avid friendly. Don't know why You're only given the DNxHR LB option, sorry about it; You may want to check Your media creation settings. For better playback You should transcode to a light resolution, but since Your only option is DNxHR LB I'm out of ideas. I wonder what You have to deliver, and if this is going to be a problem down the road. The FrameFlex changes have to be made before transcoding. As for the multicamera prep, You can google for tutorials, there is plenty, much more straightforward than the manual; the tricky thing is dealing with camera stops, creating groups from the initial clapper is pretty easy, the trouble is to group cameras with no clapper after one or more of them stops and then starts shooting again. It would be much easier to help You out if You give details about the footage and the delivery format. Have a nice weekend, Luca

peace luca

• Sun, Sep 4 2016 1:23 AM In reply to

Don't know why You're only given the DNxHR LB option, sorry about it

The reason I found that I could not get any other options from the transcode is because project setting were set to proxy LB. When you transcode with that you only get LB.

OK thanks everyone I have been doing a lot of studing on this 4K mulit cam workflow. I wish Kevin P McAuliffe would do a tutorial on this.
    Here is the correct way to the do the workflow:

1. *You have to import not link files in order to do multi cam editing. 
    2. *You CAN bring in the import as LB because after locking down and commiting to the edit you can reimport as HQ.
    3. *After importing set your IN points and group your clips.
    4. *Put this group clip (with a g) onto your timeline in a new seq.\
    5. *Change proxy settings in order to get a better playback in your source window with a quad split. 
    6. *Change you video quality to Full, draft or best performance (to get better playback).  
    7. *Edit with multi cam until you have all your edits. 
    8. *Comit to multi cam and make a new seq (in order to use Flex Frame).
    9. *Flex frame your edits, make adjustments to the cuts until you have a lockdown.
    10. *Mark your in and outs or use the whole track for mixdown and do a video mixdown at a higher resolution. 
    11. *OR you can delete the associated files and batch import them at the quality you want. 
    12. *Encode with sorenson Squeeze or export as a high resolution QT file. 

Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1 2 3 4 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller