Latest post Fri, May 1 2015 4:04 PM by smrpix. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Apr 30 2015 2:46 PM

Setting up a project

Hello,

I've been in FCP 7 land for a while and coming back now to Avid MC. When setting up a project I was wondering what fellow Avid MC users do to optmise workflow. 

In FCP I would keep my project file on a separate drive to my auto saves so if a drive fails the other has my back ups stored safely. I would also always back up a project file after lunch and before the end of the day.

In Avid it seems the Avid attic is always stored to the same place (I'm on a iMac) and if I'm setting up a private project the Avid Projects go to my documents. This seems wrong because if my bootable drive dies then I've lost all my Avid project files. Someone told me not to put the Avid project file and bins on the same drive as the Avid Media as it would slow down performance - so where would be best to store the Avid project file and bins?

I am running an iMac with to external 8TB G-Tech drive (USB 3)

Thanks, Michael

• Thu, Apr 30 2015 2:49 PM In reply to

Re: Setting up a project

Usually, the project can live on your local hard drive, or a networked drive if you're sharing media across rooms.

Just make sure that you backup your project to another drive at least nightly.  We copy our files to a server which is also backed up nightly...leaving a few copies of the project available should something go wrong.

Symphony v2019 | OS 10.13.6 • Nitris DX • 12-core MacPro (Mid 2012) • 36 GB RAM • Facilis Terrablock 24EX [view my complete system specs]

-- Kevin

• Fri, May 1 2015 11:21 AM In reply to

Thanks Kevin, do you back up your Avid Media Files to another drive or server as well?

• Fri, May 1 2015 2:03 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,508
    • Points 18,820

Michael Freedman:

do you back up your Avid Media Files to another drive or server as well?

I'll add my 2 cents to this one: not anymore.

Obviously it depends on the size and urgency of your project, but with AMA and tapeless aquisition I've found having multiple versions of my source footage available in its original format tends to be both physically smaller and easy enough to restore from in the event of a disaster.  Newly generated footage like graphics or mixdowns gets backed up nightly, usually as avid mxf files.

i9 12th generation, GeForce 3070, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, May 1 2015 3:09 PM In reply to

OK great - thanks. Can you sync audio with AMA cut with the clips and then transcode at a later time? 

• Fri, May 1 2015 4:04 PM In reply to

• smrpix
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Sep 5 2012
    • Posts 1,508
    • Points 18,820

Michael Freedman:

OK great - thanks. Can you sync audio with AMA cut with the clips and then transcode at a later time? 

Sure, just transcode the edited sequence.  Or, transcode the source clips and relink the edited sequence to them.

i9 12th generation, GeForce 3070, 64GB RAM [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller