Latest post Mon, May 4 2015 5:52 PM by Robert B. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Apr 29 2015 5:44 PM

Media Composer 8 & Pro Tools 12 Co-Install.

Hello. Could someone please point me in the direction of current co-install instructions for MC8 and PT12? Everything I find is either outdated, or in the case of what appears to be the Pro Tools 12 Co-Install instructions currently live on Avid's website, a dead link.

Thanks in advance.

• Wed, Apr 29 2015 10:48 PM In reply to

Re: Media Composer 8 & Pro Tools 12 Co-Install.

Try this link for avid Knowledge Base info on Co install comparability

The general info is to install Protools before Media Composer. (Recently there was one version that this was reversed but that was more to do with a miss match in Avid Application Manager versions for a short time)

• Mon, May 4 2015 5:52 PM In reply to

• Robert B
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Sun, Aug 7 2011
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 83
    • Points 1,005

Re: Media Composer 8 & Pro Tools 12 Co-Install.

Kevin,

I added PT12 to my MC 8.3.1 system running on a 5K Imac using the Blackmagic MiniMonitor. I think I installed PT12 and then re-installed MC8.3.1 on top of it. Regardless, things are working great. In fact, the Avid Video Engine in Pro Tools seems to handle DNX145 1080P reference vids without issue and plays them out flawlessly to my production monitor via the MiniMonitor. It seems to work even more smoothly than from within Media Composer itself. Checking lip sync is easy with the broadcast monitor feed. 

One suggestion I would add is that when you go into "mix mode" - copy your reference vid and Pro Tools session onto an SSD if you have one - it makes everything work very smoothly in Pro Tools. I work off the internal system SSD and then copy the session back to my raid when I'm finished. 

One co-install issue, I would like clarification on is installation of the Avid codecs PE. Should we install these with Pro Tools, or should we skip them and let Avid install them with Media Composer?

Also, Avid if you're listening - give us a true MC to PT roundtrip so we can change edits post-mix without hassle.

-Robert

OFFICE: 3.5 GHz Core i7 Late 2013 Imac running OSX 10.11 with 32GB RAM. NVIDIA GTX 780M 4096 MB. Avid Media Composer 8.5/ Pro Tools 12.4 MOBILE: 17"... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller