Latest post Sun, Feb 8 2015 8:27 PM by Mark. 24 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Feb 3 2015 5:45 PM

Trying to capture old video-8 tapes

Hi guys.

I am working in Avid Media Composer 8, and I am trying to diditalize some old footage, without much luck.

I bought Composite to USB Video Capture Adapter, Model AVC03M. And the maual told me to record the footage with quicktime player, but the footage came out horrible (looks like quicktime expected it to be HD video) but there is no ways to change the setting in Quicktime as far as I can tell? 

So I have tried capturing the media with Avid, but the deck doesn't show up. I am using an USB 2. Is it possible to do it this way? Do I have my settings wrong?

Would appreciate any help.

• Tue, Feb 3 2015 6:11 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,273
    • Points 16,180
    • Moderator: Broadcast Newsroom
      Moderator: Media Composer Getting Started

Re: Trying to capture old video-8 tapes

No worries. In Avid's capture tool, turn off deck control and timecode. Just let it free-record. Literally hit play on the video and hit record in the Avid. The only way you'd be able to control it and see any timecode would be to have an external capture box like an AJA IoXT or whatever.

Also consider creating a 30i projecy and capturing it DV25-411 or something like 1:1, 2:1 or 3:1. These work great as universal capture codecs and usually forgive a lot of video issues.

Post back if it still doesn't work. We'll make it happen.

Many systems. Windows 7, Windows 10, and all flavors of macOS. Juts assume I'm running everything ;) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)   WWND (What Would Norman Do?)   #AllisWell

• Tue, Feb 3 2015 9:29 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,665

Pixel Monkey:
    hit play on the video and hit record in the Avid.

Hit record in the Avid then play on the video to avoid missing the first few frames if they are valued. Search
    "crash record" if more info desired.

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 4 2015 3:08 AM In reply to

Thanks a lot guys, but I am having some problems: It says No source tape selected, and it says I am not getting any input signal. Nothing shows up in the source monitor either.

(update:) I am actually getting one audio track, but that is all. 

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 3:25 AM In reply to

As far as I know Avid cannot capture via USB. FWIW for all older formats like video 8 I copy to a DV tape and then capture that in your case probably via Firewire direct from the DV device. There are several relatively affordable composite video  to DV firewire devices available.

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 4:51 AM In reply to

It was able to find the USB via the sound, but not the video.

Would copying it to a DV tape be the better option rather than getting a software that can capture off your VHS player? I suppoced it could get compressed that way? 

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 6:43 AM In reply to

shootinstar:
    Would copying it to a DV tape be the better option rather than getting a software that can capture off your VHS player
    I believe (and, use the method extensively myself) that copying to DV is the best way to move from VHS, SVHS, UMatic, Hi 8 etc into the digital domain. I do not think many people could tell the difference from the original analog playback direct to a monitor and the Avid playback from a DV capture.

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 11:33 AM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,273
    • Points 16,180

Oh man, I glossed-over the USB thing when I red your original post. IEEE-1394 has been the only good SD method of capture, other than a capture card with composite-in. And yes, transfer to DV or even HDV in order to do so. The quality is just fine, as Andrew said.

Or...You might want to call around to local post houses or TV stations to see if any of them have old Mojo (or other) DV capture boxes they'd rent you.

Many systems. Windows 7, Windows 10, and all flavors of macOS. Juts assume I'm running everything ;) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 4:57 PM In reply to

Thanks guys.

I am edititing on my macbook which then brings me to the next problem, I have no firewire port. Could I use a Firewire IEEE 1394 6 Pin F to USB M Adaptor Convertor? I just found this online, but I hope they also have it in my local stores.

I do have a PC that has a firewire port, but windows is too old for avid on that computer. Could I just capture it in Windows media player and then import it into Avid that way?

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 7:29 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,273
    • Points 16,180

Those sometimes add issues with throughput... frames being off-kilter and such... but if you are game to try it, then do so. 

If I were you, I'd simply find a local media center that charges by the hour to make dubs to whatever you want... if it's an important enough project.

Easier said than done, I know. But I'll let you judge how important the footage is.

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 7:44 PM In reply to

shootinstar:

Thanks guys.

I am edititing on my macbook

New(ish) Macbook?  Does it have a Thunderbolt port?

Something like a Blackmagic Intensity unit:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity

Should do what you need, with connections you already have.

FW-USB converters will NOT work for this.  However, THUNDERBOLT to FireWire will work.  If you have a camera/deck that already has FireWire, then yes, you can copy to a DV tape, and then capture the DV tape via the TB-FW adapter into MC.

But if you don't already have a DV device with FireWire, then it might be worth thinking about going for a Blackmagic Intensity or something like it.  Install the unit and its software, Avid will recognize it as a capture device, and you just capture right there in the Capture Tool.  You can also hook up the outputs to a TV or professional video monitor, and use it as a preview screen while you edit.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.6, Avid Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 4 2015 9:33 PM In reply to

• Mark
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Dec 19 2010
    • Posts 432
    • Points 4,665

I captured uncountably many hours of analog tape back in the day with something like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/349146-REG/Grass_Valley_602029_ADVC_110_Bidirectional_Media_Converter.html

Any thoughts on whether one of those connected to one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Thunderbolt-to-FireWire-Adapter/dp/B008RXYOKY

will work?

MC 8.7.2. HP Z400, Xeon W3580, 24GB ECC RAM, BMD Decklink Studio 4K, Desktop Video 10.3, Quadro K4200, 362.13 OS & programs: 600GB 10k, video: 1TB... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 4 2015 9:37 PM In reply to

My thought is that should work - I don't think I've tried it over Thunderbolt, though.  No reason I can think of why it shouldn't work.

(SYSTEM 1) iMac Late 2012 27" (13,2), Mac OS X 10.15.6, Avid Media Composer 2020.12 w/Symphony, Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, 32 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 4 2015 10:18 PM In reply to

Yes I do have a thunderbolt, and I also actually have a thunderbolt to firwire adapter for a hard drive I used, but it looks diffrent to the firwire I used to use capturing my DV tapes back in the days. I guess it's just a matter of finding the right type of firewire then? I also have an old DV cam so that's not a problem :) 

• Thu, Feb 5 2015 1:24 AM In reply to

Even better - you already have the adapter, so the cable should be all you need.

There are three types of FireWire ports, all are compatible with each other.  There are 4-pin and 6-pin FW400, and 9-pin FW800.  The main caveat is that only 9-9 gives you 800 Mbps speed, and all other combinations drop down to 400 Mbps - but for 25 Mbps DV video, that's not a problem at all.

Hard to describe, but run a search for how they look, and you'll see which is which.  MOST DV cameras use 4-pin.  I believe the ONLY type of Mac adapter is 9-pin.  So, get a 4-pin to 9-pin cable (if that's indeed what you need), and you should be set.

However, the other thing is copying your tapes to DV.  Does your DV camera have A/V INPUTS?  If not, you'll need to find another way - either a Digital8 camera that has FireWire/DV and CAN play your tapes (not all D8 cameras can play Hi8 and Video8), or a camera that has AV inputs, some other analog/digital converter - like an Avid-supported Open I/O device that has Thunderbolt or USB3 and has a Mac driver (i.e. Blackmagic), OR an analog/digital Firewire converter like what Mark pointed out above.

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller