Latest post Wed, Nov 12 2014 11:50 PM by S.Clements. 6 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 9:24 AM

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Jul 3 2011
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 823
    • Points 10,955

DNxHD 36 "Same As Source" Export Recompresses Video Horribly?

Hi,

I'm not quite sure how Avid's export "same as source" handles the export.  For example, I have Avid DNxHD 36 footage than I wish to export.  When I do a "same as source export", there is a MASSIVE drop in picture quality - as though Avid is taking the DNxHD36 and recompressing it again as DNxHD36, rather than just exporting the original compression.  When I export at DNxHD185...the original quality of the DNxHD36 import is mostly preserved.  Am I doing something wrong?  Avid should not be recompressing footage on export, in my opinion, especially since it has no effects applied and hasn't even been edited into the timeline.  I need to do VFX mockups in After Effects and only have access to the DNxHD36 offline footage.  What's the best workflow for getting that into After Effects, without the image completely falling apart/becoming massively pixellated?

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 10:14 AM In reply to

Re: DNxHD 36 "Same As Source" Export Recompresses Video Horribly?

Something is not right if you are seeing that.

If you do a SAS export and then re-import, do you get a fast import? And if you compare it to the original back inside MC do you see a difference?

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 10:35 AM In reply to

How are you looking at the QT SAS export? IS QT player ste to display high qualty?

Does the SAS export happen quickly or very slowly?

If you AMA the QT SAS file back into MC what format does it show it as and how does it look back in MC.

HP Z840 3.1GHZ 20cores 128GB RAM M4000 GPU 1TB NVMe drive HP Z book 17 G2 2.7GHZ Quad core 32GB RAM Nvidia K3100M 1TB SSD drive ACI Moderator. I'm... [view my complete system specs]

Broadcast & Post Production Consultant / Trainer  Avid Certified Instructor VET

QC/QAR Training - Understanding Digital Media - Advanced Files * Compression - Avid Ingest - PSE fixing courses and more

All bespoke and delivered onsite at yours. Or delivered via hosted Zoom session.

T 07581 201248 | E pat@vet-training.co.uk | www.vet-training.co.uk|

Filed under:
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 10:44 AM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 823
    • Points 10,955

James@Seamless:

Something is not right if you are seeing that.

If you do a SAS export and then re-import, do you get a fast import? And if you compare it to the original back inside MC do you see a difference?

Fast import...it comes in very quickly. There is a very noticeable difference between the original and the export back inside Media Composer.

Avid Media Composer 8.3.1 Macbook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014) 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Ram Mac, OS 10.10.2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 11:45 AM In reply to

Can you describe, in detail, how you do your Same As Source exports? What works for me is select all clips or sequences I need to export, choose File->Export, choose options, choose export as: Quicktime movie, tick the box that says "Same As Source", tick the 709 box, tick the "native dimensions' box.

No re-encoding should happen unless there are effects applied.

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 11 2014 2:44 PM In reply to

is it clips or a sequence?

If it's a sequence do you have other resolutions in the timeline?

MC 8.8.2 OSX 10.12.3 Quicktime 7.6.6 Nitris DX [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 12 2014 11:50 PM In reply to

• S.Clements
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, United Kingdom
    • Posts 823
    • Points 10,955

Hi, apologies for the late response.  I was exporting the clips from the bin by right clicking on them and choosing export and "same as source".  I think the reason they were recompressing was because of a frame flex "source setting". This had to be removed in order for the footage to not be recompressed. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller