Latest post Tue, Mar 26 2013 2:13 PM by the_dark. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 25 2013 12:13 AM

• Tiger_XP
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 2 2007
    • California
    • Posts 465
    • Points 5,170

The 1000lb Engine In The Room?

Based on this post by Gians in (Open I/O Anyone from Avid wanna chime in ?) he sees this engine! I have also experienced the Adobe Mercury Engine via the free Premiere Pro 6 download. It handled R3D (no R3D Rocket needed!) and H.264 like MC 6.0 could not. The passion he displays is easily recognized from someone that has experienced it first hand. 

I have also read several posts in different sections pertaining to bugs, future requests, this and that. I have to say there is soooooo much on Avid's plate that the only response is wow! 

The Mercury Engine is not a metaphysical experience, but dude, I still have that wide eye "I'm a believer" too look about me! 

Sun, Mar 24 2013 8:43 AM In reply to

•  Glans
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Sweden
    • Posts 535
    • Points 8,105

Re: Open I/O Anyone from Avid wanna chime in ?

Reply Send to friend Favorites Contact

jef: MC desperately needs an entirely different playback engine.  Adobe Mercury engine has set the standard for what CAN be.

The mercury engine enables me to take those 5K Epic files and edit them in realtime on a low spec computer using a harddrive with only a USB3.0 connector and a single 5600 drive. It's not that it's a little better, it's like the mercury engine is in it's own universe compared to MC.

jef: I tend to believe we are getting what we pay for these days.  Many people don't want to believe that it actually costs money to develop good software

How come Adobe is able to bring among the best professional software solutions on the market over a number of different fields of work? After Effects, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Speedgrade, Illustrator etc. 
    How much did the production premium package cost me? Like 1000 USD with the switchover bonus. 
    I got that...  for 1000USD. And isn't Adobe developing all the time?

Then how come Avid, who has it's focus on a more narrow field, who have a foundation in the entire world of editing, not being able to keep up? What the hell is going on in the R&D department? We spend much more on Avid software then on Adobe software and still Avid is in the stone age compared to others.
    Just freakin leave old thinking behind, hire someone with a vision, someone who dares to change something to the better!
    You don't have to make something into FCPX to be able to change a software to the modern age!

If you could rewrite MC into 64 bit, then rewrite it's playback engine... jeez, what's the problem, really?

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Air late 2010 - Laptop * Intel Core 2 Quadcore 2,5 GHz, 4GB RAM, Geforce... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• undefined Mon, May 10 2010 11:01 AM

•  Glans
      • Top 150 Contributor
      • Sweden
      • Posts 535
      • Points 8,105

Give us some mercury...?

I have adressed the possibilites of Cuda earlier and was dismissed that it was a too early technology to expect being SDK:ed for Avid.

Now the Mercury demo is stirring up editors all over the place and people are even talking about a mass exodus to Premier from Final Cut

If mercury creates that kind of exodus, then why let Premier get all the glory? If Avid could present some video-card accelaration that enables 4K footage with layers of effects unrendered to play at full speed, then Avid would be the ONLY option for an editor on the market.

Yes yes yes yes yes, the DX, but that is not what mercury is. It is not a years salary in payment for something that still just plays 1080p, not 4K.

So I'd say, give us some mercury, something that liquifies the solid hard metal that Avid is today.
      With that kind of power in a lesser machine, Avid Media Composer would be the most powerful editing system on the planet.

No more render, set us free!

* Intel core i7 (3,7 Ghz), 16gb RAM, GeForce GTX 580 3gb - workstation. * Macbook Air late 2010 - Laptop * Intel Core 2 Quadcore 2,5 GHz, 4GB RAM, Geforce... [view my complete system specs]

64 bit, GPU acceleration, better AMA, better exports with GPU acceleration, better grading with true secondary and lift gamma gain, higher resolutions (4K, 5K etc.) and a video stream online (for directors being far away on the phone or skype).

That would blow ANY competition away and it will be future-proof MC for a long time.

• undefined Sat, May 29 2010 7:58 PM In reply to

•  DylanReeve
      • Top 50 Contributor
      • Auckland, New Zealand
      • Posts 1,569
      • Points 19,110
      • Moderator: MCA Mac
        Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Give us some mercury...?

It seems hard to imagine that GPU processing won't be incorporated into Avid in the future, but it's only really started to become a mature technology in the last year or so, and judging by Media Composer 5, the Avid developers have been pretty busy following that development path. It seems that in genereal Media Composer is starting to become more modular in it's functionality (AMA framework for media handling, I/O SDK for hardware support) so it's conceivable that some sort of acceleration framework be included that could utilise GPU and potentially other acceleration hardware - I wouldn't hold your breath just yet though.

2x HP Z400 Media Composer 5.0 w/Matrox MXO2 Mini, 1x HP Z800 Symphony 5.0 w/Nitris DX, 1x HP Z400 Media Composer 6.0 w/DeckLink Studio 2, EditShare... [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
      Auckland, New Zealand

Mon, May 31 2010 5:04 PM In reply to

Re: Give us some mercury...?

I didn't say it was simple, LOL. BTW, my post a few above goes into this a little bit.

There is the code writing ? of CUDA C vs OpenCL vs Direct3D. And there is also the broader implementation issue that the PCI-Express bus bottlenecks information sent between the CUP to the GPU.

I imagine Avid is first trying to optimize its code for 64bits and multiple CPU cores before rewriting for CUDA cores. It would seem odd to take advantage of cores on the GPU and not those on the CPU. Esp. since 64bits and multicore processors are more mature and widely implemented technologies.

MC 6.0.3.3, QT 7.7.1, Nvidia driver 310.90 (using at my own risk), Window 7 Professional 64-bit SP1, IE9. Quadro 2000 and 600 videocards (four monitors... [view my complete system specs]

"When I spent 60k on a discreet edit digisuite system 10 years ago someone came up to me to offer fcp 2, I said it was a scam too." -Ric

MacPro 2008 3.1 | 34GB Ram | Quadro 4000 980ti 960| MC 8.10 | OS 10.6.8 10.13.6 | MOTU HDX-SDI | ATTO R644| LaCie 324 [view my complete system specs]

• Mon, Mar 25 2013 1:02 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 4,020
    • Points 48,520

Re: The 1000lb Engine In The Room?

While I said that Premiere's Mercury Engine has set the standard for playback engine, I am still unimpressed with the total tool set of Premiere.  A friend just noted that while editing on Premiere he always felt he was on the verge of a crash.  I know the feeling.

No one has the full compliment of tools that would make me feel as if there is one Killer Edit System

Avid DS was that once. Sigh.

Tech is advancing fast.

How can Avid rewrite such basic code as the playback engine AND still have software that would be compatible with all the projects that clients have created over the years on their Avid systems.  Do you think the screaming was loud because of Smart Tools? Imageine if Avid came out with Super Playback Engine and - oh by the way it can not open any of your old projects ...

While such a product might be able to be written, would we editors accept the price and bug pain that would probably cause?  It ain't gonna be pretty in any case.

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." 2021 iMac w Big Sur [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

• Tue, Mar 26 2013 12:35 PM In reply to

Keep in mind that Adobe has been working on that "mercury" engine since version CS5.  They have had 3 cracks at it, with a good amount of time (18 months) between versions.  It's no doubt the fastest playback engine, certainly exponentially faster than Avid's playback system.  

Of course there are also downsides.  You cannot take a CS5 or even CS5.5 project and expect it open up perfectly in CS6.  Adobe makes no claims that up or downward compatibility is a priority, even when it works.  They've got a lot more freedom in that regard than Avid.  One day Avid will hae to "cut the cord" so to speak if they want to make a leap in performance, I am sure.  

Home: 2012 rMBP 2.6ghz, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.10.5, MC 8.4.1 || Work: HP Z400, Win7 Professional, MC 6.5, ISIS/Interplay @danielfrome on twitter [view my complete system specs]

Avid GoPro

• Tue, Mar 26 2013 2:13 PM In reply to

• the_dark
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Fri, Aug 17 2007
    • Posts 165
    • Points 2,255

After speaking with Avid recently (I'm not going to name names), I'd have to say part of the problem is Avid doesn't believe anyone would ever switch. To paraphrase, 'The studios will never use Premiere.' Therefore, by logical extension, if no one is going to switch why should they fix what isn't broken?

I feel Avid believes it beat Final Cut and it will also beat Adobe. Except what really happened was Apple beat Final Cut into an unrecognizible heap. Final Cut in contrast to iDevices wasn't making Apple money a ton of money. So, Avid didn't have to do anything but stick around long enough for people to wake away from Apple shaking their heads in disbelief.

Adobe isn't going to blow the product to focus higher margin areas. They don't have higher margin areas. Content creation is Adobe's market and alway's was. They have the programmers and the drive to make their products better. And they will.

Every past titan of an industry that fell did so because they didn't believe the tiny upstart challenger could hurt them.

Dell Precision T3600 Intel Quad Core Xeon E5-1607 3.06Ghz 8GB Memory (4x2GB) 250GB System Drive 500GB to 1TB Media Drive nVidia Quadro 2000 Dell... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller