Latest post Tue, Sep 25 2012 11:49 AM by le_k. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Sep 24 2012 6:11 PM

• borys.t
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 29 2009
    • Posts 45
    • Points 640

Copying and Pasting to different tracks...

Now I know there are work arounds like using ctrl + alt + c to load the clip in question into the source window and then bring it back down into your timeline but I don't see why I can't select a clip, copy it, make active the track I want it to paste to and then past it there. Instead MC will only paste the clip to the same track is was copied from. 

• Mon, Sep 24 2012 9:27 PM In reply to

• Andy Ward
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Jul 31 2008
    • Posts 38
    • Points 560

Re: Copying and Pasting to different tracks...

Yes I feel your pain, there are other work a rounds I've seen in other postings that still mean a few too many keystrokes but still enable you to keep working on the timeline which might help.

I'll use mac terminology but the equivalents also work for pc

In the timeline make sure the timeline position indicator is at the start of the clip you want to copy to another track. In red segment mode apple c, still in segment mode with the mouse move the segment to the track you need without moving the position indicator and then apple v, this places the clip back in its original position and you've got the other clip where you wanted it without too much fuss and need to  assign tracks to edit back into the sequence. hope it helps a little

MC v4.05 & Nitris boxes Mac OS X 10.6.2 Mac Pro, 2 x 3ghz Quad Core Intel X, 6 gb 800 mhz x4 HP xw8600 - Vista x1 Software only - Windows XP x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Sep 25 2012 12:24 AM In reply to

Option+C will load whatever is marked between the I/Os into the Source monitor.  Then it's just a quick re-patch of the tracks and  V or B or Insert or Overwrite to wherever you like.  

Copy/paste (a la FCP), also copies to the same track, IIRC.  When I work in FCP, I'm always having to move down to an empty section of my timeline to paste a copied clip, then I move it to where I want.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Sep 25 2012 11:49 AM In reply to

• le_k
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • cologne
    • Posts 251
    • Points 3,355

Kenton.VanNatten:

Option+C will load whatever is marked between the I/Os into the Source monitor.  Then it's just a quick re-patch of the tracks and  V or B or Insert or Overwrite to wherever you like.  

Copy/paste (a la FCP), also copies to the same track, IIRC.  When I work in FCP, I'm always having to move down to an empty section of my timeline to paste a copied clip, then I move it to where I want.  

why click endlessly around when it can be done easier???

back in the old "LIQUID" days you could easily copy to/from ANY track...they should have implemented this when they bought and killed the software....

but finally it seems as if they got to extract the code from liquid to drag segements without filler in 6.5 Stick out tongue (and sell it as a "new" feature...haha)

...so there's still hope for a new feature in future versions that might allow you to really drag-n-drop as dirty as it used to be in the liquid-days.....

keeping my fingers crossed....

1. avid mc 8.9.3 intel i7 7700, 32GB DDR3, nvida geforce gtx 1070, Win10 64bit, 9TB-Raid-0 @ onboardcontroller // alienware intel i7 win10 64bit ... [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller