Latest post Sat, Feb 4 2012 9:15 PM by Larry Rubin. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Feb 4 2012 11:39 AM

Organising in Media Composer.

I have approximately 300 hours of material split virtually 50/50 between mini dv tapes and Canon XF305 card acquired footage.

I would ideally like to have all the footage in one place but then be able to use it in several different projects. They would vary in size from 2 minute trailers to say a 3 x 60 minute series, with many variations in between.

I have self funnded the shooting of this material and can't afford a craft editor until I can get get a commission, so I need to organise this material in a way that a craft editor would best like it prsented after I have found the best material and stories.

Any advice would be gratefully accepted. The best advice and the one that I use will get a with thank credit on any of the material that makes it out of the cutting room.

Running MC5.03 on a 27 inch iMac OSX 10.6.5 Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz Total Number Of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB Processor Interconnect... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 4 2012 12:01 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,275
    • Points 16,230
    • !Avid Customer Advocate
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Re: Organising in Media Composer.

Hi David.  Follow as many of the guidelines in this post (here) as best as you can, and your future craft editor will love you forever.

If that post doesn't answer all your Q's, please post back again.  We'll make it work.

Many systems. Windows 7, Windows 10, and all flavors of macOS. Juts assume I'm running everything ;) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)   WWND (What Would Norman Do?)   #AllisWell

• Sat, Feb 4 2012 2:03 PM In reply to

Thank you Pixel for that advice - It is a system I will follow. Re-reading my intial call fro help and advice I don't think I made my question too clear.

To clarify, I need to use the same media, a combination of mindv and cardbased MXF in several different projects. How do I do this? 

Running MC5.03 on a 27 inch iMac OSX 10.6.5 Intel Core i7 Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz Total Number Of Cores: 4 Memory: 12 GB Processor Interconnect... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Feb 4 2012 5:47 PM In reply to

• Chepal
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • germany
    • Posts 538
    • Points 6,305

hi david,

in mc it's very easy:

make a project only with dv and one with mxf_cardbased. organize them with different bins.

in your new project you can open every bin from other projects and work with - you have access to all your mediafiles.

you can create other formats, framerates, what ever and mc handle all.

che

mac_mc_2024, fibre, sata, ssd [view my complete system specs]

peace from germany

• Sat, Feb 4 2012 7:54 PM In reply to

• Pixel Monkey
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Everywhere. Just like Avid ;)
    • Posts 1,275
    • Points 16,230
    • !Avid Customer Advocate
      ForumsAdministrator
      Moderator: SSAI PHAI
      SystemAdministrator

Hi again David - I just re-read your original post and have one quick piece of friendly advice.  I edit long format projects like the one you mention (multi-month or even multi-year edits), and the number one problem I run into as an editor is dealing with any organization system set forth before I arrive at the project. The smoothest, most efficient, and frankly least expensive projects (for the producer that is) are ones where I do all the postproduction organizing and digitizing.

For the sanity of any craft editor you employ on this, don't do anything at all except placing everything in one box, each tape, drive, DVD (etc) clearly labeled, and logged into a database or a clean-looking paper list.

Your editor will thank you.

Many systems. Windows 7, Windows 10, and all flavors of macOS. Juts assume I'm running everything ;) [view my complete system specs]

Editors are superheroes, cutting life together in a world that cuts itself apart.

Chris Bove' (Pixel Monkey)

Twitter: @heybove   Blog for Craft Editors

WWLD (What Would Larry Do?)   WWND (What Would Norman Do?)   #AllisWell

• Sat, Feb 4 2012 9:15 PM In reply to

Just to echo other's thoughts here, I do a lot of episodic series editing, and I'll create a "Common Elements" project which contains shared footage, shared effects templates, shared music/SFX, master templates, shared graphics/titles, etc. Then within any given episode project I'll open bins from the common elements depending on what I need. This way, when it comes time to delete individual episodes I can do so with the safety of knowing that deleting any given episode will NOT delete anything used from the common elements project.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller