Latest post Sun, Jan 8 2012 1:51 PM by Marianna. 23 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Jan 7 2012 9:55 AM

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,840

Avid FX Crash - "Can't open System File" - now in MC6!

I had this problem with MC 5.5, - reported here - http://community.avid.com/forums/p/100331/577715.aspx#577715  and solved by deleting the Avid FX ini file from the Windows folder.

Now, in MC6, I have exactly the same problem again - whilst using Avid FX (exploring, actually), suddenly a small panel pops up centre screen with the message "Can't open System File" - which then rapidly repeats slightly down right of itself until it reaches the bottom right corner - obviously in a never ending loop.  Go to the Task manager - and the panel is shown hundreds of times - and as fast as it is deleted, it regenerates.  Only way out is to close MC.

As I say, the cure last time was to delete the Avid FX ini file from the Windows folder ... but that doesn't exist - in the Windows folder - in MC6 (perhaps it should - and that's why it cannot be found?).  The old renamed file (I always rename rather than delete ... in case!) is still there though.  That can, of course, go now.(That won't be the cause of the problem this time ... no program would look for a file with the namer I gave it ...!!)

Does anyone know where the Avid FX ini file is now kept - if there is one  (I have done many searches looking for it without success) - or what it is called now, or what the cure for this Avid FX show stopper could be, please?

I would re-install, but worry about whether it needs de-activating first(?), and in any event last time I did that, it did nnot solve the problem at all.

Apart from this one thing, MC6 seems to be running very sweetly, and the installation of MC and all its 'bits' went smoothly without problem.  So things are imoproving in the Shaw household...

TIA for any help on this.

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 7 2012 10:03 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,840

Re: Avid FX Crash - "Can't open System File" - now in MC6!

Additional info - there are several various Boris FX ini files in Windows -  but thery're all empty!  Is that right???? Very odd (When I tried BCC8, it worked fine ...)

MC6.0.3.2 Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Rev2 MB, Intel i7-950 3.06Ghz, 12GB DDR3 1333Mhz RAM, 1x500GB, 3x1TB HDrives, 2+1TB Network drives, nVidia Quadro FX1800... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jan 7 2012 1:11 PM In reply to

Mike Shaw:
    Does anyone know where the Avid FX ini file is now kept - if there is one  (I have done many searches looking for it without success) - or what it is called now

I've never encountered that problem (or heard other reports of it) but I can tell you the prefs file is now here ;

C:\Users\YOUR USER NAME\AppData\Local\BorisFX\Avid FX\AvidFX 6.0 Preferences_x64

I believe AppData is hidden by default so you may need to first Show Hidden Files

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Show-hidden-files

and you can change the status of that folder so it's not hidden if desired ;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-is-a-hidden-file

If the problem persists I would encourage you to contact our tech support since they may have encountered it before.

—————— Dirk de Jong BorisFX

• Sat, Jan 7 2012 1:20 PM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,320

I can recall that during some switch in the past I had similar problems, probably caused by old settings, " snap all home " or something similar fixed this for me.

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sat, Jan 7 2012 10:30 PM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Maarssen, The Netherlands
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,665

Mike,

did you uninstall the AvidFX version for MC 5? I did before installing MC6 and did not see this behaviour.

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.3, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4 (still in my system, but I don't use it anymore), Boris Continuum... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:14 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,840

Dirk - Many thanks for the reply there - quick question - is that Preferences file the same as the 'ini' file in the previous Avid FX version, or, more to the point - is it OK to delete it?  (Actually, I won't do that, I'll rename it something awful, so it can be restored if need be).  On Marianna's suggestion, deleting the file the last time this happened to me cured the problem completely - so a bit surprised/upset to see it occur again with MC6.  Oh - by 'our' tech support - do you mean Boris support? I believe you are a Boris person? 

I've always said, if you think something is foolproof - just give it to me to play with. I'm the fool that will prove it isn't! (First time I said that, to a chap called Mike Iampietro, I ended up beta testing Pinnacle Studio and Liquid for over 12 years... what fun!)

Tomas - not sure what 'snap all home' means ... but if its a cure, I'd like to know!  Big Smile

Sef  -  Yes, I uninstalled Avid FX along with MC5.5 - and Avid DVD, prior to installing MC6.

I'll be having a look at the file Dirk mentioned tomorrow now (been a long busy day - hence delay in getting back to this thread), and will report back on the result. Fingers crossed ...

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:48 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,427
    • Points 98,115

If you still get this problem after the suggested fixes, Mike, I'd be more suspicious of the environment that Avid is trying to operate in.  The fact that exactly the same problem shows up with two entirely different code bases says to me that you have something else on your system triggering this.

I would suggest disabling Avid and its associated apps, backing up your project data then formatting and reinstalling Windows.  Do a brand new clean install of Avid and BCC8.  Re-enable everything and launch Avid.  Recreate new projects matching the old ones in both name and format exactly one at a time.

Quit Avid, and I mean really shut it down.  Don't just switch to the desktop.  Copy the bin data (.AVB files) from the project backups into your new matching projects.  Do not open the old projects inside Avid.  Now launch Avid again.  Give it a thorough workout and see what happens.

Assuming that it passes muster, progressively re-install any other applications that you regularly use one at a time.  Check Avid's behaviour each time.  If you find one that causes Avid to fail, uninstall that program and never use it again.  Continue until you have your system back where you want it.

I know that this looks like a tedious, time consuming task.  That's only because it is.  But I think that you will need to do this, because I'm pretty confident there's something other than Avid that's triggering this behaviour.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 8 2012 7:54 AM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,665

Oh boy! Before I would do all these things, I would ask for an additional life insurance offer.

If you think of all the extra installed drivers, options, windows updates, driver updates etc. and the risk of loosing your most important data on your system drive...

And not to mention, if that all is OK, the complete install of all AVID and Boris products, with their appopriate valiadation keys...   brrrrrr.

No, reading from this post and from the first "encounter" experiences in MC5, I would go for the rename of the new ini file, called AvidFX6.0 Preferences_64 in your Users folder.

I did a quick test, that when I changed one setting, this file is "touched" and not the former Avid FX5.8.ini file that is still in my C:\Windows. I could delete this file, but it is so small, that I don't.

Maybe there is something wrong in your "Danmark". But before killing all people in it to get rid of the problem? Not me, unless.......

MC6.0.5, QT version 7.7.3, AvidFX 6.2(64bit), Squeeze Pro 8.5.0.41, AvidDVD 6.4.4 (still in my system, but I don't use it anymore), Boris Continuum... [view my complete system specs]

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 8:32 AM In reply to

• mjolnarn
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Feb 8 2006
    • Sweden
    • Posts 13,346
    • Points 160,320

Mike Shaw:

Tomas - not sure what 'snap all home' means ... but if its a cure, I'd like to know!  Big Smile

Mike, on my Mac right now but the commands are similar, place to go is, window- workspace - and , at the very bottom ,

" snap all home "

Mac: 17" Macbook Pro i7 2,66 ghz with 8Gb Ram, 500gb 7200rpm drive___ PC_NEW Win10 Pro Mbo Asus Rampage IV Black CPU Ivy Bridge-E 4960X ( = 12 x 4... [view my complete system specs]

Tomas 

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 10:11 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,840

jrwl - That is a drastic step - and I can absolutely understand the reasoning for you coming up with it: it does seem extremely odd that Boris (via Dirk) hasn't heard of it before and that I should get it twice on the same machine.  However, in all honesty all those steps would be too much for me to handle without creating further worse problems (including a mental breakdown!).  The editing machine for MC is bereft of other programs, and those that are on it (that I have added) relate purely and only to video editing and its associated tasks.  Apart from the MC suite - including SonicFire - there is Audacity, Nero, Paintshop and Band in a Box, and the machine was built especially for MC5.5/6 by a well-established company that sells video editing systems - including MC.  I would prefer to not use Avid FX than go through all of that procedure, quite honestly! 

Tomas - Ah!  I'll have a look at that - but I would have thought it related to snapping all the opened windows together.  Can't really see how it would cure a problem with a system file that cannot be opened in Avid FX?

Sef - Yes. All of that.  You know me well. That procedure would be virtual suicide for me! And would unquestionably result  in me creating even more problems!  At my ripe old age that's the kind of stress I can do without! 

Now booting up my MC PC in great anticipation...

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 10:47 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,840

Well ... so far so good.  I played around (in my usual random click-this-and-drag-that way), with no apparent ill-effects, so, thanks Dirk! I think once again, I managed somehow to corrupt that file ... ask not how. T'is within my nature to cause mayhem...

What I can't do at the moment (and here is where RTFM really has great significance) is adjust an effect's properties by selecting/clicking the new 'rings' in the viewer - soon as I left or right click, they vanish.  I have been very careful to click within the brightened 'ring handle' of a circle too.  So ... some printing and a little bedtime reading needed here.

Unless things as basic as this are part of your new Tutorial that's about to be made available Douglas??  (See how near to square one I am with Avid FX?)

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 11:25 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,553
    • Points 255,120
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Mike Shaw:

What I can't do at the moment (and here is where RTFM really has great significance) is adjust an effect's properties by selecting/clicking the new 'rings' in the viewer - soon as I left or right click, they vanish.  I have been very careful to click within the brightened 'ring handle' of a circle too.  So ... some printing and a little bedtime reading needed here.

Unless things as basic as this are part of your new Tutorial that's about to be made available Douglas??  (See how near to square one I am with Avid FX?)

Where shall I begin, Mike?

First of all, I forgive you for wanting to play with your new toy.
    That is 1. The way to learn to use it. 2. It can also be the way to break it Geeked

Since you mentioned my long promised tutorial packet on Avid FX, I am pretty sure that bar unforseen problems it will be online within the next 7 days.

It is indeed basic stuff for new Avid FX users. But that is where you and I have different opinions of what is basic and what is not....

The rings  you mention are actually part of the new BCC filters control. They are not in themselves part of the basic Avid FX control system. Look on them as an extra enhancement. You can still control those filters through the normal Control panel and down on the timeline, as well as in graph view.

So the problem you are having with them at the moment is not a show stopper in anyway at all, in my book.

Keep on playing!

Yes

You will get there in the end.

Regards,

Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Jan 8 2012 11:39 AM In reply to

• Mike Shaw
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Kent, United Kingdom
    • Posts 1,424
    • Points 19,840

Certainly and definitely not a show stopper ... but they're a very convenient way (could be) to adjust the properties of the selected parameters, and they're there to use. So I want to (know how to) use them...  Wink

I suspect its a simple matter of not knowing what I'm doing.  Par for the course ...

I've currently copied the Avid FX help stuff onto another computer, because I absolutely hate it when you have the Help file up, and every time you go to the program to follow an instruction, the Help file vanishes behind.I tried with the Help file displayed on the second monitor and reducing the width of the main programme - but that isn't satisfactory either.

Why or why can't they have an option to 'Keep the Help File 'ON TOP'??  Or perhaps they do, and I can't find it Embarrassed

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:09 PM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,665

I try to understand what Mike was talking about the "rings".

Well, I might be a LOTR here, because the red, blue and green colored rings for adjusting properties, stay in my viewer!

Or has Mike used another Filter/Effect as I do?

I tried it with several filters, like Glow, Brightness-Contrast.

BTW Mike, did check the version of your NVIDIA driver? It should be 275.89 and QTime version 7.6.9, or 7.0

I use, without a problem still 7.6.9

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 12:11 PM In reply to

• Sef
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Posts 1,008
    • Points 13,665

sorry QT 7.7 and not 7.0

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller