Latest post Sun, Jan 8 2012 5:37 AM by Ronald Czarnecki. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 4 2012 1:41 AM

• avid4avid
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 15 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

multi camera editing on sequences

i'm new so be gentle. I see how to take two clips group them e.g. with synced in points and do an on-the fly multi camera edit. My source is two sequences of clips [files broken into 2G chunk MTS files from 2 canon Vixias]. As i understand it i can't 'group' sequences, just clips so how do I do this? any help appreciated

Filed under:
  • Wed, Jan 4 2012 2:51 AM In reply to

• Camilo
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 23 2010
    • Virginia
    • Posts 967
    • Points 12,145

Re: multi camera editing on sequences

Hi, welcome to the forum...  I am not sure if I totally understand your question.  It is possible to sync more than two clips.  You just set your in point on each one and then do a ctrl+shift+G and select what you want to sync them by.  (inpoint, outpoint, etc.,) it will then create a group of clips for you that you can place in your source monitor.  Once you drag it into your source monitor then you have to select the multi camera view so you can see all the clips that are synced.  After you have done that then you select the portion of the series that you want to edit and put it on the timeline, then ctrl+M puts you into multi cam edit mode and you are set to go at it...

If I made any sense I hope this helps... If I made no sense and was no help I am sorry. :-)  If I did not help maybe you can try and better explain your situation to me and I will make another attempt at explaining things...  If I fail terribly hopefully someone else will jump in here and help us both out. LOL... :-)  I do a lot of multi cam editing though so hopefully I can help you a little. :-)

CAmilo

Intel i7-980x Hexacore water cooled by Corsair H-50 on EVGA Classified 762 with 12Gigs RAM and Quadro FX3800 Video Card. Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Sound... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 4 2012 3:32 AM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,857
    • Points 46,580

What I do in this situation is one of two things.

1. Get cam A and Cam B in sync with In Points.  Make a group.   When either of the Cameras stops (end of 2G chunk) get them in sync again and make another group.  You might have a small group if the overlaps are small.  This can get tedious but you should only have a small mess at these overlap points.

2.  Remember that you can have up to 9 cameras in a group.  With a bit of work you could make CamA chunk 1 be "Cam 1", CamB chunk1 be Cam2, CamA chunk2 be Cam3, CamB chunk2 be Cam 4, etc.  The way you would do this is inteligently modifyng the source TC of your various camera files.  Do this by putting each chunk on a layer of a sequence.  Get them in sync.  Now go to the first frame of each clip, note the TC of the Sequence and modify the in point of that clip to be the Sequence time code. 

Now you can make a group using Source TC as the sync method.

You might need to fiddle with this method, but I believe it will work.  Granted, not a fun task for  someone new to Avid.  Just make sure you have safe copies of you original camera files in case you make a mess of things.  But if you get this to work you will have learned a fair bit of Avid media wrangling.

Hope that makes sense.  Maybe someone else will have a better idea.

Good luck,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:04 PM In reply to

• avid4avid
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Dec 15 2011
    • Posts 2
    • Points 40

thanks for the replies. 1) i knew that more than two clips could be grouped. I had only 2 cameras and they didnt stop once started, it's just that the cameras break up the files in 2G chunks for compatibility with OSes that dont like larger files. If the cameras had stopped, i think JEFs solution while tedious would be best. I finally actually found a utility to join AVCHD file chuks into one long file then imported these two files into avid and from there multicam was easy to set up and a huge time saver. You can get a rough cut on the fly and then just fiddle the cam switch points a few frames one way or the other. I'm liking Media Composer.

• Wed, Jan 4 2012 11:21 PM In reply to

• jef
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Sun, Feb 26 2006
    • Maryland
    • Posts 3,857
    • Points 46,580

Good solution.  Might I ask what utility you used to join the chunks?  Sounds useful.

Cheers,

Jef

Avid DS 11.0.2 R.I.P | MC "Well, it depends ..." mostly 8.12.9|OS 10.14.x - iMac Pro 2019 - home system MacPro Dual 2.8 8core GTX680 "Harpertown"... [view my complete system specs]

Jef Huey

Senior Editor

Old Stuff  http://vimeo.com/album/3037796

• Sun, Jan 8 2012 5:37 AM In reply to

I was wondering the same question, would like to use a utility to group clips of MXF before import in MC6.

Look at the post here for a picture of my problem.

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/104862/606700.aspx#606700

MC Version: 2018.2 System: PC windows 7 Pro 64 bit, Workstation ATX mid Tower case, MSI Z87-G45 MBoard, 650 watt,Crucial M500 250GB SSD, Intel i7-4770K... [view my complete system specs]

MC 8.4.5     Built Workstation-Windows® 7 Professional, 64bit,/ Intel® CoreTM i7-4770K processor/ NVIDIA Quadro K2000D 2GB/16GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz /MSI Z87-G45 Mother Board/650 Watt Power/ Super Multi Blue Writer (LG BH12LS38)/ AVID C-400 for audio interface  Pro Tools MP

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller