Latest post Fri, Dec 9 2011 5:05 PM by stuartbruce. 325 replies.
Page 7 of 22 (326 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 19 2011 6:57 PM In reply to

Re: What new features do you want in MC 6?

Job ter Burg:
    Hate to be a spoil-sport, but on such a project, that bin is likely to be gigantic, and likely to take forever to open, save, and close, if it doesn't chew up your memory when it does any of that.

Perhaps, but compared to opening and manipulating each of 127 bins one by one, I would think the time differential would be negligable.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jul 22 2011 3:32 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 658
    • Points 8,765

I just thought of another oldie but a goodie.  I've always thought it would be nice to be able to resize some of the tool windows, like you can with the composer source and record windows.  It would be nice if for instance the audio mixing tool window could be resized. 

And again, I had to output a few quicktime files the other day and they needed to be within certain size ranges and it took a bunch of tries to get it right instead of just being able to click the settings I wanted and have a reading of the estimated final output file size.  This can't be that hard to do and would be a huge time saver for evryone.  Especially when exporting long sequenes that take a long time to export, only to find out the file size is too big.

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 22 2011 3:43 PM In reply to

• DShulkin
    • Not Ranked
    • Michigan
    • Posts 174
    • Points 2,235

adam5000:
    I've always thought it would be nice to be able to resize some of the tool windows,

Good one on the tool windows. I would love the dynamic windows that Adobe offers in their suite.  I have great layouts and workspaces that are so much nicer/useful in my work.

Nitris DX/MC 6.x-MacPro 8c, 12GB RAM, 6TB of internal RAID 0 storage. Adrenaline MC 5.x - MacPro 8c, 6GB RAM, 6TB of internal RAID 0 storage. EditShare... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 22 2011 8:45 PM In reply to

• adam5000
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 658
    • Points 8,765

Does anybody else wish for spell checking in Title Tool.  I can spell pretty well, but there's something about white titles on a black background that sometimes makes words look like you've never seen them before in your entire life.

MC Version 8.4.4 Mac OS 10.10.5 IMac 27" 3.2 Ghz i5 16gb RAM [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 22 2011 8:53 PM In reply to

adam5000:
    Does anybody else wish for spell checking in Title Tool. 

That's also a very LONG standing features request that goes back several years. What can I say?Hmm

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jul 22 2011 9:50 PM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

Pixel Monkey:
    It sucks to have a 26 month long documentary project with 127 bins and 44 sequences, and for me to have to open all 127 bins just for the select media relatives trick to work.

Actually, you don't, if you put all of your sequences in one bin. Launch the media tool for that project with all three search options active. Then, select all of the sequences and go to "select media relatives" from the bin menu. All related media will then be highlighted in the media tool bin. You don't need to open all 127 bins.

Or put them all in one bin and go to the hamberger menu, set bin display, and enable Show Reference clips.

much easier than the "use the media tool" method.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Fri, Jul 22 2011 10:02 PM In reply to

FunkyDragon:

Or put them all in one bin and go to the hamberger menu, set bin display, and enable Show Reference clips. Much easier than the "use the media tool" method.

However, this method will NOT display pre-computes unless you also enable "show rendered effects". And even with that active, it will ONLY show the latest rendered file for each rendered effect. If you have rendered the same effect multiple times, you will wind up with orphaned pre-compute media files floating around in your system. The media tool will display everything without additional steps, and assures that you will leave no orphaned media files behind.  

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jul 23 2011 2:33 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,460
    • Points 98,575

The ability to reassign the project to which media belongs without having to consolidate.  Anyone who does series work and needs to maintain a stock footage library would appreciate this one!

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 23 2011 3:00 AM In reply to

jwrl:
    The ability to reassign the project to which media belongs without having to consolidate.

I'll gladly second that one. Can be as simple as "change project linkage..." from (source project name) to (target project name).

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jul 23 2011 7:29 AM In reply to

Larry Rubin:
    I'll gladly second that one. Can be as simple as "change project linkage..." from (source project name) to (target project name).

Same here. Numerous times have I consolidated media just so it belonged to a different project.

From the old Apple Quadro 950 to HP Z8xx. My current own systems: 1x Z420 E5 1650 32GB memory quadro K2200, 1x XW8600, 2x 3.0Ghz Quadcore, 24GB memory... [view my complete system specs]

Jeroen van Eekeres 

Technical director, Broadcast support engineer, Avid ACSR.

Always have a backup of your projects....Always!!!! Yes Always!!!!

A.V.I.D....... Another Version In Development

www.mediaoffline.com

• Sat, Jul 23 2011 7:35 AM In reply to

Thing is: that metadata is baked into the mediafile. So ot is not just something you chsnge at bin level. Methinks.
    Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 23 2011 8:57 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,460
    • Points 98,575

The mechanism to perform the magic should be as simple as a media file header rewrite.  At the very worst it could be a copy with new header process - a sort of hidden consolidate-relink-and-delete-original.  Regardless, the user interaction should still be simple.

In any case as already noted, this is a wishlist.  Wishlists could even include a money tree, eternal life, and the life partner(s) of your choice.  But I think that this is likely to be more achievable than any of those.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, Jul 23 2011 10:17 AM In reply to

• Nnata
    • Top 100 Contributor
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 13 2010
    • London
    • Posts 1,026
    • Points 13,690

-Match frame to include the out point of the clip you are matching(or atleast have the option to do so.

-The Super Command Pallette! - Which is available via keyboard shortcut and has the keyboard attached to the bottom of it ready for mapping.

• Sat, Jul 23 2011 1:06 PM In reply to

adam5000:
    I just thought of another oldie but a goodie.  I've always thought it would be nice to be able to resize some of the tool windows, like you can with the composer source and record windows. 

Avid needs to go further than that. The entire nle needs to operate more on a windows based principal. Each section should be a window which can be moved/resized anywhere you wish.... including the source/preview windows. Adobe can do it... Vegas can do it. In fact with either one of these programs I can not only extend (dual, triple and even quadruple monitors) horizontally, but vertically too. You can't do that with MC.

With this ability you can then set up (and save into memory) different layouts for each different phase of editing, and recall them at any time.

• Sat, Jul 23 2011 3:51 PM In reply to

did u guys see the new interface for media composer 6 yet? they show it briefly at an avid conference where they introduced 64 bits, let me tell ya, the interface finally caught up with time, its more modern and for some reason it looks like its using the protools transport imbedded into it.link to the preview: http://hollywoodreinvented.com/2011/07/exclusive-sneak-peak-at-avid-media-composer-6-0-interface/

Page 7 of 22 (326 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller