Latest post Wed, Feb 1 2023 1:47 AM by TVJohn. 15 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, May 7 2011 3:16 AM

• Jayson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 5 2008
    • los angeles
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,690

pre-computes can't be loaded in monitor? y not?!

Hi,

I'm getting a message that "precomputes can't be loaded into monitor" when i try to get a graphic with an alpha channel to show up in the source monitor from the timeline. 

what makes a precompute a precompute? because sometime videos with alpha channels will load into the source monitor and i can't figure out which ones can and can't. can anyone help me understand this?

thx,

jayson

Avid 8.4.5 w/ Symphony x2 (1) iMac 2014 32gb Ram 4gb vram (2) Macbook Pro (just for writing not editing) (camera) Panasonic GH4 x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 7 2011 4:12 AM In reply to

• Geoffs
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Oct 19 2009
    • L.A
    • Posts 88
    • Points 1,090

Re: pre-computes can't be loaded in monitor? y not?!

Unfotunately, this is just one of those things that hasn't ever been addressed. Lots of people have voiced their displeasure with the issue, so hopefully one day it will be fixed. 

If you've lost the clip somewhere in a complex project, you at least have the new search feautres to use in 5.5 to find it. 

Windows 8.1 Professional 64bit i7 4600K 3.2 32 gig-o-ram GTX TITAN Video Card 17" Macbook Pro i7 8 gig-o-ram [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 7 2011 6:27 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,953
    • Points 70,420

There's a console command You can enter and MC will load precomputes afterwards, as I'm not in front of an Avid at the moment I'm afraid that You'll have to browse the console help or search the forum to come out with the exact command.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Sat, May 7 2011 1:01 PM In reply to

• Alec Cullen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 8 2007
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 65
    • Points 940

I've been a user for 17 years and the way I figure it is the reason Avid gives you translates to:

"because they can't"

imac 3.4ghz Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 7 2011 1:17 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,460
    • Points 98,575

aleccullen:
    I've been a user for 17 years and the way I figure it is the reason Avid gives you translates to:

"because they can't"

In this case they can, since by enabling a software switch in the console pre-computes can be loaded.  They apparently just choose not to.  Why?  I don't know.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sat, May 7 2011 1:53 PM In reply to

• Alec Cullen
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 8 2007
    • Sydney, Australia
    • Posts 65
    • Points 940

Does anyone have a list of amazing command thingos for the console, or are all these fixes just myths?

imac 3.4ghz Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under:
  • Sat, May 7 2011 2:15 PM In reply to

luca.mg:
    There's a console command You can enter and MC will load precomputes afterwards, as I'm not in front of an Avid at the moment I'm afraid that You'll have to browse the console help or search the forum to come out with the exact command.

SUBSYS MONPANE DEBUG

If you screw your system up entering console commands, don't come crying to me.  :)

ciao,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2024.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Sat, May 7 2011 4:10 PM In reply to

Forget the console. As has been pointed out, this is a serious deficiency in Avid for MANY YEARS and has been brought up MANY TIMES. The easiest workaround is to park on the pre-compute in the timeline, mark it, then CTRL + ALT + c. That will load it in the source monitor. You can then edit it back in the timeline at a different position and extend the duration if necessary. Find bins will not work, however.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, May 8 2011 12:21 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,460
    • Points 98,575

That's the technique that I use myself, Larry.  But the point is that both that and the "monpane ..." console switch are workarounds.

A design decision was made from the outset not to permit users to directly load precomputes.  This arguably may make sense as far as rendered media is concerned; unfortunately titles are also regarded by Media Composer as precomputes, and are also caught by the prohibition.

Now in another part of the software, Media Composer "understands" that titles are a special case.  It always has.  You can store them in bins, and load them from there.  You can't directly do that with any other precompute.

Since titles are recognised as special-case precomputes in one section of the software, why is it not possible to make that global?  The same technique (or a variant of it) should also support loading titles into the source monitor from the timeline.

This has been a request for as long as I can remember.  Avid still hasn't been able to implement it.  This suggests that there must be some serious underlying flaw in the design of the title tool that precludes it.

Possibly the rewrites involved in moving to 64-bit may make it possible to address this flaw.  But don't hold your breath.

MC 7.0.4 - Asus P6T Deluxe V2 mobo - Intel i7 920 2.66GHz - Windows 7 Ult64 SP1 - nVidia Quadro FX 1800 - 16 Gbyte low latency DDR3 RAM - Internal 8 Tb... [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, May 8 2011 12:24 AM In reply to

jwrl:
    This has been a request for as long as I can remember.

Right along with uninterrupted playback while selecting other functions.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sun, May 8 2011 12:33 AM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,460
    • Points 98,575

Larry Rubin:
    jwrl:
    This has been a request for as long as I can remember.

Right along with uninterrupted playback while selecting other functions.

Never understood that either.

• Tue, May 10 2011 11:54 PM In reply to

• Jayson
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Mon, May 5 2008
    • los angeles
    • Posts 373
    • Points 4,690

thx for the reply's everyone, i still don't understand what makes a precompute a precompute. because i can source from the timeline video layers with alpha channels but sometimes i can't and it's because of this precompute issue. so what makes a precompute a precompute as apposed to just a video with an alpha channel?

thx,

jayson

Avid 8.4.5 w/ Symphony x2 (1) iMac 2014 32gb Ram 4gb vram (2) Macbook Pro (just for writing not editing) (camera) Panasonic GH4 x2 [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Jan 30 2023 11:22 PM In reply to

• binba
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jan 15 2007
    • Posts 95
    • Points 1,325

Noice! Happily replying to this thread from nearly 12 years ago... because we needed this today and it still utterly applies to 2018.12.15 (and I wouldn't be surprised if it's in MC2022, too).

I was asked to regain access to title media whose project didn't have the effects (crash). This at least allowed loading the titles' precomputes to more easily recreate them word-for-word.

• Tue, Jan 31 2023 7:17 PM In reply to

• Mercer
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Apr 15 2010
    • UK
    • Posts 861
    • Points 11,150

That - mark it, then CTRL + ALT + c - was a piece of wisdom, amongst so many, echoing down the years, from the late great Larry Rubin. And in 30 years of using Avid, it's a new one on me. I remember him well here and it was only yesterday, I lost a very dear American friend of mine. It's funny this should come up now. RIP and thanks Larry.

MC with Symphony option, 2022.10, HP ZBook 17 G5, i7-8850H 6 core/64GB ram/512 M2 ssd/Nvidia Quadro P5200/16GB/FHD, HP Thunderbolt Dock G2, BMD Ultrastudio... [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jan 31 2023 10:37 PM In reply to

• jwrl
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Melbourne, Australia
    • Posts 8,460
    • Points 98,575

Mercer:
    That - mark it, then CTRL + ALT + c - was a piece of wisdom, amongst so many, echoing down the years, from the late great Larry Rubin.
    Since I've retired I don't come here as often as I used to, but I still think of Larry often.  He is still missed.  I also miss his joking emails.

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller