Latest post Sat, Mar 19 2011 8:25 PM by HamNCheese. 32 replies.
Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Mar 14 2011 4:58 PM

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 389
    • Points 5,695

problem with darkest interface settings

I'm finding that I'm starting to like the "inverted" look of the darkest interface settings (slider set all the way to Dark).  However, the scroll bar sliders MUST be lightened up.  It is IMPOSSIBLE to see them on this setting.

freelance, I work on a lot of systems [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 14 2011 7:03 PM In reply to

Re: problem with darkest interface settings

I made this same exact point in a post in the Referendum Thread. How about it Avid? Are you all ever going to pay attention to the criticism regarding the interface color schemes that have been made OVER AND OVER AGAIN, and prove that you're listening by affecting the changes that virtually everyone is asking for?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 14 2011 8:03 PM In reply to

Please don't tell me that there are NO changes to the interface options in 5.5. I was hoping to see a return to the past customizable interface of the old days (or not so old). What is the issue with providing choices? The colors can't possibly affect the performance of the progran can they? Why were the options removed in the first place and what happened to "this is only a temporary situation" we were told when they took customization away?

System 1: HP Z400, 3.20G Quad Core, Quadro 4000, 250G SSD system drive,Windows 7 64, MojoDX w/active hib, 6G ram, Cal Digit VR ESATA Raid, Recommended... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 14 2011 8:24 PM In reply to

.....and here comes the complaints..??

• Mon, Mar 14 2011 10:20 PM In reply to

Clement Canino:

What is the issue with providing choices? The colors can't possibly affect the performance of the progran can they? Why were the options removed in the first place and what happened to "this is only a temporary situation" we were told when they took customization away?

I have witnessed several on-air blunders DIRECTLY related to DEEP customization of the interface.  the worst was this one:

An editor working on a national news broadcast was fiddling with the interface settings trying to get the RIGHT color purple for the Audio Track, the RIGHT color orange for the video track, the RIGHT shading on the buttons... etc etc etc.  he was working on this for 2 hours.

Well, his story became the lead story and he missed pushing the package on-time by about 30 seconds.  everyone was suspecting transfer errors, etc.  but looking at the logs, it showed he started to push the package less than ten seconds before the start of the show. 

the post mortem assesment was that this guy was too busy fiddling with his interface colors to be bothered with doing his job.

Plus, too much customization makes the interface look like Fisher Price threw up a Cosby Sweater.

Does the addidion of beveled, rounded, lime-green buttons make you a better editor?  does it make you faster at your job?  or does it just make you feel good?

**EDIT**  Also, too many contrasting colors on the interface can affect how your eye precieves color.  that can drastically affect your ability to color correct.  try it:  stare at a red piece of paper for about 30 seconds.  now look at a white wall.  Blue, ain't it?  **EDIT**

My opinion is that the interface looks much cleaner when it is gray and has noticable highlights.  that being said, i would like more highlight options and a better way to set default bin background colors, etc.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Mon, Mar 14 2011 10:22 PM In reply to

Clement Canino:
    What is the issue with providing choices? The colors can't possibly affect the performance of the progran can they? Why were the options removed in the first place and what happened to "this is only a temporary situation" we were told when they took customization away?

My impression is that the customizable interface doesn't fit into a homogenous interface that will be implemented across all Avid products.  Is that speculation?  I don't know.  But it is my opinion.  

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Mon, Mar 14 2011 10:46 PM In reply to

My single biggest complaint about the interface changes pertains to the dark one. Black scroll buttons on a black background - for all intent and purposes, invisible. If you want an exercise in frustration, try finding and manipulating those scroll bars and buttons. Absolutely unacceptable. How any designer could have thought that combination was a good idea is totally beyond me.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 14 2011 10:53 PM In reply to

FunkyDragon:

...the post mortem assesment was that this guy was too busy fiddling with his interface colors to be bothered with doing his job.

Sorry, but I fail to see how that situation can be blamed on interface color options, and not due to a failure of personal, professional discipline, especially when you are working in a "race the clock" environment. 

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Mon, Mar 14 2011 11:52 PM In reply to

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 389
    • Points 5,695

Here's another good one: master locators and locator pop-up windows: black text on a dark grey bg.

Think Apple makes these kind of interface mistakes?

• Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:03 AM In reply to

One of the easiest on the eyes interface color design can be found in the public beta version of the Lightworks NLE. Avid designers could learn an awful lot about color combinations in the GUI that can be viewed hour after hour after hour with virtually no eye fatigue at all.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:30 AM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

FunkyDragon:

...the post mortem assesment was that this guy was too busy fiddling with his interface colors to be bothered with doing his job.

Sorry, but I fail to see how that situation can be blamed on interface color options, and not due to a failure of personal, professional discipline, especially when you are working in a "race the clock" environment. 

I Completly agree.  100%.  but i've seen that happen WAY too many times.  Editors get obsessed with getthing things "Just So".  I get spending time to tweak your keyboard, but really, how much value does setting the shading and bevel percentage add to Media Composer?  And then i find that some of them don't put in as much effort into getting the color of the VIDEO right.

But really, how can they when they have a rainbow of colors to attract the eye and confuse their brain?

It's an unpopular opinion here, but i'm fully behind the simplification (restriction) of the interface tweaking.

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:40 AM In reply to

• HamNCheese
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 389
    • Points 5,695

I have no problem with the button controls being gone.  However not being able to change the default color for new bins is a disaster.

As far as the interface being distgracting to the eye, one of the things that makes me bonkers about editing on a Mac is that it opens all the windows on a shared screen where you see your desktop icons, email program, photos, or whatever else happens to be open behind the Avid.  How are you supposed to focus on the video when there's all kinds of crap sharing the screen?  Why they leave the Mac version of MC like this (not to mention Photoshop) is beyond me. 

Then when bring your email program to the front and go back to Avid, you end up with half the Avid windows visible mixed up with your email.  it's a freaking mess.

• Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:43 AM In reply to

The simplification doesn't bother me near as much as the horrendous contrast situation (or lack thereof) between text and backgrounds in the interface. It's as though someone thought of a great practical joke to play on the user base by coming up with the cybernetic equivalent of invisible ink. And it's not funny...not funny at all. What it is, is very fatiguing and headache inducing, and I don't like that one bit.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:46 AM In reply to

HamNCheese:

How are you supposed to focus on the video when there's all kinds of crap sharing the screen?  Why they leave the Mac version of MC like this (not to mention Photoshop) is beyond me. 

Then when bring your email program to the front and go back to Avid, you end up with half the Avid windows visible mixed up with your email.  it's a freaking mess.

That's one thing that doesn't happen on the PC side. There is an application window behind the entire Avid GUI that hides the desktop. Much easier to focus and concentrate without distraction, but the color situation and contrast issues are disgraceful.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Mar 15 2011 12:49 AM In reply to

HamNCheese:
    However not being able to change the default color for new bins is a disaster.

Yes, I completely agree with that. You can change the color of the bin backgrounds, but you MUST do it ONE BIN AT A TIME. No way to define a default. What a time waster.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 3 (33 items) 1 2 3 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller