Latest post Wed, Nov 17 2010 10:23 AM by SussexJohn. 7 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Nov 16 2010 9:18 PM

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 15 2010
    • Hervey Bay, Queensland. Australia
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

Pictures on film clip

Hi All,

I am new to both the forum and in the use of Media Composer, What I am trying to do is have the film clip run in the back ground with the pictures dissolve in, stay for about 10 seconds then dissolve out...One picture will be in the middle all the time and the others will dissolve in and out around that one...I have got the pictures coming in but I just cant seem to get the dissolve in and out working right...Do the pictures need to be longer in time or something I just dont know...should the pictures be all separate on their own??? I am just unsure..

Any help would be much appreciated

Regards

Rob

MSI A6200 Laptop, 4Gig DDR3ram, 500gig HDD.

Intel Pentium P6100 @ 2.0ghz 2.0ghz

Windows 7 64 bit

Avid Media Composer 5

MSI A6200 Laptop, 4Gig DDR3ram, 500gig HDD. Intel Pentium P6100 @ 2.0ghz 2.0ghz Windows 7 64 bit Avid Media Composer 5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Nov 16 2010 9:33 PM In reply to

• SussexJohn
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Wed, Dec 21 2005
    • Brighton, England, UK
    • Posts 556
    • Points 7,770

Re: Pictures on film clip

If I understand your question correctly, the answer is to do with 'handles'.

If, say, your images are all 5 seconds long and you lay them end to end on the timeline, the disolve effect has nothing to work with.

Let's say you want a one second disolve between each image, and let's assume you want to do this on the timeline (you would probably be better doing this in the Source Monitor, but I'm guessing you already have these on the timeline).

At the start and end of each image you would trim 12 frames using the Ripple Trim tool, giving you 4 second long clips to which you then apply a 24 frame disolve. This is for PAL-lands (30 elsewhere)

I hope I have described this correctly; I am sure other more experienced MC editors will come up with better methods!

MC5.0.3.8, win7 64 pro, Matrox mini 02, Gigabit X58A mb, i7 Q930 2.83GHz, Nvidia Quadro FX 1800, 6Gb 1066 ram, 2 1Tb video HD, 500gb 7200 system HD, 1tb... [view my complete system specs]

SussexJohn

• Tue, Nov 16 2010 9:52 PM In reply to

John is correct. You need to leave "handles" of footage outside you mark ins and mark outs that are equal to or greater than the duration of the dissolve transition. You cannot add a dissolve transition at both the dead end of the outgoing clip and the head end of the incoming clip. So, for example, if you want a dissolve that is 30 frames long, you must have 30 frames of handle after the mark out of the outgoing clip, and 30 frames of handle before the mark in of the incoming clip.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Tue, Nov 16 2010 10:14 PM In reply to

• SussexJohn
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Brighton, England, UK
    • Posts 556
    • Points 7,770

Larry Rubin:

So, for example, if you want a dissolve that is 30 frames long, you must have 30 frames of handle after the mark out of the outgoing clip, and 30 frames of handle before the mark in of the incoming clip.

Forgive me Larry, but I always work on 50% of the length of the disolve either side of the cut?

MC5.0.3.8, win7 64 pro, Matrox mini 02, Gigabit X58A mb, i7 Q930 2.83GHz, Nvidia Quadro FX 1800, 6Gb 1066 ram, 2 1Tb video HD, 500gb 7200 system HD, 1tb... [view my complete system specs]

SussexJohn

• Wed, Nov 17 2010 12:31 AM In reply to

SussexJohn:

Forgive me Larry, but I always work on 50% of the length of the disolve either side of the cut?

That's fine for centered on the cut transitions, but for transitions either starting or ending at the cut, handles equal to the full duration of the transition would be needed.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Nov 17 2010 2:02 AM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,551
    • Points 255,080
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Rob:

Hi All,

I am new to both the forum and in the use of Media Composer

Hello Rob,

Welcome to the MC Forums.

For a more graphic explanation of what has just been suggested, here is a short Video tutorial.

Regards,
    Douglas

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
    Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Nov 17 2010 7:33 AM In reply to

• Rob
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Nov 15 2010
    • Hervey Bay, Queensland. Australia
    • Posts 2
    • Points 30

I thank you all for your prompt replies :) 

What I have done so far is to put each picture onto its own track and the pictures range in time from 30 seconds down to 15 seconds to give them a bit more length. I have added the dissolve onto the front and end of each picture and the superimpose 3d settings on each one. All I have been doing is trial and error lol but I am getting there :)...So as it stands now I have one picture that comes on the screen and stays for 5 minutes, the other pictures I have stating one after the other in different corners and stay till all have been shown then they dissolve off. I dont know if I did it right but it looks ok for now...I have a 2nd lot of pictures to add ont it yet so I will see what it looks like after I have done that.

Again thanks all and keep the ideas flowing :)

Regards

Rob

MSI A6200 Laptop, 4Gig DDR3ram, 500gig HDD. Intel Pentium P6100 @ 2.0ghz 2.0ghz Windows 7 64 bit Avid Media Composer 5 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Nov 17 2010 10:23 AM In reply to

• SussexJohn
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Brighton, England, UK
    • Posts 556
    • Points 7,770

Larry Rubin:

but for transitions either starting or ending at the cut, handles equal to the full duration of the transition would be needed.

Of course :)

SussexJohn

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller