Latest post Wed, Oct 20 2010 9:45 PM by John Moore. 3 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Oct 20 2010 5:30 PM

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 38,060

Source side color correction functionality

Need some feedback to take the folks at Avid.

In my universe, the source side correction has always worked that once a clip was corrected using a source side mode, it was never affected by another clip having a new source side effect applied.

Example: I apply a correction by Master Clip mode to a clip named "Joe walks down the street". Now that Master Clip is corrected throughout the timeline. Next a apply a Source Clip Name correction to another clip later in the timeline named "Joe walks down the street". 

In the past, the new source clip correction would not replace the earlier Master Clip correction. Since that is how it used to work, my workflow is based around not being afraid to apply a source side correction in a sequence while worrying that it might change other corrections I have already made.

This is not how it works now. The new correction trumps all previous corrections and replaces them. This has burned me and a lot of other Symphony editors I know. I have the ear of Avid engineering on this, but they contend that this is the way it should work. For me to prove that it didn't used to work this way, they want me to tell them what version worked in the old way (A correction doesn't get removed by a later correction applied in the timeline)

Anyone know a version number where this still worked correctly (in my opinion)? 

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 6:22 PM In reply to

• bonang
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Boston, MA
    • Posts 408
    • Points 5,090

Re: Source side color correction functionality

It worked as you describe, and as expected in 3.5.9. I haven't had a situation to test the Master v. Source clip hierarchy problem yet in 5.0.3.

Avid MC 2021.6 with Symphony option | HP zbook 17" G3 / i7 6820HQ / 32GB RAM / 512GB SSD / WIN 10 PRO 64 / nVidia m3000m w/ 461.72 driver / BMD UltraStudio... [view my complete system specs]

Keith

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 7:51 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 38,060

It looks like it might have been broken in the 4.x software.

From the Avid-L2:

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, "Steve Pomerantz" <steve@...> wrote:
    >
    > Terry,
    >
    > I just tested it on our v3.0 Symphony Nitris. I chose a group of 4 shots
    labeled "NY court house b-roll". On one of the clips I applied a Master Clip
    correction where I jacked the saturation up to 200 percent. Then I went to a
    later clip and applied a Source Clip Name correction and dropped the saturation
    to 0 percent. On v3, it works the way you described. The Master Clip
    correction was not affected by the Source Clip correction.
    > Glad my ancient technology could be of service to you. Maybe someday I'll get
    to try this on v5 with a CPU from this millenium (*sigh*)
    >
    > Steve Pomerantz
    > Senior Editor
    > Digital Ranch Productions
    > Sherman Oaks, CA

--- In Avid-L2@yahoogroups.com, John Moore wrote:

Re: Source side color correction functionality in Symphony
    Good to hear Steve I had just speculated off list that I thought the behavior
    changed between 3.1x and 3.5x. Sounds like I was right. It definitely is
    messed up on my 4.0.5 SNDX mac version.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Wed, Oct 20 2010 9:45 PM In reply to

• John Moore
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Feb 3 2006
    • Studio City, CA
    • Posts 397
    • Points 4,475

Reading this makes me think it was probably between 3.5x and 4.0x.  This would explain why I didn't seem to be bitten by this last season in the same room when I was on 3.5.4 SNDX on a mac.  This season I upgraded to 4.0.5 and now see the problem.

Symphony Nitris and Nitris DX 4.x and MCsoft 5.x & 5.5x, MCsoft 6, Artist Color [view my complete system specs]

John Moore Barking Trout Productions bigfish@pacbell.net

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller