Latest post Mon, Oct 18 2010 4:53 PM by Evan Schiff. 2 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Mon, Oct 18 2010 12:21 AM

• Evan Schiff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,460

Import (Copy) Directory of MXF Media

Just wanted to suggest a copy command whereby you could select a directory of MXF media on an external drive and have it copy & index that to a Unity workspace (or local Avid media directory). Many shows receive dailies pre-digitized on hard drives now, and though it's incredibly easy to just copy and paste, I am always in favor of avoiding any kind of direct file management on the part of people who may or may not know how to manage the Unity file system. Since receiving hard drives of Avid media is already very common, it'd be great to see a function that would allow you to copy the media from an external drive to a workspace from within Avid. 

It'd be kind of like a consolidation, but simpler.

MC 7.0.0, OSX 10.8.4 Retina Macbook Pro Blackmagic Mini Monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Oct 18 2010 1:29 PM In reply to

Re: Import (Copy) Directory of MXF Media

Step 1:

Connect drive

Step 2:

Make sure the Avid MediaFiles or OMFI Media Files folder is at the root level of the drive.

Step 3:

Open Media Composer and let it scan the new drive

Step 4:

Open the Media Tool.  Choose "All Projects" and your new drive.  Hit OK

Step 6:

Select all and Right-Click and choose Transcode/Consolidate

Step 7:

Choose Consolidate and choose your destination hard drive.  you may make any sample rate changes, etc.

Be sure to choose "Relink to new location" or something like that. (going from memory)

Step 8: 

Hit OK and go get a coffee.

So once Avid is open, it's really a 4 step process.  it's also the BEST way to move media files, as moving them though the OS could lead to some really awful problems.  This kind of feature has been in Media Composer ever since I can remember. (10+ years?)

Enjoy!

Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option Win7x64 Pro HP zBook 15" Laptop - 16GB RAM (2nd System) Media Composer 8.2 Dongle+Symphony Option - HP z420... [view my complete system specs]

The FunkyDragon 

Happy Editing!

• Mon, Oct 18 2010 4:53 PM In reply to

• Evan Schiff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,460

Re: Import (Copy) Directory of MXF Media

As I already wrote in my original post, it would be like consolidating, but simpler. Pick a directory, even one that isn't properly named/scanned/etc, and hit OK.

Despite the consolidate feature having been around for a while, most assistants I know still don't really know how to use it properly. And also you assume that the drive given to Editorial has the proper folder structure for scanning. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. You and I may have a really simple time moving media around, but the fact is that to many people it's a really mysterious thing. The conversations I've had over the past week have proven that point for me once again.

MC 7.0.0, OSX 10.8.4 Retina Macbook Pro Blackmagic Mini Monitor [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (3 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller