Latest post Mon, Mar 9 2020 8:20 PM by Richard Ward. 13 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sun, Oct 10 2010 11:03 PM

Exception: A Serious Error Has Occurred!

I'm repeatedly running into the error message "Exception: A serious error has occurred! It is recommended that you immediately save your work and restart the system."

What is this error about? The first time it came up, my first search for answers led me to think it was a corrupt media problem. The short story is that I'm getting this error in 3 projects on just about every piece of media I'm opening.

The long story is that I'm cutting a short film shot on the Canon 5d. I processed the dailies with the FCP import and converted them to ProRes. I opened the ProRes files in AVID via an AMA volume and edited for a day. Then at night, I did a transcode from ProRes to DNx45 to give me AVID friendly offline clips. My plan was to cut with the DNx45 clips, online by re-importing the original ProRes clips.

When I opened the project this morning, it gave me an endless "saving" on one of the bins, I had to crash out of Media Composer and restart. I restarted and got a the "Exception a serious error..." for the first time. I tested by playing 'in to out' until I triangulated in on a corrupt piece of media. Removed it from the timeline, and kept working.

Today, I am now getting that error on everything - every sequence, every clip whether it's transcoded, imported directly, or opened via AMA.

What's happening here? 

Running MC 5.0.3/OS 10.6.4

3.5 GHz 8 core Intel Xeon [view my complete system specs]

Follow me on Twitter: @jeffrey723

• Tue, Nov 2 2010 2:01 AM In reply to

Re: Exception: A Serious Error Has Occurred!

did this ever get resolved? I'm having an identical problem stemming from an almost identical process.

• Thu, Nov 4 2010 6:09 AM In reply to

It didn't really get resolved, so much as I found a work-around.

I was having problems with some AMA material in a mixed timeline with transcoded material. I wound up transcoding all my footage (which, quite frankly was something I should have done to begin with but that's another story), and over-cutting anything from an AMA source.

Once I did that, the problem went away. Good luck!

Jeff

3.5 GHz 8 core Intel Xeon [view my complete system specs]

Follow me on Twitter: @jeffrey723

• Wed, Jan 12 2011 3:34 AM In reply to

• mjc
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles, CA
    • Posts 146
    • Points 1,755

I had this problem and solved it.

It was related to using AMA from bins that were in outside projects.  I opened up a project after having moved the location of the AMA tree of folders, and everything was not linked and I'd get the error.

After putting the folder tree back on the exact same location on the same drive... I still had the errors.

What I needed to do to fix (re-link) everything was open the bins from the OTHER projects inside the project that was having the issue.

I'm done with AMA though for now... I'll just do as everyone suggests and use it to log prior to transcoding.  It's a shame though, because it would be extremely helpful and save tons of time if you could edit with it.

Nitris DX Symphony Option / MC 7.0.4 | Mac OS X 10.8.5, Dual 3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon MacPro, 10GB RAM | Facilis Terrablock 24D [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Aug 31 2011 4:00 AM In reply to

• ilkka
    • Not Ranked
    • nyc
    • Posts 133
    • Points 1,550

mjc - are you still around?

i'm just experiencing this horror on a large project.

not entirely sure about what you did in your fix - should i just open ALL the bins that contain ama clips that relate to the project?

and try to relink the sequence on each one of  them? again - a lot of bins. like over a hundred...

my timeline WAS linking to dnxHD transcodes at some point, but it's possible that some of it now after numerous relinks is linking to h264 AMA-clips.

http://community.avid.com/forums/p/96928/555608.aspx#555608

describes a situation that may be related to what i'm experiencing - my media drive was momentarily disconnected just before the problem started.

UPDATE: problem resolved here for now - we had different master clips pointing to the same media, and i suspect that the fact that these two sometimes had different start TC's (5dM2 h264 - depending on the machine - qt-version, os? - when AMAing them in you sometimes get start TC, sometimes not) was causing this.

if it wasn't for the misleading error message and it's suggestion of restarting the program, the problem would not be as serious as it appears. clicking past the error you can still access your timeline and fix it.

Filed under: , ,
  • Wed, Sep 7 2011 1:54 AM In reply to

• Duane
    • Not Ranked
    • Pasadena, CA
    • Posts 31
    • Points 305

Hi Guys.

I haven't taken the time to read through this thread to see if it's been resolved, but here's what I just discovered.  I had an HD-QT clip from After Effects in a folder on my desktop (Mac based) which I brought into my Avid project via AMA.  I cut the clip into a sequence.  After a bit, the clip was moved, breaking the AMA link.  I got the error message.  After I rebuilt my database for the media (by tossing my msmFMID.pmr and msmMMOB.mdb files from the media directory)...

I still got the error and then realized the clip was still part of my sequence.  When I cut that clip out of the timeline, the error went away.  So I'm about to relink with the replacement clip and continue on.

Hope that helps.
    Duane 

an Avid Editor since AVR 1... I remember the first NAB booth Big Smile

• Fri, Oct 7 2011 11:12 AM In reply to

• Jean Dunoyer
    • Not Ranked
    • Watertown, MA
    • Posts 156
    • Points 2,015

It's too bad AMA is half baked.  Avid claims you can edit with it, but I have found it rather perilous.  Everything seems fine, and then WHAM, as you are about to hit deadline, it seizes up on you.  Instead of inventing new features in the next releases, why don't you fix the known bugs?

MacPro 2 X 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 6GB 1066 MHz DDR3/Avid MC 5.0.4 OS 10.6.8 [view my complete system specs]

DunoyerFilms.com

• Tue, Oct 25 2011 11:51 PM In reply to

• Jahles
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 19 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Alright jeffery i know it might be to late but i have come accross this same issue. i found that it happened when i took my project from my home system and started to work on a project on another system, but i was missing a file when i went to that system (media offline) I saved on that system and went back to my home system and the missing file did not link. the "Exception: A serious error has occurred! It is recommended that you immediately save your work and restart the system." came up. i just erased the old file (media offline) and created a new one (just one piece of footage) i hope that this helps.

• Tue, Oct 25 2011 11:57 PM In reply to

Jahles:
    ...i took my project from my home system and started to work on a project on another system, but i was missing a file when i went to that system (media offline) I saved on that system and went back to my home system and the missing file did not link.

Did you batch re-capture or batch re-import the missing file? That should have maintained the original linkage when you went back to your home system.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Oct 26 2011 1:43 AM In reply to

• Jahles
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Sep 19 2011
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

you know i think once i went to the other system it saved that format instead. so when i went back it was thrown for a loop like it should have been here, its says its here, but i dont see it here type of deal. if that makes sense.

• Fri, Sep 28 2012 3:53 PM In reply to

I keep getting the same error each time I try to import new media.  I'm not even AMA linking, I am actually trying to import and convert the clips to DNxHD; I never had this problem before, but it is occuring in the latest version of AVID MC 6.5.0

Specs:

Mac OS X 10.8.2, 2.7GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB Memory.  2012 Macbook Pro (Non-Retina)

2012 MacBook Pro 15", OSX 10.8.5, 16GB Ram, 512 Crucial M4SSD, 750GB Seagate HDD (7200rpm) with Drive Caddy, no optical Drive. Avid 6.5.4 16TB Drobo... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Feb 19 2020 6:55 PM In reply to

I am having the same problem when trying to import into MC 7.0.3 on an old WIndows 7 machine in my office. If I have the time to go to the edit lab and work on Windows 10 (can't remember the version of Avid) I have no problem. But just trying to do a simple import of video into my office machine, and I get the error message described above. Does anyone have an answer for this?

• Mon, Mar 9 2020 4:41 PM In reply to

• Ben Dodds
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Mon, Jul 7 2014
    • London, England
    • Posts 40
    • Points 475

MC 7 was incredibly flighty, Try bringing that machine up to MC 8? Your machine should still be able to run it with out issue. 

I'm on Win 7 running MC 2019 without issue on a z440

ACSR Elite 4 x z840 MC2018.12.6, 1 x z840 MC2019.6 all w/Symphony option, Baselight for Avid, Neatvideo 17 x z840 MC2018.12.6 5 x z4 MC2018.12.6 4... [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Mar 9 2020 8:20 PM In reply to

Thanks, Ben. I'll try that.

The funny thing is that MC 7 worked fine on this computer for years and never had this issue.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller