Latest post Wed, Jul 28 2010 2:58 AM by Larry Rubin. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jul 27 2010 8:16 AM

• samson p
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 7 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 90

new aivd 5.0 system, trying to import HDV captured on mac with apple codecs

I just built and am learning (student) new AVID 5.0 system on a DUO core Intel PC, trying to import HDV files captured on mac and Final Cut Pro with apple intermediate codecs.

i have the raw files that were captured on a MAC using FCP. I had them first all burnt to dvd data disc(90GBs) but the files were NOT viewable on my Pc's using QT Pro, Cineplayer from Roxio, Windows media player and once imported to AVID, only sound No picture???

Tried again with an external hard-drive formatted for cross-platform use. Samething only sound no pictures!

QUESTION: Should I find a way to covert all these files(lossless or close), if possible, or recapture from the DV tapes directly onto my system and into AVID?

note:I am NOT a FCP owner or user, I must move forward with AVID system!

thanks

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 9:36 AM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,440

Re: new aivd 5.0 system, trying to import HDV captured on mac with apple codecs

samson p:
    i have the raw files that were captured on a MAC using FCP

What Kind of raw files?(what is the file extension?)

samson p:
    the files were NOT viewable on my Pc's using QT Pro, Cineplayer from Roxio, Windows media player and once imported to AVID, only sound No picture???

It means that the codec is not installed in Your System.

samson p:
    Should I find a way to covert all these files

What kind of files?

samson p:
    or recapture from the DV tapes directly onto my system and into AVID?

Earlier You said HDV. Any way DV or HDV it is better to Capture directly into AVID may save a lot of headache.

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Tue, Jul 27 2010 9:47 AM In reply to

• werkru
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Cape Town
    • Posts 7
    • Points 75

Hi Samson

If I remember correctly the FCP Prores and internediate codecs only works on mac and not on pc. Also the codecs will have to be installed on your system to play back.

You will have to recapture with Avid or use an avid that is installed on a mac with the FCP codecs installed.

As far as I understand AMA will play back anything that QT will play but if you dont have the FCP codecs installed then QT wont play the files and therefore AMA and Avid wont recognise the files.

MC 5, MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.93 GHz, 4 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Jul 27 2010 8:55 PM In reply to

• samson p
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Jul 7 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 90

Hi , Thanks for the response.

Q: what kind of files?

When I view the files in QT Pro movie inspector on my PC's they are listed as one of two formats: HDV 1080i60 or Apple Intermediate Codec

They have NO file extensions, In PC land, when viewing the same file on the MAC it shows up as a .MOV

I have read that I can get this Codec( still not sure how to get the it or which one) from FCP or a MAC and install it on my PC, is this possible, so I can take advantage of AVID's AMA capabilities...

or just recapture from the DV tapes/camera to my AVID PC system? 

thanks, samson

• Wed, Jul 28 2010 2:44 AM In reply to

• Jayanta
    • Top 75 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jul 6 2007
    • India
    • Posts 1,504
    • Points 16,440

samson p:
    just recapture from the DV tapes/camera to my AVID PC system? 

Yes It will avoid all the Compression and decompression. And more over you will have the TC.

All Sorts of System as I am a freelance Editor [view my complete system specs]

"Out of mud the lovely Lotus Blooms, Out of Strife something higher vies "

• Wed, Jul 28 2010 2:58 AM In reply to

I would agree that the least problematic route would be to re-capture on an Avid platform from the original source DV tapes. But just in case, you can get a codec identifier here, and you can download Avid codecs here.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller