Latest post Mon, Jan 25 2021 9:42 AM by NotsoLinearEditor. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Fri, Jul 2 2010 7:41 PM

Import - RT Matte or AV clip?

When importing video files, MC sometimes asks if you want to create a RT matte or an AV clip. Which is which and when do you use them?

Freelance producer/editor/videographer, Colton Media Productions
    Chief Editor of STP, CTV11

Specs: MC5.0.3 | AMD Phenom IIx6 1055T Processor (Six cores @ 2.8 GHz, 64-bit) | 8 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD5670 | Windows 7 Pro | After Effects CS4 | Multiple media hard drives

• Fri, Jul 2 2010 8:03 PM In reply to

• TCurren
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Burbank, CA
    • Posts 2,995
    • Points 38,060

Re: Import - RT Matte or AV clip?

MC can either import a QT with an Alpha channel, or a QT with audio. Not both. So if it sees a QT movie that has both an alpha and audio, it asks you to choose.

You would use the alpha if you are going to be keying the QT. A title graphic for example.

Symphony Nitris Classic, Symphony DX, MC Soft, MC Adrenaline, MC Adrenaline HD, Unity, Terrablock, ProTools [view my complete system specs]

Terence Curren Alpha Dogs, Inc.

Burbank, Ca

www.alphadogs.tv

www.digitalservicestation.com

www.editorslounge.com

• Fri, Jul 2 2010 8:06 PM In reply to

Why does MC transcode everything on import?

Specs: MC5.0.3 | AMD Phenom IIx6 1055T Processor (Six cores @ 2.8 GHz, 64-bit) | 8 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD5670 | Windows 7 Pro | After Effects CS4 | Multiple media hard drives

• Fri, Jul 2 2010 8:19 PM In reply to

ColtonVideography:

That's the very core of why Avid has such a superior media management system to any othre NLE on the market. Without that step, you would never have the flexibility of media management that happens completely in the background without you ever having to worry about it. And when importing, it really isn't transcoding - it's creating a media clip at the resolution you specify in the media creation user settings.

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jul 2 2010 9:08 PM In reply to

That's what I suspected. I like that it takes care of everything for you.

Does it transcode if you change the clip's resolution? (Obviously not if you choose 1:1)

• Fri, Jul 2 2010 9:23 PM In reply to

ColtonVideography:
    Does it transcode if you change the clip's resolution? (Obviously not if you choose 1:1)

Avid will resize and change the frame rates via pulldown if necessary in order to conform to your project format.

For HD, DNxHD is pretty much visually lossless and used widely for online of many TV shows instead of 1:1.

MC 2020.6, W10, MSI X299M, Intel 9940X, Gigabyte 2080Ti Waterforce, 64GB RAM, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, BM Mini monitor & Dell UP2718Q. MBP 2012 Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]
  • Fri, Jul 2 2010 9:36 PM In reply to

How do you transcode into DNxHD or export a sequence to DNxHD? It's not a normal export template.

• Fri, Jul 2 2010 9:50 PM In reply to

Colton, what is the purpose of your exported file? How do you intend to use it and in what application?

Newscutter Nitris DX 9.5.3.5 * Media Composer 5.5.3.6 (At Home on PC running XP Pro) * Symphony 6.5.2.1 (At home on MacBook Pro3,1 running 10.7.2) * Interplay... [view my complete system specs]

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Fri, Jul 2 2010 10:03 PM In reply to

Actually I phrased that wrong. My company logo exists as a rendered lossless AVI file that was exported out of After Effects with its alpha channel intact. I want it to be overlaid onto the video in my sequence, but it's being imported as a matte key, and it doesn't display correctly. The effect I'm trying to achieve is the logo at the beginning of my demo reel at www.coltonvideography.com. That demo reel was made in Liquid with the same file, but I can't seem to get it to work in MC.

• Fri, Jul 2 2010 11:47 PM In reply to

ColtonVideography:
    ...but it's being imported as a matte key, and it doesn't display correctly.

That is correct, you want it to import as a matte key clip. Check the import tool alpha options. Usually, "inverted" is the correct option, but sometimes it's "use existing".

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Sat, Jul 3 2010 12:05 AM In reply to

That setting was the culprit. Thanks!

• Sat, Jul 3 2010 12:39 AM In reply to

You're quite welcome, Colton. Glad to help.

Larry Rubin

Senior Editor

The Pentagon Channel

www.pentagonchannel.mil

• Wed, Jan 20 2021 11:25 AM In reply to

Larry Rubin:

ColtonVideography:

That's the very core of why Avid has such a superior media management system to any othre NLE on the market. Without that step, you would never have the flexibility of media management that happens completely in the background without you ever having to worry about it. And when importing, it really isn't transcoding - it's creating a media clip at the resolution you specify in the media creation user settings.

I realize that this thread is old, but I had to laugh when I read this.

What? I just spent 20 minutes importing mov with alpha into MC 2020 - this 'matte' file plays realtime like any other clip with alpha and audio in my other 'non superior' NLE. Stick out tongue

As for the plug about media management, it's like looking at the pieces of glass from a broken window and saying 'we have a superior and flexible shard management system'

I ask - why break the **** window in the first place?

As per Avid on my avid machines. [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 20 2021 2:28 PM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,798
    • Points 62,840

You can link to media with alpha, you don't have to import.

Larry's comment about MC's media management still holds true today, it's just not as relevant for short-form projects but as aoon as you are managing thousands of assets across multiple editors its value kicks-in.

I typically work with short projects so I almost always link to my media and take on the responsibility of managing my assets outside of media composer's media management framework. Transcoding linked assets is something I do when my linked media does not play sufficiently fast in MC.

MC 2020.12 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.3 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (20H2) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Mon, Jan 25 2021 9:42 AM In reply to

We do a mixture of short and long format, and we could work with native link - but don't. So to an extent I do agree that ingest media management can be an asset in itself on bigger shared projects in some respects - especially compared to an NLE with no other asset management tools at all.

We transcode or consolidate everything because MC just works better that way, is less prone to errors and bugs in the workflow, especially with multiple editors on the same project. It means we also use other tools for backup and asset management etc. In fact a whole range of products.

Our company also uses Adobe Premiere, and luckily I don't have any need to manage media for those projects, but it is a circus I can tell you, and very often chaos with linked files used across multiple projects causing problems. It can consolidate quite well though I believe.

The benefit of Avid is also a problem though, because once the media is re-wrapped/transcoded and in the Avid media folders - it's also mixed with other projects, hidden and kind of inaccessible - relying on built in consolidation tools is tricky and time consuming, and third party apps also have issues. Much better, cheaper, and way easier to be able to take responsibility when needed.

That's why I would like to see a more of a move towards native asset management tools from all NLE's, but especially from Avid - because we use it Smile

As per Avid on my avid machines. [view my complete system specs]
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller