Latest post Wed, Jan 20 2010 7:43 AM by camoscato. 18 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:12 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 588
    • Points 7,080

Re: Avid sequence to FCP...

Ah! The XDCAM EX Clip Browser from Sony actually converts them to MXF files that Avid can read. But it's a bit late for that, perhaps. Although you could actually test this as a workflow.

If you got the Clip Browser software, and used the Export MXF for NLE function then it makes files that Avid imports, the same as it would have imported the original files. So in theory you might be able to create new MXF files, then select a clip in your bin, choose Batch Import and change the file location to the new MXF file that doesn't have the watermark. Hopefully it will import correctly and you'll have the hi-res version in the sequence on your Avid.

Aside from that, if it is a short film, then my approach would be to get a friend and a few beers (not too many!) and sit there with a print out of your edl and recut it in FCP from the quicktime files you have. Not the best way to spend an evening but if you have some good company it'll be done before you know it.

Sometimes you can spend more time looking for a neat solution than it would take to just use a hammer!

Good luck with the film!

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 20 2010 1:52 AM In reply to

• daktulus
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 960
    • Points 13,930

Luca:

I had problems with BLKDOGs censorship also. I think he confuses "professional" with "narrow minded" sometimes which is not professional at all. No offense, but I wish we could be more professional here, which includes an understanding of the arts. Because if you are not just a data wrangler, this is what most of us editors are: artists. 

i7, Nvidia 860M, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, MC 7.03. Dell Precision M90, Core2Duo 2.16Ghz, FX1500, SATA 7200rpm, MC 4.05. Dell650, 2.8Ghz, 3 GB RAM, FX500, 5... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:28 AM In reply to

What version of Media Composer were you using?  If anything v3.5 or later, the EX files could've been brought in using AMA with no conversion whatsoever.  But barring that as an option Campbell points out that XDCam Clip Browser produces Avid compatible files (and it's free)

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Wed, Jan 20 2010 7:43 AM In reply to

Hi,

daktulus:
    I had problems with BLKDOGs censorship also.

Let's keep this thread on topic.  If anyone has any problem with an individual forum member, work it out with them in a PM.  If anyone has a problem with a moderation decision, contact the moderator by PM, and if you're still not satisfied, contact Marianna Montague by PM.

thanks,
    Carl 

Media Composer 2024.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller