Latest post Wed, Jan 20 2010 7:43 AM by camoscato. 18 replies.
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:27 AM

• asilveira
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jan 19 2010
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Avid sequence to FCP...

Hi there!

I can't find any solution to my problem, altought I'm searching for some time now..

So I have a Avid sequence made out of .avi files in draft resolution. I now have to convert this sequence to FCP so I can batch import to online resolution... So what do I do? EDL? AAF?

As long as have a sequence that opens in FCP and then I can decompose in FCP and batch import the files...

Responses very much apreciated!

Thanx in advance

(ps: Automatik Duck is not an answer for me as it costs way beyond our budget - none)

Filed under:
  • Tue, Jan 19 2010 12:58 AM In reply to

Re: Avid sequence to FCP...

Automatic Duck is the easiest solution you'll find.  I'd say well worth the expense as it would save you time and headaches while you search for a workaround.  I'm not sure what your time is worth, but if I were to spend a single day trying to research a process and then implement said process then I could've bought and paid for Automatic Duck and been done. 

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:47 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

This is being discussed quite often, by searching the forum You'll find (too) many threads/posts, and the Mac forum is the best starting point in my opinion; a search for Sebsky tools may be useful too. If Automatic duck is not an option export an EDL, it works better with plain cuts: no keys, effects, slomo and the like.

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 2:53 PM In reply to

• asilveira
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Automatik Duck is not a viable answer for my problem. I seem to find EDL the best answer. So this brings us to a new question. What kind of EDL do I have to produce? Because it's IMPORTED media, not tapes...

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 2:55 PM In reply to

• asilveira
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

I'm not buying a software to use it once. And it's beyond our budget. We're talking about an INDEPENDENT NO BUDGET SHORT FILM...

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 3:12 PM In reply to

asilveira:
    We're talking about an INDEPENDENT NO BUDGET SHORT FILM...

So not $1 has been spent on this film?  No gas, no lunches, nothing?

Kenton VanNatten | Avid Editor (for hire)

"I am not obsessed... I'm detail-oriented"

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 3:15 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,739
    • Points 227,800
    • ! Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

If you are going to go the EDL route, then you need to modify your clips so that they all have source names that correspond to the media you will be ingesting.

Then, output a CMX3600 list (No Effects) and import that into FCP.

Like others have said, though you'll spend a lot more than $500 getting this to work.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 9:43 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

Kenton.VanNatten:

asilveira:
    We're talking about an INDEPENDENT NO BUDGET SHORT FILM...

So not $1 has been spent on this film?  No gas, no lunches, nothing?

Sometimes it happens, one may say, with Forrest Gump, ___ happens, whether it is ___or not, sometimes it happens, there's no use in being aristocrat about it and it's of no use to the original poster. asilvera, You're facing a tough task, but, to say it with John Belushi, when the going gets tough... and best luck with Your short, it may be the first step of the next Francis Ford Coppola or Steven Spielberg or _____ (replace the underscores with the name of Your favourite director) and I wish You so.

Big Smile Wink Yes

Symphony 21.9, BM Intensity Pro 4k, Windows 10, i7-5930K, 32 GB ram, Quadro K620 [view my complete system specs]

peace luca

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 10:06 PM In reply to

• Neil J
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Posts 576
    • Points 7,535

Or lets look at it another way...

Why "online" with FCP? Why not finish the job on MC? If it's about budget aren't you half way there?

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 10:09 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

Neil J:

Why "online" with FCP? Why not finish the job on MC? If it's about budget aren't you half way there?

Very good point.

peace luca

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 10:38 PM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

luca.mg:
    Sometimes it happens, one may say, with Forrest Gump, ___ happens
    I've been edited, or censored, and have not even been notified! Now I don't mind if some moderator thinks that "**** happens" can't be written over the Avid forum, fair enough, but replacing **** with ___ when I also wrote
    luca.mg:
    Francis Ford Coppola or Steven Spielberg or _____ (replace the underscores with the name of Your favourite director)
    may lead to some confusion, making **** and someone's favourite director equal! Please, I do not quote from Forrest Gump very often, but, the next time I should, change **** with something other than ____ (everyone knows what that means anyway, even if they haven't seen the movie), especially if _____ is written somewhere else in the message. Forrest Gump was not even PG 14 anyway, and I did not wrote the full word, it was just comprehensible, not explicit (I already selfcensored myself), a case of zeal excess?!? Or something personal with the Academy Award winner Forrest Gump? The Avid forum being more restrictive than PG 14? ...the going gets tough! Humorous regards, Luca M. Gazzolo

peace luca

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:02 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,739
    • Points 227,800
    • ! Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Yeah Luca that was me. Sorry about that. I was writing you and email and got tied up. 

Sorry, no profanity of any type, in any form on the forums. We try to keep it professional here. I didn't even see the other underscores. Edit the message in any way you like but please leave out the profanity.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Tue, Jan 19 2010 11:12 PM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 588
    • Points 7,080

luca.mg:

Why "online" with FCP? Why not finish the job on MC? If it's about budget aren't you half way

This is true. The easiest thing to do would be to batch import the files at high res on the Avid, then if you really need to go to Final Cut (say, if you have access to a suite attached to a deck for mastering), then just export a high-res quicktime from Avid and take that straight to FCP. You might need to test a few formats (I know there is an issue on Mac with exporting Avid codec quicktime, but you could use the animation codec or something similar), and you may need a render in FCP, but at least you'll get exactly what you edited.

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 20 2010 12:08 AM In reply to

• luca.mg
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Roma - Italy
    • Posts 5,954
    • Points 70,425

No need to be sorry, I know the forum rules, I just didn't realize that using a very common expression in spoken english is profanity, but I thought that quoting from feature films lines was more than appropriate for an editing forum; I was mistaken, maybe because english is not my first language, let me say that it's not lack of professionality however. Be aware that there is profanity in William Shakespeare too, and that it is considered poetry worldwide: sentences have to be evaluated in context. We don't know each other but by reading on the forum I came to have great consideration of You and my esteem remains the same even after having been "censored" (hope I explained myself well enough), I do not mean to hijack the thread but I wanted to publicly say so.

peace luca

• Wed, Jan 20 2010 12:58 AM In reply to

• asilveira
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 50

Yes good question indeed. This is why: we shoot it with XDCAM EX and all the files came in MP4 which is not acepted either on FCP or Avid. Because we have no budget (all the lunch money came from the director himself) we can't afford Main Concept Pack one which leaves us with a watermark. That's fine for editing (or so the editor thought) but for online of course it's not... So we found the only non-payable sofware to convert this MP4 is XDCAM Transfer which can convert the MP4 to quicktimes that open in FCP but not on Avid. So this is where it gets funny. I don't need to transfer any media, only data that says that this shot starts here and has this lenght so I can batch import the online files... It should be pretty easier, at least in my brain it works... But thanx for the help guys!

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller