Latest post Tue, Aug 9 2016 7:56 AM by NotsoLinearEditor. 20 replies.
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Thu, Oct 15 2009 11:32 AM In reply to

• BarkinMadd
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Nov 4 2005
    • Ontario, Canada
    • Posts 4,821
    • Points 63,225

Re: Combining Keying (Animatte) with 3D warp, etc. - Advice please?

Tried the BCC Create Alpha - this works very well and seems to have all the controls I was looking for - Thanks. Will try the Spectramatte later on.

Love this forum

MC 2021.6 | QT 7.7.9 | Continuum 2021 | Sapphire 2021 | Mocha Pro 2021 | Titler Pro 7.7 | Windows 10 Pro x64 (21H1) | System: Asus x299, i9-7940X (4.1GHz... [view my complete system specs]

Steve

www.nelliedogstudios.com

• Thu, Oct 15 2009 11:37 AM In reply to

Glad it worked for ya, and yeah, this forum rocks.Smile

Ra-ey

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Wed, Jan 20 2010 2:18 AM In reply to

• gumbycat99
    • Top 200 Contributor
    • Joined on Fri, Jun 6 2008
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 588
    • Points 7,080

Ra-ey Saleh:
    the BBC way.  Far more controllable, though you do have to set the settings up first:
    -  First, layer up V1 and V2 as normal, ready to cut-out your 'shape'.  Then apply the 'BCC Make Alpha' effect to V2 (in the ‘BCC Keys & Matte’ tab).
    -  Now, at the top of the Effects Editor, from the 'Alpha From Channel' drop-down menu select "Alpha".
    -  A little further down, from the 'PixelChooser' drop-down menu select "On".
    - In the REGION tab, from the 'Shape' drop-down menu select "Custom".
    -  Make sure that the second widget box down is selected (on the far top right of the Effects Editor - it should say 'Custom Spline UI' when you hover over it).
    -  Now, draw your 'shape', as you would do with AniMatte.  If you accidentally draw a point you don't want, simply 'Undo' the point and it disappears.  When you want to "close" the 'shape' you have to click (and hold) the first point.
    -  To adjust the 'feathering', use the 'Region Blend' parameter.
    -  To 'invert' the selection, select the 'Reverse Range' button.
    -  Now, RESIZE, ROTATE, CROP or make any other adjustments to the cut-out in the GEOMETRICS tab.  Do not use the 'Shape' parameter in the REGION tab, as this just scales the shape NOT the cut-out.
    -  Finally, to add 'Drop Shadow' to your cut-out, from the DROP SHADOW tab, 'enable' the option and make your adjustments.

Ra-ey - this is a great explanation of this effect and I've used it a few times since, but now I've run into a problem.

I want to animate the shape that I've drawn, to follow a person moving around the shot, before I use the geometrics section to position them against a background. I can only select one of my spline points at a time, but I want to drag the whole shape all to a new position and them just adjust a few of the points. With animatte you can select the whole shape you've drawn, but with Boris the only option is to choose indivisual spline points. Is this correct? Or is there some way to move the whole shape that I've drawn?

cheers

Campbell

8.5 on a mongrel PC, Win 7, QT7.5, Nvidia GTX 970, 16Gb RAM, SSD, NAS for raw media and a Macbook Pro [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Jan 20 2010 4:58 AM In reply to

Hey Campbell,

In the same section that you chose the 'Custom Spline UI', you want to select the first option 'Standard UI Widgets' (see pic).  This will remove the spline borders from your shape.  You now get a REALLY SMALL green crosshair, with an even smaller central box.  You can drag this central box to a new position.  You might have to zoom into your monitor to be able to grab the box - not really user-friendly.  Alternatively, in this mode, go into Geometrics > Position and then adjust the X & Y there.

Then when you're happy with the position, re-select the 'Custom Spline UI' mode and make any spline alterations you want.

I actually find the whole process a little fiddley to be honest.  Hope this help.

Ra-ey

EDIT:  Sorry Campbell, I think I just completely mis-read your post.  To select multiple points, SHIFT-select them all and then drag one to the new position.

Symphony Nitris v7, Media Composer v7, Artist Color, ISIS v4.1, Unity MediaNetwork v5.4, Sapphire v6.1, Boris Continuum Complete v8.1.1, AvidFX... [view my complete system specs]

Media Composer 6 Certified User

Media Composer 6 Certified Professional

ra-eysaleh.com

LinkedIn

Showreel

• Wed, May 6 2015 2:08 AM In reply to

Funny thing is, it's 6 years since this post and Animatte still sucks.  A rinky-dink "tool" that is stuck in the early 1990's.

• Tue, Aug 9 2016 7:56 AM In reply to

Even more funnier is that it is now 11 years on and the workflow for the most simple resizing and positioning of a composite with any form of key or alpha is mindbogglingly complex and confusing in MC.

I've worked with Avid for years and whenever I have to composite anything - I go out of MC to some other tool. Life's too short. The only workflow Avid has provided of late is with third party plugins - the core of Avid is still in the 1980's as far as compositing is concerned, and I would expect it to remain like this for some time. Unless of course the aren't offering those kinds of tools elsewhere for cash.

Computer, mouse, screen and a keyboard. [view my complete system specs]
Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller