Latest post Thu, Nov 27 2008 9:28 AM by simdrivdal. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Nov 26 2008 3:45 PM

• simdrivdal
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Wed, Nov 26 2008
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Deinterlaceing in Avid

I'm having a projects at school where the subject is deinterlacing and how to get rid of it. And so there are several ways of doing it, 50p, "Bob", frame blending etc and I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what method Avid uses? I mean since Avid uses its own video format (OMFI).

Thanks!

• Wed, Nov 26 2008 4:20 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Re: Deinterlaceing in Avid

You've asked several questions at once here so let's try and break it down.

1. Avid uses both OMF and MXF media types for encode.

2. Avid does not Deinterlace its media at all since interlacing is used to play back your media on NTSC monitors. Deinterlacing can take place on output.

3. Getting "rid" of deinterlacing means to reinterlace the footage into field rendered playback. So that begs the question why you need to reinterlace. What are you trying to do?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Nov 26 2008 5:58 PM In reply to

• simdrivdal
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

Hi. Thanks for quick answer. Actually I'm not using Avid other than on school. Here at home it goes in Final Cut Pro. However we are having a project at school and I just wanted to know what Avid do with the frames if you're having interlaced footage and export the project progressively. I guess either getting rid of one of the fields or having them displayed after each other with half resolution. I mean you can export progressively, we've already tried that at school and it works, the question is what method is being used.

Thanks again for great help:)

Simon

• Wed, Nov 26 2008 6:04 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Well, in order to tell you that, it would help to know how you are exporting out of your Avid. Can you give us an idea of your project type and export settings?

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Wed, Nov 26 2008 6:54 PM In reply to

• simdrivdal
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

OK, so it's more complicated than I thought then:)

Well. What we have done it to export it as a QuickTime Movie in PAL (720x567) format. Bit rate was set to best.
    Could project type be the same as if it is private, external or shared? In that case it's external I think, but I wouldn't think that has anything to do with the exportation to do?

I'm sorry there is such small help in me right now, but I don't have the project here now. 

• Thu, Nov 27 2008 9:28 AM In reply to

• simdrivdal
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 4
    • Points 40

By the way, I'm sorry I wrote wrong. Of course I don't want to reinterlace the video. What I mean was that the project we're having at school is about deinterlacing and how to get rid of interlaced footage. But never mind though - my mistake.

One more thing. I wrote in the same question at the Apple forums pages on Final Cut Pro, and they told me that Final Cut Express (the "easy" version) and Final Cut Pro is just remoing one of the fields when you export as QuickTime Movie in progressive scans, so it's more like lower field only or upper field only depending on the format you're using. Can that be to any help to how Avid does the same job or does that depend on project setting, export settings etc.?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller