Latest post Thu, Nov 12 2015 2:59 PM by Marianna. 75 replies.
Page 5 of 6 (76 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Jun 18 2014 5:13 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,565
    • Points 255,425
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Re: "segmentation fault" in thread "MainThread", at address 0x0

Mike

This sounds like some troubleshooting is going to be needed - so you are best to contact support.

Marianna 

Director of CSM | Customer Advocate [view my complete system specs]
  • Tue, Feb 3 2015 5:27 PM In reply to

• Video Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 3 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Running into this issue in an ISIS Unity environment.  MC 8.2.  OSX Yosemtie. MacPro (early 2009) 2 x 2.26 GHZ Quad - Core INtel Xeon. 12 gigs ram.  NVIDEO GeForce GT 120 512MB.

Students linking to AMA on shared storage.  (Sony XDCAM EX).

David Smeltzer

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 2:57 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,565
    • Points 255,425
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

drive permissions?  

Plugin issue?

When did it start Dave?

Marianna

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 8:19 PM In reply to

I keep running into this!!!! following by the segmentation fault in thread maintread error.

In the error report window I see this text

Application Specific Information:

abort() called

terminating with unexpected exception of type XError: APlayer::DisposePipes: Unable To Stop Other Players!

I just started a feature film and this is really killing me!

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 9:35 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,565
    • Points 255,425
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Bry

Spec's would help here.    I know you are on a mac but what OS, MC version, etc. etc.

when does the eror occur?

Marianna 

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 9:57 PM In reply to

Marianna:

Bry

Spec's would help here.    I know you are on a mac but what OS, MC version, etc. etc.

Marianna 

I have a weak machine but its worked perfectly for 2 feature films wthout too many errors

Mac Mini 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

8GBs 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 GB

OS X 10.9.5

I noticed that if I move too fast it seems to crash. And if I wait for machine to catch up it doesnt. Ex:

Open clip from bin, its just loaded into the source monitor and I'm always trying to scrub, and CRASHHHH

If i conciously WAIT after opening. and NOT scrub, but hit spacebar to play or 1,2,3,4 to move along the frames, and THEN scrub, it does not seem to crash (I noticed this about 30 mins ago and haven't had a crash since doing it this way)

Other two features were done in MC 7 and MC 8.1, without issue, so I wonder if its a bug in 8.3

I do want to us 8.3 though because they fixed multicam / target masks, introduced 2k/4k etc, so I'd rather not go back now.

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 9:57 PM In reply to

Marianna:

Bry

Marianna 

I have a weak machine but its worked perfectly for 2 feature films wthout too many errors

Mac Mini 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

8GBs 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 GB

OS X 10.9.5

I noticed that if I move too fast it seems to crash. And if I wait for machine to catch up it doesnt. Ex:

Open clip from bin, its just loaded into the source monitor and I'm always trying to scrub, and CRASHHHH

If i conciously WAIT after opening. and NOT scrub, but hit spacebar to play or 1,2,3,4 to move along the frames, and THEN scrub, it does not seem to crash (I noticed this about 30 mins ago and haven't had a crash since doing it this way)

Other two features were done in MC 7 and MC 8.1, without issue, so I wonder if its a bug in 8.3

I do want to us 8.3 though because they fixed multicam / target masks, introduced 2k/4k etc, so I'd rather not go back now.

• Wed, Feb 4 2015 10:05 PM In reply to

Regarding my previous post. I ACCIDENTLY clicked with the mouse in the scrub area of the soruce window, after opening a clip and CRASH again.

it does seem to be a bug! Its consistently doing this !

• Thu, Feb 5 2015 7:47 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,565
    • Points 255,425
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Could a mod reproduce this?

Marianna 

• Thu, Feb 5 2015 7:57 PM In reply to

• Video Dave
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Jul 3 2012
    • Posts 7
    • Points 105
    • Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Avid Certified User

Marianna:

drive permissions?  

Plugin issue?

When did it start Dave?

Marianna

Put in new Sony plugins for Sony Xdcam EX, and so far so good.  Permissions are okay.  Should we go to 8.3?  What was addresssed in hte 8.2 to 8.3 update?

David S.

• Thu, Feb 5 2015 8:00 PM In reply to

• BLKDOG
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Lansing, MI
    • Posts 17,737
    • Points 227,790
    • Avid Employee
      Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Marianna, There are a couple of users here with the problem in the last few months. For the user with the ISIS, there is a very large system requirment on Macs that ONLY the NIC connected to the shared storage be active in the Network System Prefs/Locations tab. All other NICS should be deleted.

For Bryan's issue, what sort fo storage is involved? Seg Fault errors are an interruption in the data traffic on the NIC. THis can be caused by the Mac's Net handling or by active traffic on the NIC during communication with the Storage (Streaming background services like Spoitfy while editing for example).

I will look above to see if I can find the specs on the system but we should start there.

Project Manager, Avid Professional Services - Americas [view my complete system specs]

In agreement, Unity. In Disagreement, Discussion. In all things, Charity.

• Thu, Feb 5 2015 10:40 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,565
    • Points 255,425
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

Video Dave...

These are the major features added to 8.3

Features: 

• Background Render: Render effects in the background while you continue to work and edit within Media Composer | Software. Use the Background Queue window to confirm progress and manage jobs.
    • Favorite Bins: Have one or more bins always available no matter what project you’re in. 
      Project Information in Select Project Dialog: Selecting a project in the list displays the project type, color space, raster size, frames per second, stereoscopic profile and more - before opening the project.
    • Quick Filter in Project Window: Quickly filter bins in the Project Window based on specific text 
      Search for Markers: Search for Marker Names and Marker Comments in the Find window across all sequences and master clips within a project, in both open and closed bins.
    • Image Cache for Thumbnails: Improved performance loading, scrolling or resizing large quantities of thumbnail images in bins and the Timeline. In addition, the Media Cache setting allows users to set the memory and disk cache size, as well as establish the location of the disk cache.
    • Redundant Floating License Server Support: Configure an additional Floating License Server as a backup server in case of emergency. When the primary server goes down, the editor seamlessly uses a license from the backup server and continues working – no risk of losing access to your licenses!
    • Enhanced Feeds Management in Application Manager: View Feeds in chronological order and choose which feeds you’d like to receive.
    • DMF Support for DPX Files: The AIS (Avid Image Sequencer) plugin now supports DMF workflows. Use profiles to automate the linking, consolidation, transcode and copy of DPX files in the background using DMF profiles.
    Marianna
  • Mon, Feb 9 2015 4:01 PM In reply to

• Marianna
    • Top 10 Contributor
    • Avid
    • Posts 11,565
    • Points 255,425
    • Avid Beta Moderators
      Avid Customer Advocate
      Avid Developer Moderator
      BlogAuthor
      SystemAdministrator

BLKDOG:

Marianna, There are a couple of users here with the problem in the last few months.

Have those that are experieincing this error, contacted support directly so a case an be logged and support can start tracking this trend to get to the bottom of it?

Marianna

• Thu, Apr 2 2015 11:45 PM In reply to

• Candice
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Aug 21 2012
    • Chicago, IL
    • Posts 1
    • Points 5

I'm replying to this because it appears that people are still using this link in regards to segmentaion faults. I have an issue here on a machine (iMac, 10.9.5, i5) running 8.3.1. I can AMA and transcode media to DNxHD115 on my 8TB external drive and everything is just fine, no errors on this machine. When I move the media from that 8TB drive and bins to another 8TB external on a machine running 8.0.0 (MacPro, 10.9.5, 8-Core E5) or 7.0.0 (MBP, 10.8.5, i5), I get the Segmentation Fault Error when I try to load a clip in the source, either transcoded or AMAed. Media that was transcoded from several days ago using the (iMac, 10.9.5, i5) running 8.3.1 works just fine on all systems, this only applies to media that was transcoded yesterday and today. So it seems like this could be a permissions issue on the drive that I've been transcoding to and here are the steps I have taken:

I've run the 8TB drive where I have transcoded the media to through disk utility and repaired permissions there

Under Get Info on the 8TB drive where I have the transcoded media I have changed all the permissions to R/W and applied to enclosed items, locking this off

Deleted the MC State, Site Settings, Site attributes files from all machines

Copied the media to a shuttle drive and then copied again on the other 8TB drive for Avid to read and also tried connecting my 8TB directly to the computer with 8.0.0

I can see on all the transcoded MXFs under Get Info, they are all set to read and write on all new media 

Restarted multiple times, in addtion to creating several new projects with using new media coming from completley diffrent drives

Uninstalled and reinstalled Avid on the computer (iMac, 10.9.5, i5) running 8.3.1

I still can not get anything that has been transcoded on my machine (iMac, 10.9.5, i5) to load on another Avid/computer without getting that error. I have filed a case number today and followed the directions for the uninstall and Im still stuck here. I can do a fresh AMA and transcode from the same 8TB drive with all my transcodes on the system running 8.0.0. I can load clips, transcode, etc. And I can bring those files back to my computer running the 8.3.1 and use them as normal and then go back to the other system without it creating any errors. However, If any AMAing or transcoding originates on my system (iMac, 10.9.5, i5) running 8.3.1, it can not be used anywhere else.  Please let me know if anyone needs more info.  Thank you all!

MC 6.0.0, MBP 15"v.10.6.8, 2.66GHz i7, 4GB RAM, cores: 2, [view my complete system specs]
  • Thu, Nov 12 2015 1:29 AM In reply to

• nickm2016
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Nov 26 2013
    • Posts 9
    • Points 125

Marianna, 

I have been getting the same segmentation fault error at "Initializing Audio" when trying to start up Avid. I tried trashing the .pmr and .dbm files in the Avid Mediafiles folder, and it worked for that startup but now has stopped working again. About 50% of the time restarting the entire computer will allow me to open Avid once, but once I close it and attempt to reopen the issue arises once more (the other times restarting just doesn't help). I also checked my permissions to ensure everything is squared away there. 

I have tons of 3rd party audio plugins so it seems reaosnable that one of these is causing the issue, but where would I go looking/what would I delete to isolate it further? I'm relatviely bad at the file management on the system side of Avid. 

Thanks for the help

Nick

Macbook Pro Retina (Mid 2012), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M Graphics Card. Dual 4TB mirrored external HDs, Apple Thunderbolt... [view my complete system specs]
Page 5 of 6 (76 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next >

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller