Latest post Sat, Jun 7 2008 3:24 PM by Evan Schiff. 10 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Tue, May 27 2008 6:51 PM

• Evan Schiff
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,460

Retiming Quicktimes

Hello-

Wasn't sure where to put this question, but does anyone know of a quick way to retime a Quicktime, i.e. change the fps information on a Quicktime from 24 to 23.98? You can do it in Cinema Tools in batch, and it's a bit of a hassle as it grabs all QTs in a folder without asking, but it works. I was wondering if there's an easy way to do it in Quicktime Pro or something similar on just one Quicktime file at a time.

Note I'm not asking about re-exporting or changing frames in any way, just changing the rate at which those frames are played back.

Many thanks,

--Evan

MC 7.0.0, OSX 10.8.4 Retina Macbook Pro Blackmagic Mini Monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 28 2008 1:29 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,585
    • ! Avid Employee
      Avid Certified Instructors - Video
      Moderator: Film and 24p

Re: Retiming Quicktimes

I have tried looking for a tool to do this, but have not found one. What is your end goal? Import or just play back as a standalone movie?

Michael

24p.com

• Wed, May 28 2008 9:58 AM In reply to

• Evan Schiff
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,460

Import... Occasionally our DI or VFX house gives me Quicktimes at the wrong frame rate, and I either have to put it into its own folder and then use Cinema Tools, or request a new render before importing into MC.

That's too bad there doesn't seem to be a tool available. One would think that if both Cinema Tools and Compressor can do it in batch, it would be easy to incorporate a similar function for single files into Quicktime Pro.

--Evan

MC 7.0.0, OSX 10.8.4 Retina Macbook Pro Blackmagic Mini Monitor [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 28 2008 11:51 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,585
    • ! Avid Employee

I ask the question in the sense that do you want a frame for frame import into the Avid regardless of the frame rate indicated in the QT movie file? If so, then go to the console and type

ignoreqtrate true

This will do a frame for frame and the playback rate will be determined by the Avid project/timeline.

Michael

24p.com

• Wed, May 28 2008 11:54 AM In reply to

...unless there is audio present, right?

Media Composer Symphony | PT Ultimate | Win10 HPZ | OSX MBP | ISIS5000 [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, May 28 2008 11:58 AM In reply to

• MichaelP
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Boston
    • Posts 2,444
    • Points 30,585
    • ! Avid Employee

Correct. It will strip the audio. I ,made the assumption of no audio becuase the sources were coming from the DI and VFX houses. So be aware, the console command is for picture only workflows.

Michael

24p.com

• Wed, May 28 2008 12:00 PM In reply to

• Evan Schiff
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,460

Oh cool, that will do exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks!

--Evan

• Sun, Jun 1 2008 10:29 AM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 938
    • Points 11,620

On the Cinema Tools thing, if you just want to change one file, drop that Quicktime file onto the Cinema Tools dock icon and that singe file will open in its own window, then just click 'Conform' and choose the rate you want.

• Thu, Jun 5 2008 1:57 AM In reply to

• DylanReeve
    • Top 50 Contributor
    • Auckland, New Zealand
    • Posts 1,680
    • Points 20,605
    • Moderator: MCA Mac
      Moderator: MCA PC

Isn't this a fairly simple metadata change in the QT file? Surely it should be fairly simple for a programmer familiar with the QT libraries?

One of the posters on REDUser posted a simple QT app that used QT libraries to essentially bypass the need for QT Pro, but allowing direct transcoding from one QT-supported file to another.

Various systems - including HP Z440 and Z840 workstations Media Composer 2018 [view my complete system specs]

Dylan Reeve - Edit Geek // Online/Offline Editor // Post Production Supervisor
    Auckland, New Zealand

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 2:09 PM In reply to

• mark.burton
    • Top 150 Contributor
    • London, UK
    • Posts 938
    • Points 11,620

I agree, you would think it would be a fairly simple Quicktime app to make, but I've been lookign for it for years and apart from Cinema Tools, I only ever found one other tool. I'm no programmer, but I was able to figure out what to change in the Quicktime file using the free Apple tool Dumpster. Essentially its a question of altering a few timeScale values in the atoms. However I've no idea how to wrap this process into a simple application the way Cinema Tools works.

Ultimately Avid adding the IgnoreQTRate feature has made this mute for me (big thank you to Avid designers) although I would like to see this speed change feature integrated into the Import and the Export windows.

• Sat, Jun 7 2008 3:24 PM In reply to

• Evan Schiff
    • Not Ranked
    • Los Angeles
    • Posts 120
    • Points 1,460

As Sycophant said, and having browsed around the Quicktime Kit for Cocoa-based applications, it seems like it would be fairly straightforward for someone who knows how to use Xcode. That would at least take care of the Mac side of things (nudge nudge to any Xcoders out there). Maybe when my current film ends I'll take a stab at learning how to make an app (or better yet, a droplet) like this. Oh to have free time... :)

--Evan

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller