Latest post Sat, Apr 25 2009 10:48 PM by Edit2007. 14 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Wed, Sep 12 2007 12:46 AM

• Mr_Magoo
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Sep 11 2007
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Converting FCP Timeline to Avid Sequences

I am currently converting 12 edit bays from final cut pro over to Avid Media Composers. We have hundereds of fcp shows that may need to be re-edited in Avid.

I know that I can convert final cut pro timelines through automatic duck, then import them into Avid (with some limitaions). But then I believe the original source material needs to be recaptured, I will not always have the original tapes, but I have all the original final cut pro quicktime source files.

My question is - is it possible to import the originnal quicktime files into Avid and the re-link these files to the automatic duck imported sequence?
  • Wed, Sep 12 2007 8:46 AM In reply to

Re: Converting FCP Timeline to Avid Sequences

from another post on these boards:

Moving from FCP to AVID

Until AVID makes it possible to directly import a FCP project, here's a work-around posted by Mark Burton that may help:

There is one way in which you can avoid recapture, but it relies on a number of things. First I think you need to have been diligent when logging and capturing in FCP, i.e. are your browser clip names the same as the files in your capture scratch? If not it will make this process harder and will take longer. Ok, for now concentrate on Master clips only (Subclips are a bit more complex and i will explain them if you find this first part useful!).
    Put all your Master Clips in a new bin, select them all and export a Batch List. You will need to have the following showing in your Browser columns:

- Name
    - Media Start
    - Media End
    - Tracks
    - Reel
    - Type
    - Audio

Close FCP. Open Sebsky Tools and choose 'fcp2ale'. Select the Batch List you just created and make sure it says "Convert - Clips Only"in the menu selection at the bottom of the window. Import the resulting ALE into a new Bin in Xpress Pro. Select all the clips in Xpress Pro and go to the Bin menu and click "Batch Import". In the window go through each Master clip and select which Quicktime file (your original media from the FCP capture) you want that Master Clip associated with. This could take some time, but totally depends on how well the FCP project media was handled in the first place and the number of Master Clips!! When you have finished linking them all, they will Batch Import and Xpress Pro will create OMFI media for each clip in the bin. Make sure you have enough space as the media will be duplicated to the Avid 'OMFI Mediafiles' folder. The TC's will all match as will the Reel/Tape numbers. You may be able to take across other info such as comments etc by having these visible in the FCP Browser columns when making the Batch List. Subclips require a few more steps, but it does work and I have been able to get them across and to re-link to the media using Sebsky. I found that the built in tool in Sebsky to select Subclips when making the ALE does not work, so I used a slightly different method. Forgot to add, when you bring in your edit via OMF from FCP using Automatic Duck, you are then able to re-link the edit to these clips, so you have basically moved the project.
    1xMacPro dual quad 3.0Ghz 10GB RAM with Symphony6 + Mojo DX; 1xMacPro dual quad 3.0Ghz 8GB RAM with MC6+ Kona LHi; 1xMacPro dual quad Westmere 2.4GHz with... [view my complete system specs]
  • Wed, Sep 12 2007 9:50 AM In reply to

• Flavio
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Posts 231
    • Points 3,085

You´re moving from FCP to Avid Media Composer Adrenaline.

That´s interesting.

Can you tell us why you made that decission?

Flavio.
  • Wed, Sep 12 2007 11:01 AM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,780

Flavio:
    You´re moving from FCP to Avid Media Composer Adrenaline.

That´s interesting.

Can you tell us why you made that decission?

Flavio.

With the risk to "launch" another topic !

Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

"out of difficulty comes performance"

Web site : www.audiacom.com

• Wed, Sep 12 2007 11:09 AM In reply to

• Flavio
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Posts 231
    • Points 3,085

I don´t think It´s out of  place to know the reasons of someone to go the Avid way...

... so we can feel goog about ourselfs...

Flavio...
  • Wed, Sep 12 2007 11:21 AM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,780

For sure...
    Adrenaline MCA 2.8 XW8400 3Gb RAM DNxcel Board, 760 Gb striped SCSI media storage, 1.2 TB 4 X striped SAS 15 000rpm storage.----MC Soft 2.8 + Mojo HP XW8000... [view my complete system specs]

sep

• Wed, Sep 12 2007 5:37 PM In reply to

• Mr_Magoo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

It stems from a corporate decision to eliminate all Mac computers, are department is one of the few that still uses the Macs. I first learned non-linear editing on the Avid and found the switch to Final Cut Pro frustrating, like editing with mittens on. Now after being off the Avid for 3 years, I hope switching back will not be difficult.
  • Wed, Sep 12 2007 5:44 PM In reply to

• Mr_Magoo
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 3
    • Points 45

Thanks for the information, it is greatly appreciated.
  • Wed, Sep 12 2007 11:54 PM In reply to

• sep
    • Top 25 Contributor
    • France
    • Posts 5,593
    • Points 62,780

Mr_Magoo:
    It stems from a corporate decision to eliminate all Mac computers, are department is one of the few that still uses the Macs. I first learned non-linear editing on the Avid and found the switch to Final Cut Pro frustrating, like editing with mittens on. Now after being off the Avid for 3 years, I hope switching back will not be difficult.

I won't, don't worry, anyway, welcome back to the Avid world.Smile

BTW, if you know Auto Duck, I unfortunately have no further clue !Sorry.

sep

• Thu, Sep 13 2007 2:04 AM In reply to

I highly apreciate to read finally a thread about people coming back to Avid and not viceversa, as often told.

Welcome back!

If you only want to "beam" your timelines from FCP and recaptrue than your media, here´s the
    0$- way I made it a few time.

Export from FCP your timeline as SONY-9100-type EDL.
    Copy it to your Avid workstation or to a network drive available from Avid.
    Start your Avid application. Open a bin.
    Open your EDL into the EDL Manager.
    Transfer into Editor.
    Dont be iritated about some silly things shown up with your new timeline (I work in PAL world. My PAL-FCP-timeline first shows up as an NTSC timeline, that wont play bwfore decompose)
    Decompose your timeline.
    Batch digitize your media.
    Admire the frame accurate transfer.
    Be happy your on Avid. (Ok, ok, before some people will beat me: FCP is not sooo bad)

HTH

pixel
    iMac Mid 2016 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / 32 GB RAM / MCA 2019.12 / MojoDX / Adobe CC 2018 / MBPro Mid 2015 / High Sierra 10.13.6 / 16 GB RAM / MC 2019.12... [view my complete system specs]

What is editing? It´s the process of transforming a collection of badly focussed or horribly framed shots containing reversed screen directions, flare and dirt into a smooth visual statement of the script... ... for which the director takes the credit!

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 4:58 PM In reply to

• Edit2007
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Tue, Dec 5 2006
    • Posts 78
    • Points 945

Where do I get Sebsky? I used to have it in my edit room while working for a company that asked to edit a few videos on FCP....but that was two years ago or so.
  • Sat, Apr 25 2009 5:44 PM In reply to

• J. Difool
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, Nov 2 2006
    • Posts 17
    • Points 235

You can find Sebsky Tools here:

http://www.peterhaasfilms.com/peterhaasFILMS/News/3CB319EB-E474-4F14-A788-03FC6B05800C.html

Good luck!

Best,

JDf

• Sat, Apr 25 2009 8:31 PM In reply to

• Edit2007
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 78
    • Points 945

Hi, once (white and red logo at your desktop from FCP) you have the Batch Listhow do you save it again so Avid can accept it as a file import? I am trying but Avid keeps telling me "The file format of "..." is not supported for import. Simple text? tried that too.
  • Sat, Apr 25 2009 8:33 PM In reply to

• Edit2007
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 78
    • Points 945

Thank you KDF, I just wrote to Pixels, letme know if you know the trick. Thanks
  • Sat, Apr 25 2009 10:48 PM In reply to

• Edit2007
    • Not Ranked
    • Posts 78
    • Points 945

Any help on how to translate the text out of the Sebsky software so I can import it to Avid???
Page 1 of 1 (15 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller