Latest post Mon, May 6 2024 4:05 PM by Ajay Yumul. 5 replies.
Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
Sort Posts: Previous Next
  • Sat, Apr 13 2024 7:00 PM

• Tim Tommasino
    • Not Ranked
    • Joined on Thu, May 5 2011
    • Simi Valley, CA
    • Posts 18
    • Points 235

Trying to move my perpetual MC to new computer

Hello all.  I have't used my MC for almost 2 years, and now I would like to continue using it on my new (new to me) MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) Moneterey 12.7.4.  I downloaded Avid Link and am able to log on.  I go to "My Products" and I see "Perpetual MC".  It shows this message, "Your Software Updates + Support Planexpired onSep 20, 2022", which is to be expected.  There is also, "See my renewal option", which takes me to, "Redeem Product Code to Renew".  I then tried entering my activation ID, but was met with, "invalid".  I don't necessarily need a softward update and I don't want to pay for another Support Plan.  My goal is to use the version that I paid $1500 for already.  Do I NEED to do some kind of an upgrade?  If so, what was the point of buying a perpetual license?  Any advice would be truly appreciated.

THANK YOU!

Tim Tommasino

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) Monterey 12.7.4 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4 2.2 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i7 [view my complete system specs]
  • Sun, Apr 14 2024 1:51 PM In reply to

Re: Trying to move my perpetual MC to new computer

Hi Tim,

If I'm reading all that correctly, you need an installer for whatever version you were running 2 years ago. If you can load that onto the new machine, your existing perpetual license should still be able to run whatever version you were running before.

The problem is Avid no longer maintains all the old versions in the download center, so you'll have to find someone who downloaded the version you need prior to Avid removing the installers.

So what version were you running?

Media Composer 2024.2 w/Symphony/SS/PF options, HP Z-Book G6 17", i7-9850H 2.60GHz, 32gb RAM, NVIDIA Quadro RTX 3000, Blackmagic UltraStudio Mini... [view my complete system specs]

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who only consider the price are this man's lawful prey."  - John Ruskin (1819-1900)

Carl Amoscato | Freelance Film & Video Editor | London, UK

• Mon, Apr 15 2024 6:28 PM In reply to

Tim;

You go to the "License" section in Avid Link, then enter manually your System ID and Activation ID that you have for your perpetual license. These two codes can be found at your avid.com account, under "My Products." I don't remember now which version/OS that no longer allowed hardware dongles, so if you have one you may have to get it converted to a software license.

Best,

J

Custom, i9-13900K, AMD 6900XT, 64 GB RAM, m.2 SSD, 10gige to TB, BM SDI 4k (BMDTV 12.8), Mac OS 14.4. MC 2024.2 [email protected] [view my complete system specs]
  • Mon, Apr 15 2024 6:55 PM In reply to

Tim Tommasino:

Hello all.  I have't used my MC for almost 2 years, and now I would like to continue using it on my new (new to me) MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) Moneterey 12.7.4.  I downloaded Avid Link and am able to log on.  I go to "My Products" and I see "Perpetual MC".  It shows this message, "Your Software Updates + Support Planexpired onSep 20, 2022", which is to be expected.  There is also, "See my renewal option", which takes me to, "Redeem Product Code to Renew".  I then tried entering my activation ID, but was met with, "invalid".  I don't necessarily need a softward update and I don't want to pay for another Support Plan.  My goal is to use the version that I paid $1500 for already.  Do I NEED to do some kind of an upgrade?  If so, what was the point of buying a perpetual license?  Any advice would be truly appreciated.

THANK YOU!

Tim Tommasino

Hi Tim,

As per Carl mentioned we no longer have the installer in the Avid Download Center. But, you can join the Media Composer User Facebook group and ask the folks there if they have a copy of installer for your MC version.

Once you downloaded the version, you just need to install it and activate using your system ID and Activation ID.

Below is the KB article on how to activate in Avid Link.

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites.com/pkb/articles/en_US/how_to/How-to-Activate-Media-Composer-in-Avid-Link#:~:text=Using%20the%20same%20steps%20as,Click%20Activate.

Also, here is the version matrix KB article that can also guide you on what is the version of MC that is suitable for your OS.

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites.com/pkb/articles/en_US/compatibility/en267087

Please take note that the version of MC is dependent on the support contract date that is set to it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Ajay

• Sat, May 4 2024 5:04 AM In reply to

• dreid
    • Top 500 Contributor
    • Joined on Thu, Oct 13 2005
    • Toronto
    • Posts 228
    • Points 3,085

Please correct me if I am wrong, but the Avid KB article states that, as of Nov 2023, only "Media Composer 7.0.16 & before" will not be available in the download center. Why then when I look at what is available to me, it is only very recent versions that came out in October 2023 or later? So exactly what versions of Avid Media Composer are still being made available to download? FYI, I am looking for 2021.2.
    MC 8.5.3, DNxIO w/ 10.5.4, Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, Dell 7910, Dual 10 core Xeon 3.10, 128 GB DDR4 RAM, Quadro K5200, 1 TB SSD system drive, 1 TB SSD cache... [view my complete system specs]

And back to a windowless room full of Avids he goes.

• Mon, May 6 2024 4:05 PM In reply to

Hi dreid,

Here's the most current Avid KB article for the Media Composer installer details in the Avid Download Center.

https://avidtech.my.salesforce-sites.com/pkb/articles/en_US/Knowledge/Media-Composer-Versions-on-the-Download-Center

The earliest version for v2021 that is found in the downlod center is 2021.12.10

If you are looking for the installer for the prior version, I would suggest for you to check it out in the Avid Media Composer User Facebook group as some of the users may have access to it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/mediacomposer

Thanks,

Ajay

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)

© Copyright 2011 Avid Technology, Inc.  Terms of Use |  Privacy Policy |  Site Map |  Find a Reseller